Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm sick but I have to go to work...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've basically got either bronchitis or the flu. I've not been feeling too well for a few weeks now but the last couple of days it's got really bad. I've been sleeping for 20 hours on the trot, nearly fainted a couple of times, I had a fever but it broke (thank god), coughing (but not as much as I should be), headachey etc.

Sadly though I work for a really small workplace and they can't cover my three shifts this weekend. Sadly this means I have to sit outside in the cold from 10pm-7am, 9pm-7am and then 6pm-1am. I can't call in sick because everybody else is ill.

I can't work indoors as there is no room for the cloakroom indoors and working behind the bar I think would be worse as I'd be moving around whereas the cloakroom I can sort of sit around and do nothing.

I've been dosing up on paracetmol, vitamin C tablets and orange juice, drinking lots of water and hot drinks. Has anybody got a temporary quick fix that I can use till I can get to the doctors on Monday.

Btw, I'd just like to have a mini rant about the NHS in my local area. The NHS advertises that there is a local walk in centre that actually closed down about 5 years ago. I've spent the last two years trying to get onto the local list and each time they've said there is no room. Go to this place. Then I go to the place they tell me to and they say that I'm out of the catchment area. I finally managed to sign up after throwing a MASSIVE strop in the doctors' surgery yesterday and when I asked for an emergency appointment they told me to "come back sometime next week and queue".

Effing ridiculous.

Comments

• Options
    Hm...sounds a bit like me when I had Glandular Fever. I'm not saying it is it just sounds like similar symptoms.
    If you think it's flu have you tried the flue remadies? Just remember most contain paracetamol so don't take extra paracetamol unless it clearly states they don't. I heard a bad story about someone doing that on placement today :(

Really you should try and get off work, it's never good to go in ill :no:
    Let them see how ill you are tonight and hopefully they will let you go early!

Try going the doctors when you next can and get it sorted :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll send me home early or something. I called in sick a couple of weeks ago with the same thing but it's like a million times worse.

I have a freelance job as well and my boss called me yesterday. I said to her I have mild pneumonia because it feels like it and she keeps ringing me at all hours of the day about things. I know that they have a deadline but I really feel unwell and have to spend my time tidying up after other people. Anyway, she phoned me again today and is asking me to do some work. I'm like... I'm sick.... and she said she hopes I get better soon and that she'll call me in like three hours to talk about this work. How am I supposed to be able to be able to do this work when I can barely spell my own name at the moment!?
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd phone in sick then turn your phone off. Its not fair for them to be badgering you when your unable to work.
  • Options
    I'm going to go into work but hopefully they'll take pity on me and let me go home. I don't think it's going to be overly busy tonight so I think they might take pity. If anything they should let me have the rest of the weekend off.

And for the freelancing gig I just e-mailed my boss saying "I took a look at the website but at the moment I'm barely in a state to be on the computer. I've made some notes but I feel too unwell to work. I understand that this is very important but I need a few days to feel better."