Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Defrag

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why doesn't it do it in one go?
Why when i press it a second and even third time ...it moves files etc?

Comments

• Options
    cos defrag is crap :p

lol, i don't know, i rarely use defrag
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You should defrag refularly. My PC will take aobut 1 week to defrag I bet cos I aint done it in ages. Look for some third party defrag software (REPUTABLE! NOT SPYWARE K! CHECK!!!!) as it is often better. Mine manages 2% is like 12 hours so I gave up. Need to reinstalllll now.

CBA till windudes dies mind. Then I shall do it xD

ALSO: Get Ccleaner, its ace. Clears loadsa shit off your HDD you don't need.

If defrag doesn't work, your HDD is probably well and truely effed filesystem wise. Probably like, 50% corrupt or someshit.
  • Options
    i haven't physically run it for quite a while but when i do have a gander it finishes in about 10 mins saying everything hunky dorey so dunno
  • Options
    I do mine every week and it's fine, takes about 10 minutes. I think i recall there being an unresolved problem with the windows defrag and Windows 98.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I do mine every week and it's fine, takes about 10 minutes. I think i recall there being an unresolved problem with the windows defrag and Windows 98.
    Hello Rubber how ya doing?
    I left here just as you were being resurected from the dead ...hope Kermit didn't give you to bad a time ...where was i ...
    the before and after window shows what frag situation is.
    When it says it's finished it never is and you can see it.
    So ...i press the defrag button again ...and sure enough it starts compacting and moving files ...i was just wondering why it didn't move those files the first time ...XP Pro.
  • Options
    Hello Rubber how ya doing?

OK, still toddling along in me own weird little world.

People on here are the least of my problems, it's the snipers i'm having a problem with :)
  • Options
    Defrag - another example of a cool word, but a boring thing.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Important though. Unless you don't mind your hard drive dying sooner.
  • Options
    My brother used to do it on this PC but he has got a laptop now so i havent a clue haw to Defrag the computer :confused:
  • Options
    Click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter then click Defragment