Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Texas and the GOP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Texas 22 nd Congressional District is conducting its Primary Elections in the March 2008. The district is dominated by Houston's heavily Republican western and southern suburbs, stretching from Sugar Land and Missouri City in the west and traveling eastward to portions of Pearland and Pasadena, all the way to the NASA Johnson Space Center, Clear Lake City, and Ellington Field. There are many known names standing for the election. This includes former Sugar Land mayor Dean Hrbacek, former Pasadena mayor John Manlove, former John Cornyn Chief of Staff Pete Olson, Family District Judge Jim Squier, State Representative Bob Talton, and NASA contractor Ryan Rowley.

The constituency has a heavy republican population. In fact, 52 percent of poll respondents identified themselves as Republicans. The district is said to have played a major role in voting George W. Bush over John Kerry by a 2 to 1 (66%-33%) margin, more than any other district that fell to the Democrats in 2006. The district has a Cook Partisan Voting Index of 15 in favor of the Republicans. The Republican Party, also known as GOP or the Grand Old Party, supports a conservative platform with further foundations in economic liberalism and social conservatism. The Republican Party includes fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, and libertarians. The party generally supports lower taxes and limited government in most economic areas allowing for more economic freedom.

Lower taxes and economic privatization is crucial for the development of any district. This is exactly what is deserved by the residents of Texas 22
nd Congressional District of the House of Representatives. Since the republican ideologies match the need of the commons there, the party held office in the district for nearly 20 years. But in the recent elections, the seat was given to a Democrat as the Republican leader refused to contest the election, in reaction to corruption charges made on him.

This year, however, it remains to be seen which party wins the constituency. The incumbent Nick Lampson is going for a re-election. The democrat is expected to face a tough competition from the republican leaders of the state.

Comments

• Options
    Your point being?
  • Options
    Spam, I think.
  • Options
    I thought that too.

Wasted...
  • Options
    no no, you are supposed to say "my thoughts exactly"

:p
  • Options
    I'm supposed to do many things, but where's the fun in that? ;)
  • Options
    You could always try "I agree"?
  • Options
    God no. That hardly prompts a debate now, does it?

Although I do agree that the Texas 22nd is holding it's Primary...
  • Options
    fail-24.jpg
  • Options
    My life is enriched by knowing there is a small part of America known as Sugerland. :hyper:
  • Options
    Even if it is spelt incorrectly. Still , from a country which spells words like humor and color what do you expect?
  • Options
    Even if it is spelt incorrectly. Still , from a country which spells words like humor and color what do you expect?

Actually my bad on the spelling.

I am impressed by this bloke though... 'former Pasadena mayor John Manlove'
  • Options
    Could you vote for someone named "Manlove" - and do you think that anyone over there gets the connotations?
  • Options
    Could you vote for someone named "Manlove" - and do you think that anyone over there gets the connotations?

I would vote for him and wear my 'Honk if you want Manlove' t-shirt with pride. :heart:
  • Options
    ahem

2313161498_7d9e1bfbea_o.jpg
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    I would vote for him and wear my 'Honk if you want Manlove' t-shirt with pride. :heart:
    Beats the T-shirts that David Davis and his team wore when he was trying to get elected as Tory leader...