Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Improving your local community

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
We went to the Making an Impact conference and took our camera along to ask students what they would do to improve their community...

How would you improve your local community?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I already do :D (except I'm being paid for it at the moment)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well living in Bridgend to say the community "needs to be improved" doesn't quite cover the scope of the recent high-profile problems here but I should probably reserve comment on that.

The area isn't inspiring, but it's not a sinkhole either. Most of the things I would suggest are similar to other parts of the UK:

- More facilities/sports/after school activities for 13-25 year olds.
    - Higher quality architecture and design, parts of the area are a 60's concrete disaster and are positively encouraging anti-social behaviour.
    - Regulated public transport, buses more than trains with a simpler method of payment (i.e Oyster Card)
    - More landscaped open space.
    - I'd like to see the local college offer more franchised degrees/HND's etc. from the University of Wales.
    - Attract more high-quality R&D and service companies to the area to retain the high numbers of graduates Bridgend and Wales produce but this is easier said than done.
    - Improved advice, funding for start-up businesses for youngsters, perhaps with mentoring from prominent local business leaders.
    - More apprenticeship opportunities.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I already have. I had to do 180hrs Community Service. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think people can improve their community in many ways some may actively take part in the community debates or discussions which go on whereas i think that volunteering is possibly the best way to get involved in imporving the local community as u are able to choose a variety and many activities you can do such as volunteering to help the elderly, plant trees around, clear the streets of rubbish etc.