Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dont ya just hate it when you have an idea someone else already has

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, walking back from dinner today I thought up a low power GPS bracelet that could be marketed towards parents for their children, with as low price as possible. Then parents could use a java applet on their phone to track them, or go to the website and enter the unique number and passcode. This would give peace of mind from abducters and the like.

Did a google and the first thing that came up:

http://gps.electronic.com.tw/personal-security-system/PT-200.htm

:grump:

Still, I don't see any patents for it. Maybe I could just run with my own take on it...

Or what about an ultra cheap RFID transmitter that could be built into a rubber band? *googles*

http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/protectingid/0,3800002220,39121670,00.htm

:mad:

Comments

• Options
    I think you have too much time on your hands. Maybe.
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »
    I think you have too much time on your hands. Maybe.

Lol why?? It's a sunday afternoon and I had an idea walking back from lunch :p. But whenever I come up with what I think is an amazing idea, it turns out someone else has already done it.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But whenever I come up with what I think is an amazing idea, it turns out someone else has already done it.

I know what you mean, I had an idea the other night and before I could carry it out, it turned out someone else had exactly the same plan as I did, :no:.
  • Options
    i know your disapointment ...i recently invented the wheel. It would have been huge if only ...
  • Options
    Nice to see the many thousands of pounds you're spending on your university education aren't being completely wasted, ShyBoy. :p
  • Options
    I know how you feel, I had to give my baby medicine and she kept spitting it out, she swallowed it when i gave her a dummy, so I was talking to my fella saying a dummy that you put medicine in would be good, he was like ohhhh we'll make millions if its not already made..... looked on mothercare and there it was!! It was rubbish anyway:grump:
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I know how you feel, I had to give my baby medicine and she kept spitting it out, she swallowed it when i gave her a dummy, so I was talking to my fella saying a dummy that you put medicine in would be good, he was like ohhhh we'll make millions if its not already made..... looked on mothercare and there it was!! It was rubbish anyway:grump:
    syringe is much simpler.
  • Options
    Iwas going to invent the internet but didn't think it would catch on.
  • Options
    I had the idea of windshield wipers that go off by themselves depending on how much rain there is. :mad: I could be rich.
  • Options
    Did any of the people that had these ideas get past the "what if" stage? Because anyone can make something up. I've invented a toilet that wipes your arse for you in that case.

Incidentally, I find the idea of tagging children rather odd. No doubt marketed using fear Shyboy. You really should think about these ethical issues Shyboy. Plus Nokia will just put in into a phone and bankrupt you anyway.
  • Options
    I had the idea of windshield wipers that go off by themselves depending on how much rain there is. :mad: I could be rich.
    In the seventies some cars had wipers that went slower the faster you drove in wet weather ...supposed to be a safety measure but turned out to be seriously dangerous.
    Mine were on a ford corsair.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I find the idea of tagging children rather odd. No doubt marketed using fear Shyboy. You really should think about these ethical issues Shyboy. Plus Nokia will just put in into a phone and bankrupt you anyway.
    Bollocks to ethics, there's money to be made! :p And if it isn't ShyBoy who does it, someone else will.
  • Options
    . No doubt marketed using fear Shyboy. You really should think about these ethical issues Shyboy. Plus Nokia will just put in into a phone and bankrupt you anyway.
    What ethical issues would they be seein g as lectronic tagging for kids is already huge. And ...your phone already tracks you just like a criminal tag.
    Most villains know this and will send someone off in the opposite direction than they themselves are actualy going in ...with the phone that the crook suspects the police have the number of.
  • Options
    What ethical issues would they be

The ethical issues are marketing something based on fear of something that doesn't exist. Oh well, if you're stupid enough to fall for it.....
  • Options
    The ethical issues are marketing something based on fear of something that doesn't exist. Oh well, if you're stupid enough to fall for it.....
    But it's already huge ...even implants under the kids skin ...just like wot my dogs got in her neck.
  • Options
    I keep thinking folding hair straighteners that work off a battery would be great. Lost track of the number of times that half way through a night out I'd love to be able to restraighten my hair!

Really have to start thinking of some IT ideas to patent though...if I don't start getting some to my name it's gonna take ages for me to get the career progression I want at work.
  • Options
    What ethical issues would they be seein g as lectronic tagging for kids is already huge. And ...your phone already tracks you just like a criminal tag.
    Most villains know this and will send someone off in the opposite direction than they themselves are actualy going in ...with the phone that the crook suspects the police have the number of.

One of the mental hospitals I was in last year a girl escaped and the police tracked her phone and bought her back :yes:
  • Options

Losing kids in supermarkets etc.?

The risk is there, even if it is small, and some parents would be prepared to pay for some peace of mind that if their kid goes missing / wandering they'd know where they are. I mean, you can get the same thing for pet collars too. I know losing your kids is one of the greatest fears parents have, if they have some insurance that they won't then it's worth the money, no? Even if it is fairly unlikely.

Anyway, I'm not going to do it, it was just an idea that I had in 5 minutes. You could come up with ethical issues for loads of things that have got past that initial 5 minute stage. I just think I'm quite lucky to be able to get new ideas these days :p even if they're not new.
  • Options
    You know loaves of bread right... wouldn't it be great if you could buy it pre-sliced to save you the hassle...?
  • Options
    I have a deadsure business idea, but no way am I sharing it here, or I'll be in the same situation like you, that someone goes through with my idea and gets rich!!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had a practical idea for laptop designing some time ago, but apparently it wouldn't be possible unless they made them much bigger. But I'm still not saying here what it was :p
  • Options
    I invented the carbon neutral flying car but then I sold the designs to the petrochemical industry and it disappeared forever. Lol.
  • Options
    I'm going to move to China and invent the knife and fork ...it's long overdue.
  • Options
    I'm going to move to China and invent the knife and fork ...it's long overdue.

:eek: I had that idea also. But it was a spork with a knife. The universal utinsel. Lets go into business together.
  • Options
    In the seventies some cars had wipers that went slower the faster you drove in wet weather ...supposed to be a safety measure but turned out to be seriously dangerous.
    Mine were on a ford corsair.

Wow, whoever came up with that idea didn't really think it through did they.
  • Options
    Psh, I knew the world was round even when I was floating about my Mum's fallopian choob.
  • Options
    Also I didn't mean for teenagers, but for toddlers who love nothing more than to go for a wander. We already use those walky talkys to listen to babies - surely there's an ethical issue that it's spying on the baby's privacy? Lol.
  • Options
    most don't, so we end up with criminals who get away with everything, security measures not being imposed in case it offends someone or plainly because someone doesn't like the idea.

It's a load of bollocks, all of it. Priorities are misplaced in the name of ethics and we lose the ball completely.

What does ethics have to do with windshield wipers :p