Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

anti-histamine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm eczemic, and at the moment my skin is flaring up. I've been taking a lot of anti-histamine for the last couple of weeks, and I'm worried that I might build up a resistance or become addicted or something. Are either of these things possible?

Comments

• Options
    I know at least two people who take Piriton often and sometimes virtually as often as they can (following the recommendations). They've been doing it for years and they've had no side effects or problems.
  • Options
    I take anti histamines everyday because I suffer from a skin allergy and if I don't take them my skin flares up all the time. I take double the recommended dose actually which is probably not good but I haven't suffered from any side effects so far. My doctor knows I am on them long term and hasn't mentioned any last side effects or whatnot. Think basically the only side effects are drowsiness
  • Options
    I'm eczemic, and at the moment my skin is flaring up. I've been taking a lot of anti-histamine for the last couple of weeks, and I'm worried that I might build up a resistance or become addicted or something. Are either of these things possible?

Moderation is the key to everything. It is possible that you may build up a tolerance to the anti-histamine. Why are you taking so much of it? Just follow the instructions on the bottle for proper use. Is it because the product that you are using is becoming less effective as time goes by? I don't prescribe to the regular OTC medication to treat my allergies. I have relied on natural products that I obtained from the following site:

http://www.herbalintel.com/allergyrelief.php

The great thing about natural products for allergies is that there are no side effects experienced. I hope that helps you. :yippe:
  • Options
    Well, I'm allergic to dust and a lot of other stuff... and right now it's the dusty, dry season where I live... so I'm popping anti-histamine like crazy. I think it's partially psychological as well... I'm under the impression that if I don't take a LOT of anti-histamine, my skin goes crazy. Most of it is probably in my head... I will look into the natural stuff, try and find something that's available here. Sounds like it is indeed a better option.