Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you send your gran a mothers day card?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum sent them from me when I was little, but I dont now, my grandma asked me last year "weres my mothers day card" I said you aint my mum!:confused:

My mum said "I'll be getting a card from Ruby this year" I said no, and she was like yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

I dont see the point:chin: Why do people send them to their grandmas? and do people send grandads fathers day cards?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    no i didnt used to - well sometimes i did, and i must admit she often hinted to me that lots of her OTHER grandchildren did but i didnt listen much lol.

Theyve made up a grandparents day now anyway so you could send her a specific card for that if you wanted
  • Options
    Well, no. She isn't my mother, after all. I do make an effort to visit her pretty regularly - I think she appreciates the company. Wonderful woman, but so liberal, she makes most of the P&D regulars look like Norman Tebbit. :p
  • Options
    No, I don't and I find the idea of it pretty bizarre. I'll send one to my mam but I wouldn't send her one from her granddaughters... doesn't quite fit the "mother's day" brief!
  • Options
    Yeah, but I never really understand why exactly, it's just something that we've always done!!
  • Options
    i send one to my auntie!

and i'd send one to my nan too if she were still ere
  • Options
    I would if my nannas was were still alive.

Why shouldnt you?

The cost of card is what a pound? You can't even spend a pound to make your nanna smile?
  • Options
    I send one to my Gran every year
  • Options
    My Mum gets one from her grankids every year, I didn't do it when my Nana was alive, but each to their own innit.
  • Options
    Well since my Granny died if I've been home for Mother's Day then we'll go and lay flowers by her grave, might sound werid but I know my Mam still thinks about her a lot so it's nice.
  • Options
    No, never have done. She and my mum both thought it was a bit weird. My mum sends one to my Grandma from herself, but that's normal because she is her mother!
  • Options
    I gotta say I agree, my mum send one to her mum, and I send one to mine :) everyone is happy. Though in a way it's a nice idea, and I will consider making this year a first. I've never known any of my family/friends to send one to their nan though!
  • Options
    Well it's not really cost-related, no one is thinking "AHA, I know, I'll save £1.38 by NOT sending granny a card on March 2nd". It's just that by definition it's a day for celebrating your mother... so if anyone should be celebrating your granny it's her son or daughter.

It's a nice thought if it makes you happy, and of course it's nice to make grandma smile. But personally speaking my grandmothers wouldn't have appreciated it particularly. They'd probably have preferred a bunch of flowers on March 11th "just because" :)

As for me sending my mother a card from my daughters... she'd think I was barking. She's sceptical enough about Hallmark holidays as it is.
  • Options
    No, I send my mother one because it's mother's day.

Although I work in the card industry, and apparently people buy mother's day cards for the most ridiculous of relatives.
  • Options
    Though for the 2nd year running, Hallmark are donating a percentage of their sales on mothers day cards to cancer research, and fighting breast cancer. Does this make anyone more likely to buy one of their cards than another brand? Hmm.
  • Options
    It's never even crossed my mind to send my Nanna or Grandma a mothers day card... I mean, they're not my mum so what would be the point?
  • Options
    I never did even when she was alive.
  • Options
    No, because she's not my mum.
  • Options
    i don't even send one to my mum.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    No, because she's not my mum.

:yes: And if you start doing that, where will the madness end? Will I have to sign the card from my boyfriend to his mom? Will I have to send cards to my friends that are mothers? The lady down the street with a kid? Will men soon be recieving cards on this day for mothers?
  • Options
    Yes - dunny why particually though. I think my nan also used to get mothers day cards from her neice's as she looked after them after their mother died when they were teenagers.

However my nan died in October - soooo this year my sister and i are doing lunch for my mum and my aunt - i'm sad.
  • Options
    My Gran and Grandma have both passed away :( so no. I wouldn't have done anyway, as Mist said because she isn't my Mum. I'll send my Mum one, but she knows I appreciate her all year round with or without a card so it wouldn't matter if I didn't. I just like to send people cards every now and then :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I do, dad used to send them for me, but as I have got older I have carried it on.

I like her to know how special she is, as I dont often tell her to her face as she can get a tad confused - bless her cottons!
  • Options
    I do but thats coz my nan is more like a mum to me than my mum
  • Options
    I always thought mothers day wasnt just about your mum, but a celebration of mums and motherhood all over.

But I've barely sent my mum a mothers day card let alone my grandmother.
  • Options
    I do. Got both my Nan (paternal) and Grandma (maternal) a card and a small planted basket thingy and will pop round to see them tomorrow afternoon.

I suppose we (me and sis) always have, just because my mum always bought them 'nan' and 'grandma' cards from us when we were little.

Grandma was a big part of our childhood, spent nearly every weekend there, and now I've moved out both Grandma and Grandad have been helping me - with advice and their B&Q discount card! ;) My Nan moved into our village when I was 16 from down south and has become a bigger part of my life. I miss them all now I've moved out and I don't see them very often.
  • Options
    It's a nice thought but no I don't send my Gran a card.
  • Options
    Nope I dont but my gran on my dad's side ALWAYS buys my mam a card and a present. :heart:
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    tescos had a card saying "to my wife on mother's day" which I found a rather disturbing money making process if nothing else

My dad buys my mum one like that.. usually writes something like "thankyou for my two wonderful daughters".

Odd, maybe, but I find that rather complimentary as I don't think Dad is a particular fan of mine (favours my sis) so I take it as a good sign that he might actually like me!

Plus these days Dad finally accepts that Mum practically brought us up without emotional input from Dad - he worked long hours and provided for a very good standard of living, but wasn't actually a huggy, playing kinda Dad to us, and we've turned out alright so its that he's thankful to Mum for that.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    xsazx wrote: »
    tescos had a card saying "to my wife on mother's day" which I found a rather disturbing money making process if nothing else

Think that's more appropriate than sending your gran one though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's about giving thanks for 'mothers'... that includes you being thankful for your mother, you being thankful for your grandmother and about fathers being thankful to the mother of their children for their children.

That's how I've always made sense of it - 'it' being both Mothers Day and the variety of cards available!