Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New Labour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When the local elections come round in may ...please please please ...don't vote for them. If your a DIE HARD LABOUR SUPPORTER THEN THATS EVEN MORE REASON TO GIVE THIS LOT THE BOOT.
tHREATENING PEOPLE ...THE JOBLESS TO BE THROWN OUT OF THEIR HOMES ...ADDICTS TO HAVE THEIR BENEFITS STOPPED ...SINGLE MOTHERS THE SICK ETC ETC ...THEY Have BEcome even scarier than the thatcherites were.
Dont vOte labour ...opps bleedin caps.

Comments

• Options
    budda wrote: »
    You're right, clearly the actual truth is that Gordon Brown is the biggest heroin dealer in the history of the World. .
    ...see bong knows what he's talking about.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rolly...

As much as I would like to get these Conservative fuckers out...

Who the HELL do I vote for instead? Can hardly vote Cameron in... and well, the Liberal Party make thier own case for why not to bother...

... anyone up for a Revolution? I got a few hours free tomorow!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Rolly...

Who the HELL do I vote for instead? Can hardly vote Cameron in... and well, the Liberal Party make thier own case for why not to bother...

... anyone up for a Revolution? I got a few hours free tomorow!
    The ideal would be a hung parliament ...the lot of them ...apart from Dennis Skinner of course.
  • Options
    My biggest problem is the party I'd like to vote for is the SNP but they won't stand in Bristol. :(
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    My biggest problem is the party I'd like to vote for is the SNP but they won't stand in Bristol. :(

I know. It's like they don't want their policies to be decided by England.
    I know people say that the green party will never get in, but 6 years ago I was certain that the BNP would never get many votes. I know a few people who just vote for random communist parties, but whoever gets elected is going to be selfish, stupid and aiming to waste as much money as possible.
  • Options
    i will be voting labour,
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »

The LibDems could not possibly do worse than Labour.

Tuition fees, then top-up fees, a New Labour invention. City academies are a similar disgrace - Labour is allowing minority religious groups to influence state education. For creationism to be given any credence in a state school is outrageous.

Labour has a complete lack of principles: just as Labour have failed to support millions of ordinary people they've failed to stand up for modern, liberal values - like free speech. They've hounded smokers and unleashed a ghastly uncompromising smoking ban - that doesn't even exempt a shisha pipe in a hookah bar or a cigar in a cigar bar.

What's been Labour's biggest achievement? The economy? I don't think so. To some people - gay rights perhaps. Although, it's worth noting that most of their 'achievements' only happened through continued pressure from activists and more than anything pressure from Europe. But - oh, lets not forget, Labour did ban fox hunting and successfully spent hundreds and hundreds of hours of parliamentary time on a vendetta against rural England - which has made so much difference. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The ideal would be a hung parliament ...the lot of them ...apart from Dennis Skinner of course.

We'd have to draw and quarter him as well...
  • Options
    but whoever gets elected is going to be selfish, stupid and aiming to waste as much money as possible.

and that's the most unfortunate thing about politics :thumb:
  • Options
    We'd have to draw and quarter him as well...

But he's the only entertaining one left!
  • Options
    But he's the only entertaining one left!

Well a good hanging, drawing and quartering always used to draw the crowds...
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    i will be voting labour,

Scab! :p
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    i will be voting labour,
    I think you'll find your voting New Tory.
  • Options
    A couple of reasons not to vote for New Labour:

Health: Spending has been more than tripled on the NHS, from £35billion in 1997 to around £110billion come 2010, yet productivity is down. Most of the extra money has been wasted on consultants, management and countless reforms. Worsening problems with MRSA in hospitals. Prescriptions up to over £7 in England next month, whilst scrapped entirely in Wales, with plans to do the same in Scotland. Drugs to deal with Alzheimer's available in Scotland, yet denied in England and Wales. Deal with GPs in 2004 means they're paid an average of £113,000 a year, yet do seven hours less work per week.

