Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Brits - Second highest emigrant rates in OECD

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The UK has 3.2 million citizens who live abroad, slightly more than Germany, which has a substantially greater population, and substantially more than the US, with five times the population.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7254743.stm

Why do you think we have a higher tendency to migrate? Its certainly not a recent phenomena despite the headlines. Also not usually noticed, is the amount of British expats whose parents were immigrants to Britain, (for example in my year at school four out of the six Black or mixed race kids eventually emigrated)

Grass is greener springs to mind, what say you?

Comments

• Options
    The weather?

Also a highly skilled population, who can speak English (the world's language) and a tradition of going overseas to work and live
  • Options
    It's probably because it's so expensive, and politically rapidly becoming a clone of a cold war eastern block country.
  • Options
    The weather?

Also a highly skilled population, who can speak English (the world's language) and a tradition of going overseas to work and live

Not sure about the tradition but those factors also apply for the Canadians/Yanks surely but yet they have three times less people abroad than we do. I don't think the weather factor affected my school friends as two went to NY, one to Canada and the other to Sweden.
  • Options
    I think comparing our figures with that of the US is a fairly silly comparison. If in the US you want a total change in your environment you dont actually have to leave the country, just move states.

I'd say it was because of a historical thing, we've emigrated ourselves into most countries in the world, therefore we have links there and people move there. Then people have family there and so on...
  • Options
    Cos the weather is shit in the UK.

Its also quite expensive living here.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Not sure about the tradition but those factors also apply for the Canadians/Yanks surely but yet they have three times less people abroad than we do. I don't think the weather factor affected my school friends as two went to NY, one to Canada and the other to Sweden.

Weather is slightly tongue in cheek (my Uncle went to Canada and it's bloody cold there).

But tradition I'd stick to. You use canucks and spams as an example of why it doesn't apply, but both Canada and the US are a direct result of UK emmigration. A lot of people move abroad because they know of family and friends who've done the same
  • Options
    Weather is slightly tongue in cheek (my Uncle went to Canada and it's bloody cold there).

But tradition I'd stick to. You use canucks and spams as an example of why it doesn't apply, but both Canada and the US are a direct result of UK emmigration. A lot of people move abroad because they know of family and friends who've done the same

Flash/budda, I wonder how big a factor family links are, probably not mentioned loudly but I'm sure a hell lot of people emigrate to get away from family :lol: But when you look at emigration to Spain, France etc that can't be that strong a factor as people would not have had those links until very recently as it a relatively new thing compared to Oz and NZ or even Canada.

Ireland has a just a strong if not stronger tradition than us of emigration, is expensive and cold ;) but doesn't even show on the chart printed.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Flash/budda, I wonder how big a factor family links are, probably not mentioned loudly but I'm sure a hell lot of people emigrate to get away from family :lol: But when you look at emigration to Spain, France etc that can't be that strong a factor as people would not have had those links until very recently as it a relatively new thing compared to Oz and NZ or even Canada.

But there is a tradition of going abroad - teh countries people go to may differ, but the British are not by tradition stay at home types.
    Ireland has a just a strong if not stronger tradition than us of emigration, is expensive and cold ;) but doesn't even show on the chart printed.

But the chart is not a % of people, but total in millions. there are about 4.5m people in the Irish Republic (Northern Ireland would be part of the UK). For them to be on the chart (even as low as the US) they'd have to have about a quarter of their population abroad

I'm also not sure whether it counts Irish Republic immigration into the UK, as for historical reasons Southern Irish nationals are often treated as UK citizens (they have the same full rights as UK subjects do - more than any other EU Country)
  • Options
    Imagine the outrage if British emigrants were to be treated the same way we are thinking of treating immigrants here... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Imagine the outrage if British emigrants were to be treated the same way we are thinking of treating immigrants here... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't complain - its up to each country to handle its own immigration policy (and I certainly wouldn't complain if the US or Australia put those Brits there illegally on a plane and sent them back)
  • Options
    I wouldn't complain - its up to each country to handle its own immigration policy (and I certainly wouldn't complain if the US or Australia put those Brits there illegally on a plane and sent them back)
    Would you also be happy if they started talking of compulsory tests, guilt-tripping you about the terrible strain you put on their public services (which is bollocks anyway) and started to charge you taxes and charges simply for being an immigrant?
  • Options
    Would you also be happy if they started talking of compulsory tests, guilt-tripping you about the terrible strain you put on their public services (which is bollocks anyway) and started to charge you taxes and charges simply for being an immigrant?

Why not? It's up to that country
  • Options
    If people can go abroad somewhere where there is an equal or higher standard of living yet lower cost of living they will... which is what explains the increase in people going abroad in the past few years.

