Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Flab

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I've been really down lately. I've been overweight since childhood and so have never been a fan of wearing skirts. However, I'd love to wear one but I hate my knees. I have this flab that sits on the inside of my knees and looks really ugly. Does anyone else here have that? I've seen lots of chunky ladies wearing skirts, but I seem to be the only one with this 'flab' on the inside of the knees. I hate it and am considering having lipo on it I'm so down about it. Not sure what responses I'll get, I just needed somewhere to vent I suppose. Is it genetic? I know I can't spot reduce, so am I just abnormal>>? :(

Comments

• Options
    im favouring the leggings under short skirt thing, as my confidence is v low at the moment. do you think it would help yours to do the same?
  • Options
    I used to be fixated on my "fat knees" and did millions of step-ups (I don't know if that's the technical name for them?) every day. They made my legs incredibly strong and toned, not so sure if they made one jot of difference to my despised knees. Eventually real life got in the way of this obsession and I forgot all about my hugly obese knees... until I saw a recent photo and realised I've actually got knobbly knees which are the other end of the scale... what was I thinking?

Anyway are you doing any general exercise? Slimming down/toning up your legs (and body) generally will help. However it's worth bearing in mind that our legs have a natural shape... some people have legs with a shape where they go in at the knee so to speak. Some people have straight up-and-down pipe cleaner legs. Some really slim people have shapeless legs, and some have fairly chunky knees. There's only so much we can do to change this, and I think liposuction to remove knee fat is fairly extreme - though I don't doubt it's performed, and regularly, and if it's what will make you ultimately happy then it's worth looking into. But my suggestion is this - try exercise by all means, but also try accepting your strong legs that carry you all over the place and probably - if you're honest with yourself - don't look even a tiny fraction as bad as you make out.

Oh, and the leggings/tights suggestion is a good'un. Though in summer you should just get 'em out. The obviously solution to this problem is confidence (or don't-give-a-fuckery, which is my attitude of choice) but obviously that's easier said than done. It will hopefully come with time, and age, and experience :)
  • Options
    Unfortunately Briggi, it's not as simple as just getting them out there. I won't do it whilst they look like this. To me, they look hideous and I'm ashamed that they're in that state.
    Secondly, yes, I exercise. I use a stepper every other day for about 30 minutes and other things like weights. I'm still about 2 stone over weight, but it's a long and slow process losing weight so I don't expect miracles. I am pretty sure though, that my natural leg shape doesn't include a flabby inner thigh/knee-bit!!!!
    I've tried leggings, and they look horrendous. The blob of flab just looks more pronounced because they're skin tight.
    I suppose at the end of the day I'll have to wait to see if losing weight does the trick. I'm just sick of wearing trousers :(
  • Options
    Aw, I'm sorry for going all "motivational speaker" on you, it sounds as though it's really getting you down :( Ok well in that case maybe you could try focusing on exercises that really work the lower part of the body (er, i.e. the legs, I shouldn't even attempt to use fitness jargon). There are loads of fab fitness experts on here - not sure if you've been in the Weightloss and Fitness thread yet? It sounds as though you're on the right track though.

Do you cycle at all? When I've gone through periods of using my bike to get around I always see a marked improvement in the way my legs look.
  • Options
    The other thing you should bear in mind is that 40's pencil skirts which go below your knee are very much in fashion at the moment - so you can cover up your knees and still wear a sexy fashionable skirt!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    The other thing you should bear in mind is that 40's pencil skirts which go below your knee are very much in fashion at the moment - so you can cover up your knees and still wear a sexy fashionable skirt!

:yes:

Maybe if you hate your knee's that much you could try this fashion. There are some really nice skirts out there at the moment which come just below the knee - floaty ones for summer and tight pencil ones with waist belts for winter.

Also apparently maxi-long skirts are supposed to be in fashion this summer (according to heat!) so maybe you should stop worrying about them so much and invest in some nice longer skirts. I bet your legs aren't that bad. It sounds to me that your fixated on a part of your body and have a bit of a warped image of it. I'm sure if you asked a friend they wouldn't even notice what your going on about!