Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cleaning vegi's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you properly clean vegetabls? I'm trying to add a salad to my lunches at work, but with the ecoli and what not with everything its healthier to eat a twinkie :p I buy fresh, not frozen or canned... so whats the proper way to wash these kinds of vegis? I usually just give them a quick rinse under some cold water, but that doesn't clean hands so who knows ;)

Comments

• Options
    I never wash veggies! :crazyeyes Just give em a quick rinse and wipe with some kitchen towel
  • Options
    I saw this thread on the New Posts secton and immediately read 'cleaning vagi's'

:yuck: :yuck:
  • Options
    You cant 'wash' them at all, just rinse them thoroughly and you'll be fine. People fuss way too much about possible bugs.
  • Options
    Rinse them and you'll be fine. If you're using vegetables like carrots then peel them and that will get rid of the outer bugs, but you really shouldn't worry so much about a few bugs.
  • Options
    Like what, what's so bad on the veg?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Lets just say the warehouse isn't the most hygienic of places and neither are most of the staff as rules are not followed at all in regards to washing hands, etc. JUST SCRUB THOSE VEGGIES!!!!!!!!!
    Was it full of Poles?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I don't wash them in the hope that I can contract food poisoning and then shit and puke 3 stone in weight away
    Not funny.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I'd do more than rinse, I'd scrub scrub scrub. I worked in Morrisons veggie factory place one summer years back and ewwwwww, lots of bad shit goes on in there :yuck: I had a fear of carrots, onions and potatoes for quite a long time...

Yeah, a friend used to pick strawberries for punnets for shops and they were never washed before packing and some of his co-workers were rather unhygenic.

Give them a wash. To be safe.