Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

asus linux laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have found this laptop on play.com.... http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/5100674/Asus-Eee-PC-700-2G-Celeron-Mobile-900MHz-512MB-2GB-7-Linux-Laptop-Notebook-White/Product.html?searchtype=genre

the first thing that attracted me to it is the price. Im no techie and know nothing about linux, so is this actually any good? I'd love to get a good laptop for £200. How does linux differ from windows?

Would i be better off getting something like this? http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/654/861/-/3595260/Acer-Aspire-5315-Celeron-M-540-1-83GHz-1GB-80GB-15-4-DVD-SM-Vista-Home-Basic-Laptop-Notebook/Product.html?searchtype=genre

If anyone could give me a rundown on this it'd be greatly appreciated :)

All i need from a laptop is basic office use, occasional dvd watching, downloading of music, net browsing. I'd like something that'll work quickly and not lag when a few things are running at once.

Comments

• Options
    the triple e pc has been out for a while, its marketed as a UMPC rather than a laptop. It doesn't have a DVD player, only 4gb hard disk I think. It's great if you want to have something basic to do very basic things. Not really adept at running multiple programs or ought - it's very basic. And web browsing may be difficult, with 800 x 480 screen resolution or something.

It is very very tiny, not typical laptop sized. The screen is 7" corner to corner.

For a basic laptop get the aspire :) you'll thank yourself later. Or even get a dell if they've got any good deals on, they're normally pretty good on price.
  • Options
    What my instincts told me then, far too cheap to be fab.

The acer was just an example of a cheap laptop, does that look like a good one for my needs?

I think the main thing im worried about is breakage. If anything goes wrong i want a good warranty with good customer service and care. The laptop im using now has lasted me a long time and is still fine, but i had a lot of problems with the screen and it had to be sent for fixing 3 times

Im under the impression that dell are quite good in this respect?