Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are you happy ith this STATE of affairs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Great Britain-surely the most advanced police state in Europe:

· ID cards with facial scans will soon be compulsory throughout U.K.(104)

· There are over 4 million closed circuit cameras monitoring every move the British people make and all faces caught on camera can be matched with a national data bank.(105)

· British police are carrying hand held DNA kits linked to national data bases for when they test saliva.(106)

· People are being pulled off London trains at random and forced to submit to a full body backscatter X-ray to reveal what they have under their clothes.(107)

· Swipe cards used for transportation and building entry allow police to plot a citizen's every move on a dot map.(108)

· All moving vehicles in Britain are camera-recorded so that police can analyze, by license number, every journey, and every gas purchase made.(109)

· People and vehicles are being tracked from cell towers with a new technology called "Celldar" (as in radar).(110)

Comments

• Options

· There are over 4 million closed circuit cameras monitoring every move the British people make and all faces caught on camera can be matched with a national data bank.(105)

· British police are carrying hand held DNA kits linked to national data bases for when they test saliva.(106)

· People are being pulled off London trains at random and forced to submit to a full body backscatter X-ray to reveal what they have under their clothes.(107)

· Swipe cards used for transportation and building entry allow police to plot a citizen's every move on a dot map.(108)

· All moving vehicles in Britain are camera-recorded so that police can analyze, by license number, every journey, and every gas purchase made.(109)

· People and vehicles are being tracked from cell towers with a new technology called "Celldar" (as in radar).(110)

Peopel are happy now, because their bellies are full and they have distractions for entertainment.

Let's see what they reckon in 18 months time when there are food riots and power failures.
  • Options

Even worse are the future plans to add number plate recognition cameras almost everywhere so they know who is where and when they are there

ETA you already basically covered this, the world is going, well the Uk anyway. SECURITY MAD
  • Options
    No, I'm not happy about this state of affairs. I'm hopping fucking mad about it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    No, I'm not happy about this state of affairs. I'm hopping fucking mad about it.

Is there anything you can do about it ...i pressume this is being recorded against me right now ...
  • Options
    Is there anything you can do about it ...i presume this is being recorded against me right now ...
    Good question. All I know is, no matter what you try, you'll come up against a wall of opposition. For example, if you want to get rid of speed cameras, you'll get coppers everywhere protesting about it. We all know what Dick Brunstrom would think of such an idea...
  • Options
    no that's why i'm leaving. unfortunately to get away from this kind of madness you have to leave most of the developed world behind, which is why it's taking longer than i'd like....funny thing is i actually sell the storage systems to governments, police forces and public transport companies that record all this data so it's quite ironic, something i didn't foresee when taking the job!
  • Options
    GDick Brunstrom.

I owuldn';t slag him, he's all on for letting drugs be used medicinally and more
  • Options
    The current state of affairs in Britain is just frightnening. It just scares the crap out of me. And there's nothing anyone can do! This is a bit of a tangent, but: almost every time I fly through the UK or the US, my mum (who's indian) gets randomly picked for a security check, and our baggage gets rummaged through almost every time as well. It's so fucking orwellian it makes my palms sweat just to think about it.
  • Options
    I think its ridiculous. As hyacinth girl mentioned - Its like that book 1984 by George Orwell... big brother is watching you. Can't do anything without being watched. Its frightenening. The worlds gone bloody mad.
  • Options

· There are over 4 million closed circuit cameras monitoring every move the British people make and all faces caught on camera can be matched with a national data bank.(105) Yes there are 4 million cameras, but they aren't all linked and the images are normally shockingly bad. And no we don't have access to some massive database of faces

· British police are carrying hand held DNA kits linked to national data bases for when they test saliva.(106) No we aren't

· People are being pulled off London trains at random and forced to submit to a full body backscatter X-ray to reveal what they have under their clothes.(107) I doubt they are "random", random searches are illegal unless there is a section 60 authorisation in place, and these searches are for weapons to protect the rest of you

· Swipe cards used for transportation and building entry allow police to plot a citizen's every move on a dot map.(108) Again you're assuming we have access to records from every company that uses swipe card system. The only monitoring systems we have in place are to monitor activity on police swipe cards

· All moving vehicles in Britain are camera-recorded so that police can analyze, by license number, every journey, and every gas purchase made.(109) ANPR use is widespread throughout the country, however the only journeys that are recorded are ones made by vehicles that have had reports placed on file, ie stolen ones. The rest is just laughable, even if we could why would we want to know how much petrol you've bought?

· People and vehicles are being tracked from cell towers with a new technology called "Celldar" (as in radar).(110)If we need to we can track someone's movements through their mobile phone. But the conditions to be able to use this are very strict. IE there has to be an immediate or impending threat to life, we can't just monitor people who we don't like
    You really are paranoid Rolly.
  • Options
    They can watch me as they want. Must be really boring though because I'm a :angel:
  • Options
    Good post whowhere, people just assume because there is a security measure in place to record something that their whole life is being watched by someone.

I'm waiting for someone to complain about the metal detectors at train stations, but i'm sure they would have a different opinion if they were ever confronted with a knife on a train.

Be realistic, all the things cost money, we're lucky we have them in the first place so unless they are making an impact on crime, we wouldn't have a use for them.

The only security liess in arming everyone.
  • Options
    Yes it has, people blowing themselves up and killing hundreds, children take knives on trains but you want to stop any security measures that are needed to protect you?

I see your point, but do you think it will do any good?
    All i meant was its frightening that its come to needing all these measures to protect ourselves, the idea is there, and its a good idea but will the police and government etc use it to full effect and lock away the offenders?
    More and more criminals are getting "let off" going to jail because the jails are full, and thats not good. :banghead:
  • Options
    Question for one of Blunkett's Bobbies... :p
    Whowhere wrote: »
    There are over 4 million closed circuit cameras monitoring every move the British people make and all faces caught on camera can be matched with a national data bank.(105) Yes there are 4 million cameras, but they aren't all linked and the images are normally shockingly bad. And no we don't have access to some massive database of faces
    Alright, try this for size, guv'nor. Now, you say that these CCTV images are "normally shockingly bad". This means that they would almost certainly be inadmissible as evidence in a court case and would be next to useless for trying to identify who was responsible for a crime. In that case, what's the point of having so many cameras?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    In that case, what's the point of having so many cameras?

A visual deterrent? Doesnt work mind.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    · People are being pulled off London trains at random and forced to submit to a full body backscatter X-ray to reveal what they have under their clothes.(107) I doubt they are "random", random searches are illegal unless there is a section 60 authorisation in place, and these searches are for weapons to protect the rest of you

I've had two on railway stations in the last 6 months alone - both under Section 60. I've managed to avoid a further two by showing railway ID.

Rather interestingly both times I have been 'asked' if I have any weapons (not checked) and then they've run a check to see if I have any 'previous'.
  • Options
    yea england is getting to be a great country for criminals we expect technology to replace hard working police officers although technology does have its place, I think DNA testing is a good idea providing we don't go bonkers with it and make it into a perfect solution without taking other things into account.

its ironical that while we make it easier to catch people when we do we let them off more and more lightly, if your underage feel free to commit murder you'l only get 12 months and your parents won't even be deemed incapable of bringing you up. it seems nowadays we jump on silly things and let big things go
  • Options
    An you were the one complaining all we did was complain these days MR :p you've turned into one of those old codgers you feared so much yourself!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah man, I am happy.

Always wanted a police state, it'd be like christmas if christmas was getting arrested and jailed and having no privacy. Hey, that's better than christmas!

It's like being in the USSR!

Hey, wait a sec...
  • Options
    Question for one of Blunkett's Bobbies... :p Alright, try this for size, guv'nor. Now, you say that these CCTV images are "normally shockingly bad". This means that they would almost certainly be inadmissible as evidence in a court case and would be next to useless for trying to identify who was responsible for a crime. In that case, what's the point of having so many cameras?

I'll ignore the Blunkett remark......

And yes, most CCTV images are inadmissibile. The only systems we ever get decent images from are normally the ones inside shops or the ones installed and maintained by the police.
    The rest rely on a lot more than facial recognition to get a conviction. The beauty of me working in the same small town for 5 years means I can recognise clothing, and mannerisms. A few times we've got convictions based on my evidence, because I can say with 100% certainty that Joe Bloggs was wearing exactly the same jacket when I saw him 2 hours before the attack, or Simon Bloggs walks with that sort of limp e.t.c.

