Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dyslexia and Jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you were going for a job, would you tell your employer you were dyslexic?

I don't know if i should say something (I have to do a written test) or keep quiet as it might stop me getting the job.

I know employers aren't allowed to discriminate, but i think thats bollocks and have never told any employer in the past.

What would you do ?

Comments

• Options
    You could tell them, but then give examples of how you deal with it, or suchlike. You know, put a positive spin on it.

It does depend on what the job is. I know some employers do discriminate and pass it off as something else, but I think dyslexia is a pretty common thing now, and unless you're applying to be a proofreader or a signwriter I doubt employers would be that put off.
  • Options
    The job does involve writing, but its nothing I haven't been able to do before. (with the aid of a spell check :D )

I just dont wanna give them an excuse to give me the chop.
  • Options
    I'd say if you think you can turn it into a positive, mention it. If you can't, or if you don't think it'll hurt not mentioning it, don't.

I have neglectled to inform my employers of any of my health problems (cause I agree with you about giving them excuses) :angel:
  • Options
    Coming from someone who's just taken over from the past admin, who was dyslexic and didn't tell anyone... I say, TELL THEM.

I'm a casual admin assistant and have taken over from the permanent administrator and it's a nightmare. She was a lovely person, but she's created a lot of problems with her spelling. If we'd known, perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad. But now I've got a lot of backlogging to sort out, with names and initials spelt wrong, it's going to be one arduous task.

So yeah, I say tell them.
  • Options
    I have dyspraxia, but handle it really well.

I think it's best to be open with employers. If it's a job where dyslexia would put you at a serious disadvantage, then maybe it would decrease your chances... If that were the case, to be fair you might find it frustrating anyway.

But yeah, tell them you're dyslexic.