Education: Countless independent reports claim that standards are falling. A-Level and GCSE results up each year, yet constant tinkering with the exams. British children now amongst some of the most tested in the world. University students now leave with an average of £12,000 debt, thanks to £3k a year tuition fees that are due to be reviewed (and no doubt increased) in 2009. Record numbers of students leaving school unable to read or write properly.

Transport: The roads are still gridlocked, yet nothing is done about it. Tax on fuel is up massively since Labour came to power, with another 2p increase immiment next month. As a result, petrol is an average of £1.09 a litre at the moment. Congestion charge in London up from £5 a day to potentially £25 per day in the name of saving a couple of polar bears. Railways are improving somewhat, yet huge variations across the UK still remain. Train ticket prices continue to increase faster than the rate of inflation, yet network capacity does not. Some rail journeys so expensive that it's actually cheaper to fly to the desination by plane! The price of public transport has increasing in much of the UK, partly to subsidise free travel for the elderly.

Economy: Gordon Brown raised taxes in obscure ways for many years, instead of having the courage to argue honestly for tax increases. National Insurance contributions up 1p on his watch to help fund NHS, but largely wasted. (see above) Sold British gold at a rate of $245 per ounce, gold is now worth nearly $1000 an ounce. Ignored Adam Smith's principles on taxation - that they should be easy to collect and understood by those expected to pay them. Introduced a new benefits system so complicated that billions goes unclaimed every year. Stole over £100billion from UK pension funds, result being the virtual elimination of the final salary pension in the private sector. In 2007, Brown used his last Budget to present a tax hike for the poorest as a tax increase. The 22% tax rate was reduced to 20%, yet abolishment of 10% rate means those on lowest wages will see take-home pay fall. Repeatedly announced crackdowns on millionaires who don't pay tax which all came to nothing - how else would someone from private equity be able to claim he pays less tax than his minimum wage cleaner? Gap between rich and poorer in this country is actually WIDER now than in 1997!

Immigration: Government openly admits it hasn't the faintest idea how many illegals are in the country. In the meantime, it treats legal migrants with contempt and sends home people who've been working hard here for many years. Immigrants arriving at one-a-minute, according to Migrationwatch.

Civil liberties: Since 2001, there has been an endless assault on your freedom. Fewer terrorist attacks in the UK than for many years, yet endless talk about the terrorist threat we apparently face. Former Commisioner of the Met says there are at least 100 potential Islamic terrorists in the UK, government admits it doesn't know if that's true. White elephant that is ID cards being introduced, students to be used as the first set of gerbils in this experiment - they'll have to get ID cards when they apply for student loans in 2010. Government lies that scheme will not be compulsory. Over 4 million CCTV cameras in Britain, thousands more speed cameras, around 800 government agencies currently allowed to intercept your data. Right to protest in Parliament Square has been effectively removed.

Crime: Risible failure to take long-term view and policies mean that prisons are now full, yet Jack Straw claims not to lose any sleep over the matter. ASBOs used far too extensively, even to the point where mentally handicapped children are given them.

And that's just a small part of the list!
  • Options
    I'm voting UKIP.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'm voting UKIP.
    AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Ignore everything i said ...VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
  • Options
    In the interests of fairness, (not that they deserve it) here's New Labour's own list of their top 50 achievements - click here. Great if you fancy a laugh.
  • Options
    Just a quick question, if labour got the boot, would we still have the NHS? Thats not sarcasm, I've just always wondered what would happen!
  • Options
    kateuk20 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, if labour got the boot, would we still have the NHS? Thats not sarcasm, I've just always wondered what would happen!

We managed to keep it between 1979 and 1997, so I would guess the answer would be 'yes'
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Ignore everything i said ...VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR
    VOTE NEW LABOUR

:thumb: LOL.

As is sucessfully pointed out... the options are twice as bad as New Labservative.

So anyone... come on... let's revolt! First! We shall steal TANKS.
  • Options
    the only good things i can see about new Labour : minimum wage, Paternity Leave and free nursery places for three and four year olds. Children's act 2002 was an important advance too, as has been the introduction of the EYPS.

Can you tell i'm not really into political stuff?