Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ipod copying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, has anyone here got any experience of copying all content from one ipod to another? Preferably directly, is there a cable or something that makes this possible?

I've searched the net but have found ways that would take weeks with the amount of data on the ipod in question, i need a quick an reliable way that someone has actually tried and it works

Comments

• Options
    No way to directly copy. After all, such a task would require an external program as one isn't included in the iPod software.

Using Winamp is the best way to do it really. Plug the iPod with the data you want copied into the PC, use Winamp to transfer, plug second iPod in and transfer from harddrive to that.

I'm assuming 'weeks' is an exggeration. The only way it would take that long is if you had a 500tb iPod.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    No way to directly copy. After all, such a task would require an external program as one isn't included in the iPod software.

Using Winamp is the best way to do it really. Plug the iPod with the data you want copied into the PC, use Winamp to transfer, plug second iPod in and transfer from harddrive to that.

I'm assuming 'weeks' is an exggeration. The only way it would take that long is if you had a 500tb iPod.

I read about some way that transferred it in real time, so the time to transfer 1 song would take the duration of the song! There's about 30gigs worth of music on the ipod.

Are you confident the winamp way would work then? I always thought ipods only interacted with apple software.

What about if i plugged in the ipod as an external hard drive, backed up everything (with itunes not installed). If i then installed itunes would i then be able to use the music in itunes and transfer it all to the new ipod?
  • Options
    I haven't tried this with my iPod myself, but somebody told that if you kill the iTunes software, Windows Explorer detects the iPod as just a 'mass storage' device.

If you then use Explorer 'Tools' to unhide system files etc, you can see a hidden directory on the iPod and in that, you will find the music that is stored on it, and you can copy the music to your hard drive.

A load of bullshit? I'm sure someone here will tell me so ... :)
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    I read about some way that transferred it in real time, so the time to transfer 1 song would take the duration of the song! There's about 30gigs worth of music on the ipod.

Never heard about anything that transfers it in real time. Seems odd, though.
    Are you confident the winamp way would work then? I always thought ipods only interacted with apple software.

I know it works, it's what I do :razz: I hate iTunes with a firey passion and refuse to use it, so I opt for Winamp instead. Handy when you go to a friends house with your iPod and can transfer your music to their computer for use later. It usually transfers 8gb in around, 5 - 10 minutes? Not long at all.
    What about if i plugged in the ipod as an external hard drive, backed up everything (with itunes not installed). If i then installed itunes would i then be able to use the music in itunes and transfer it all to the new ipod?
    Teagan wrote: »
    I haven't tried this with my iPod myself, but somebody told that if you kill the iTunes software, Windows Explorer detects the iPod as just a 'mass storage' device.

If you then use Explorer 'Tools' to unhide system files etc, you can see a hidden directory on the iPod and in that, you will find the music that is stored on it, and you can copy the music to your hard drive.

A load of bullshit? I'm sure someone here will tell me so ... :)

Doesn't work. When you try it this way, the songs are stored in a whole load of weirdly named folders (GFU2811NMX etc.) and the songs are the same. Half of the ID3 tags are totally fucked up too and you don't know what the song is until you hear it.
  • Options
    Cool, so i can download winamp for free? And it'll definatly work, with no risk of wiping the existing ipod, or anything horrendous like that?
  • Options
    Yeah, from www.winamp.com - Without a doubt the best audio player out there.

And no, no risk of that. EDIT: Unlike iTunes, which has wiped countless people I know's iPod's.
  • Options
    Yeah, from www.winamp.com - Without a doubt the best audio player out there.

And no, no risk of that. EDIT: Unlike iTunes, which has wiped countless people I know's iPod's.

I also hate itunes, so im glad there's an alternative

Ta very much for your help!
  • Options
    Itunes is not all bad you know. :p

I find it slow at starting up and what not. :)

If I get this right, you want to transfur all your music off the Ipod onto another computer - I'm 110% sure theres a program that allows you to access your Ipod to extract the songs, not sure of the name your have to google something.
  • Options
    Doesn't work. When you try it this way, the songs are stored in a whole load of weirdly named folders (GFU2811NMX etc.) and the songs are the same. Half of the ID3 tags are totally fucked up too and you don't know what the song is until you hear it.

Damn! But thanks for trying :thumb:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Damn! But thanks for trying :thumb:

Already tried it a looong time ago before the iPod plugin for Winamp became available :razz:
  • Options
    iRecorder
  • Options
    I have only ever gotten the songs that were loaded on to someone else's computer.