JST has proven my point that they are searching people for weapons, and seem to be doing it in a reasonable way, ie asking people and checking them out before physically searching you.
    I'd argue that searching people on the transport network for weapons is a good thing.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    An you were the one complaining all we did was complain these days MR :p you've turned into one of those old codgers you feared so much yourself!

mmmmm! i thought i might have to explain to my grandchildren one day about an old fashioned rather quaint thing called privacy and freedom but it seems it needs explaining to people a lot older than that.
    So ...instead of educating people ...training people and punishing people where needed ...to become better citezens ...we take the easy way out and just treat EVERYONE as a suspect?
    ...and don't give me that terrorist bollox that was created by the state in the first place ...your more likely to die from being hit by a bleedin meteorite!
    As for dicky brunstrom StarG ...i quite like the guy.
    He strikes me as being something of a peoples copper. Hre is an inteligent and hard working guy.
    Most chief constables are only ever seen in public in their braided finery ...not this guy ...he's out in his stab proof vest working the streets!
    He is also not afraid of upsetting the suits ...he talks the truth about drugs and gets attacked for it but he still persists.
    And he had him self tazered! Every other Cheif constable in the land would have barked an order 'Find me a man i can shoot' ...but not this guy ...'FIND SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO SHOOT THE BOSS'!
    I think the people of North Wales should be proud of this guy.
  • Options
    It's a lot more simple than that though. In the past we didn't have the means to help people and catch criminals like we do now.

Sow hen there is a problem like youths carrying knives on trains why shouldn't we use it?

You totally miss the point about why the measures are there.
    Matt i can see why people feel safe with this all seeing eye ...
  • Options
    Matt i can see why people feel safe with this all seeing eye ...

The state surveillance system has taken the place of god as being omnipresent and omniscient :-)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Imagine a time when people aren't registered anywhere. You could get up and leave, and go somewhere else, and no one would know where you came from, nor would they be able to find out except by chance. And people from the place where you left wouldn't be able to find you except by chance either. And even in the same city, people who were in a place could only know that you were or weren't in the same place as them. I suppose that would be the ultimate privacy.
    Of course, in those times all a criminal had to do was move away and they'd be able to continue their criminal activities elsewhere. You could kill 10 people and leave the city, travel far, and they'd never know who did it nor would people who see you elsewhere know that you were a killer.

If things become like the first post here describes, and more things (like a DNA database) come into being, it will be the total opposite: Everyone with the proper authority will be able to know where you've been and what you did, all the time.
    At the same time, if this goes to the extreme, crimes will be practically impossible to commit, since there couldn't be a way you could commit one without someone with authority know you did. And even if you did it, there's no way you could leave without getting caught.

So we have two opposites. Both of them have a very good thing, both of them have a very bad thing. It's a matter of finding a good median, or choosing one evil over another.
    Personally, I'm undecided.
  • Options
    He [Richard Brunstrom] strikes me as being something of a people's copper. Hre is an inteligent and hard working guy. Most chief constables are only ever seen in public in their braided finery ...not this guy ...he's out in his stab proof vest working the streets! He is also not afraid of upsetting the suits ...he talks the truth about drugs and gets attacked for it but he still persists.
    Ah yes, I remember that furore he provoked when he went on Radio 4 a few months back and called for all drugs to be legalised. I think the Daily Mail called him "the most stupid copper in Britain" the next day. (though less known is the fact he was referred to as "the worst copper in Britain" by the same paper a few years earlier) I'm not entirely sure whether his solution for this problem is the right one, but that's for another thread.
    And he had him self tazered! Every other Cheif constable in the land would have barked an order 'Find me a man i can shoot' ...but not this guy ...'FIND SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO SHOOT THE BOSS'!
    I wonder how many volunteers they had for that one?
    If your mother daughter or whatever go stabbed and murdered outside somewhere with a CCTV i'm sure you'd see the usefulness. Mass paranoia of a big brother nation is deluding people and taking meaning away to the true purpose.
    Bollocks. As our resident Blunkett Bobby admitted earlier, CCTV cameras are next to useless on their own in the fight against crime.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm undecided.
    Me too.
    Two dead ends and you still gotta choose.
  • Options
    Mr Roll, never ever watch 'Enemy of the State'

especially stoned :no:
  • Options
    Really, really, really never watch The Conversation...
  • Options
    i'm just amazed at how paranoid some of you are. The government and the police aren't watching you people!
  • Options
    i'm just amazed at how paranoid some of you are. The government and the police aren't watching you people!
    Yeah, but you would say that, wouldn't you?