If you've got the right skills there's equally good opportunities overseas. You can go far with an English accent in the States I hear :p

If I could get my German good enough I'd def consider going there after uni.
  • Options
    Why not? It's up to that country
    That doesn't make it right though...
  • Options
    If you've got the right skills there's equally good opportunities overseas. You can go far with an English accent in the States I hear :p

Shame it doesn't work the other way round - only a couple of weeks ago my wife was verbally abused yet again
  • Options
    That doesn't make it right though...

Doesn't make it wrong either.
  • Options

Hmmmm .. you almost sound like an immigrant yourself. ;)
  • Options
    Shame it doesn't work the other way round - only a couple of weeks ago my wife was verbally abused yet again

The disgusting anti-Americanism of many British people is embarrassing, I feel ashamed to be British... Especially given how hospitable and welcoming Americans are to British people.
  • Options
    The disgusting anti-Americanism of many British people is embarrassing, I feel ashamed to be British... Especially given how hospitable and welcoming Americans are to British people.

I think it's more the British people being angry at American politics and venting their anger out on American people than anything else. My relatives are American, sound people. Still doesn't stop me criticising the regime it's currently under. Then again, if I come across a Southern hick then I probably will give them shit...only slagging.
  • Options
    What for being American? Christ, some people are twats...
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I think it's more the British people being angry at American politics and venting their anger out on American people than anything else. My relatives are American, sound people. Still doesn't stop me criticising the regime it's currently under. Then again, if I come across a Southern hick then I probably will give them shit...only slagging.
    Nothing wrong with hating a government, but people should try to use their brains to comprehend the difference between a government and the people of that country.

Nor that even supporting Bush's actions should merit being abused on the street- even if one profoundly disagrees with it.
  • Options
    What for being American? Christ, some people are twats...

She was talking to an English friend in Sainsburys and someone laid into her accussing her of supporting the murder of Iraqi babies and saying the Americans deserved all they got

The irony is she went more anti-war and Bush than I am
  • Options
    She was talking to an English friend in Sainsburys and someone laid into her accussing her of supporting the murder of Iraqi babies and saying the Americans deserved all they got

I hate hearing stuff like that. Why do these people ignore British involvement in Iraq, the hypocrites. They are no better than fundamentalists and extremists in my eyes. :mad:
  • Options
    But there is a tradition of going abroad - teh countries people go to may differ, but the British are not by tradition stay at home types.

But the chart is not a % of people, but total in millions. there are about 4.5m people in the Irish Republic (Northern Ireland would be part of the UK). For them to be on the chart (even as low as the US) they'd have to have about a quarter of their population abroad

I'm also not sure whether it counts Irish Republic immigration into the UK, as for historical reasons Southern Irish nationals are often treated as UK citizens (they have the same full rights as UK subjects do - more than any other EU Country)

Irish emigration is at an historic low due to the 'Celtic Tiger' effect and the modernisation of other aspects of Irish society. Interestingly they find themselves dealing with immigrants and asking themselves similair questions to the British immigration debates.
  • Options
    I was just thinking that many if not most of Americans that can be found in Europe are unlikely to be yee-hah! warmongering Bushbots- that sort tends not to own a passport...
  • Options

That isn't going to happen, because most British emmigrants don't turn up in the back of a lorry on some distant shore because of the conditions here. We turn up with a huge wad of cash, get a visa, a job and a house.
    If you had seen the rigmorale it's taken for my boss to get into Canada (despite having a job waiting for her) or my mum to get into Australia then i'm surprised so many people goto the effort.

Mainly because this country is a hole. The weather is shite, and the place is going to the dogs.
  • Options
    I can imagine the weather and the cost of living here.

However, I'd like to move away for a few years to work and learn about a new culture.
  • Options
    Not a surprise at all. I for one - and loads of my friends and family members - am chomping at the bit to get away again.

It probably is a case of 'the grass is greener', it's so easy to get cheesed off with Britain when you're here. But in my experience, the grass is actually greener. We're moving to Berlin in April and I CAN'T WAIT. If I didn't have my parents to think of (and even they're going to up sticks when they retire) I think we could leave the UK for good and never look back.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    That isn't going to happen, because most British emmigrants don't turn up in the back of a lorry on some distant shore because of the conditions here. We turn up with a huge wad of cash, get a visa, a job and a house.
    If you had seen the rigmorale it's taken for my boss to get into Canada (despite having a job waiting for her) or my mum to get into Australia then i'm surprised so many people goto the effort.

Mainly because this country is a hole. The weather is shite, and the place is going to the dogs.

people have said this country is going to the dogs for centuries :lol: all doom and gloom with 13 year olds controlling the streets, then you see a man walking a dog outside in the rain :lol: