Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is dying your own hair really that hard?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You hear so many horror stories about people dying their own hair, especially things I read on here and advice people are given.

I have had highlights in my hair for about 6 years, with lowlights put in aswell. Last time I went to the hairdressers (almost 3 months ago) I just had a brown with some warm tones put in my hair as lowlights and NO blonde. So the next time I go back I was going to have it completely dyed the same colour to completely get rid of the blonde. But out of principle if I can buy this dye and do it myself I want to try because I would save so much money! And I think once I get it dyed at the hairdressers I'd always have to get it done there so that the colour matched up.

What dya think? Is it difficult to maintain equal tones and colours each time you dye the hair? The blonde I had coloured last time took the dye well and has actually kept it quite well (because I use special products maybe).

Shall I do it myself or what?? :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    Dying over highlights is really, really hard to do.

I know that I can't compare to my red hair colour to your brown you're going to, but it will show up a different tone in comparison. It did when I had blonde highlights when I first dyed it red which is why I had to chop about 4 inches off as they'd grown out kinda thing.

Anyways, I always dye my hair with Herbal Essences and would not recommend ANY other brand. It always leaves my hair all silky and smoooooooth and smells exactly like the shampoo! Not the brash dye pong you get from others.

But if you think about doing it, then I'd say bite the bullet. You're only dying it the colour you want, it's not a drastic change. If it works, it works. If not, your highlights will be a darker shade of brown and it's a lesson learnt, innit.
  • Options
    It's not difficult if you are just doing it all one colour, especially if it's a similar colour to what you currently have. I'd choose a slightly lighter colour than the one you want though, cause browns always seem to come out much darker on my hair than they look on the packet. And buy two packs if you have fairly long hair (anything past your shoulders) or if it's thick, cause uneven dye spreading makes the colour streaky.

I've always dyed my own hair, and the only time it's ever cocked up is when I've been trying to do something daft, like bleach it or cover up bright pink.

There is always the chance of it going wrong, which is something you have to keep in mind, but IMO it's worth it.
  • Options
    I put big pink streaks into mine every so often myself, and then lighten the roots in the winter. Am natural blondethat gets lighter in the sun, thus get quite dark roots in the winter so tend to even it out around this time of year.

I'd say go for it.
  • Options
    I find it really hard to get the dye right round the back...couldn you not get a mate to help yiz?
  • Options
    Its not difficult i've always done my own hair, even highlights.

Its worth considering though, that your hair isn't a blank canvas as you've got a mix of hair that's been highlighted in the past, lowlighted, and putting one continous dye over the lot will probably react differently to hair thats undergone different thing, and may not turn out to be one block of colour.
  • Options
    I dye my own hair, but it's much easier as it's all one colour. It was frightening the first time I did it myself, as I was going from mid brown to almost black. These days I don't even think about it, I just do it.

I'd never attempt it if I had bleached bits, or different shades....
  • Options
    Well I went to the hairdressers in the end because it badly needed a cut too. We agreed on a colour and it is so TOTALLY NOT THAT COLOUR!
    It's way too dark, although it is nice.. just not what i asked for!! I told the hairdresser that and she said that if I think it's too dark in a week (after its faded a bit) to go back. pft:p
  • Options
    Got a pic?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Well I went to the hairdressers in the end because it badly needed a cut too. We agreed on a colour and it is so TOTALLY NOT THAT COLOUR!
    It's way too dark, although it is nice.. just not what i asked for!! I told the hairdresser that and she said that if I think it's too dark in a week (after its faded a bit) to go back. pft:p
    My sister had her hair done brown at the hairdresser after she'd had bleached blonde hair and it's now faded and (don't panic) gone a bit green...

It did fade pretty quickly though.
  • Options
    The one time i tried to save money, and dyed it myself, it went sooo so wrong. It had to pay more to get it corrected than if i'd just gone to the hairdressers in the first place! At least if they get it wrong, they should sort it out... hopefully!
  • Options
    From light blonde I went to a mid brown before I decided to go dark.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

I hate when they do that!

It should fade pretty quickly with a blonde base, though. If you want to speed it up, Head & Shoulders strips out colour like it's going out of fashion :)