Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Easier to point to lone nutter (latest US mass shooting)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well once again there are people mouring in the US because someone has pulled a gun in an education establishment.

Once again the reports start coming out about loner with "issues", insinuations of mental health problems...

And still it seems that ignorance of a link between availability of guns and this sort of crime - as well as an apparent culture of aggression means that the citizens of the States can simply pass this off as a sad event caused by a loner... rather than a systematic breakdown in society leading to more events in this one country than in the rest of the world combined...

Does anyone think that they will ever realise that there is something rotten in Mom's Apple Pie?

Comments

• Options
    They need to toughen gun laws. It seems to be becoming somewhat of a trend to suicidal people as a way to go out in 'style'. It will probably happen again before the end of the year.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The article I read said there have been 3 such shootings in 2008 already.
  • Options
    The availability of guns exacerbates the problem but it isn't the problem. There have been plenty of shootings in Europe, with far stricter gun laws.

The big problem is that people grow up watching violent movies, seeing how the violent characters get the money and get the girl, and then people are surprised that we have a violent society.

There is a direct link between the amount of violence that young people are exposed to and the amount of violence that people perpetrate. That isn't just about the media portrayal of violence as entertainment- people with violent childhoods tend to be violent themselves- but the media exposes more people to violence and normalises violent behaviour.

But pointing this out makes you some sort of religious/censorship fruitloop.
  • Options
    It's deeper than that though Kermit, after all we watch the same films over here and yet don't have the same level of problems.

What about the whole "shoot first" mentality which is partly why people want guns in the first place, but also evidenced by an military with a poor records for shoting anything that moves...
  • Options
    Scrap the Second Ammendment. :thumb:
  • Options
    And still it seems that ignorance of a link between availability of guns and this sort of crime

Is there a particularly strong link? Israel, Switzerland and Canada have very high levels of gun ownership yet relatively low levels of gun crime.

There are fifty states, some have tight gun control - and in some beyond federal regulations there's no state laws controlling firearms...

Gun laws help but it's not going to magically end the problem. London has high gun crime yet the UK has among the strictest gun laws in the world...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whether it's too to with availability or not I don't know, but I think it's clear the yanks have an unhealthy gun culture.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's deeper than that though Kermit, after all we watch the same films over here and yet don't have the same level of problems...

We do have a similar level of violent crime though - ours tends to be more stabbings, glassings etc. Now this does make it mean that we have less mass murders and more people who survive, but the US isn't more intrinsically violent than the UK
    What about the whole "shoot first" mentality which is partly why people want guns in the first place, but also evidenced by an military with a poor records for shoting anything that moves

Massive generalisation on both counts. People want weapons for all sorts of reasons, some good, some bad, some to do with liberty and right of the individual and some to do with fear (its worth noting that the Franklin quote so often bandied about without any thought on this board is about the right to bear arms*)

The US military is much less gung-ho than the French for example. It always makes the news when you shoot something you shouldn't, but never makes the news when you don't shoot something you shouldn't ( This combined with a culture of openess and a reluctant willingness to air dirty washing in public makes it seem the US is worse than they are).

*of course he may not originally have said it and there's an argument second ammendment supporters made it up to support their argument
  • Options
    It's deeper than that though Kermit, after all we watch the same films over here and yet don't have the same level of problems.

We do have the same level of problems, though, but over here we have knife crime because guns are less readily available. Whether being stabbed is better than being shot is a moot poiint. We have similar levels of violent crime and in places like Nottingham and London we have similar levels of violent crime using guns.

Stricter gun laws would probably stop shootings but it wouldn't do anything about the violence we have.
  • Options
    We have the same level of crime?

When was the last mass shooting in the UK?
  • Options
    Massive generalisation on both counts.

Indeed they were ;) Deliberately so...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The availability of guns exacerbates the problem but it isn't the problem. There have been plenty of shootings in Europe, with far stricter gun laws.

The big problem is that people grow up watching violent movies, seeing how the violent characters get the money and get the girl, and then people are surprised that we have a violent society.

There is a direct link between the amount of violence that young people are exposed to and the amount of violence that people perpetrate. That isn't just about the media portrayal of violence as entertainment- people with violent childhoods tend to be violent themselves- but the media exposes more people to violence and normalises violent behaviour.

But pointing this out makes you some sort of religious/censorship fruitloop.
    I know this kind of view is attractive, but I don't think there are any studies which absolutely and conclusively prove this point?
  • Options
    Kinds why I prompted the debate really, I have other thoughts but wanted to see what y'all thought...
  • Options
    Wow... 14 replies and no mention of "guns don't kill people- people kill people". I'm impressed ;)

While it is true that other countries with high gun ownership don't have as high incidents of shootings as the US, the truth remains that gun ownership does not prevent crime or protects law abiding citizens to any extent. On the contrary, you can guarantee that burglars and robbers are all going to be carrying in such nations, and in the immense majority of cases the victim is going to come worse off. How many situations in which a home owner disturbs a burglar in Britain and the burglar legs it (or at worst beats the homeowner up) would end up in a shootout if everybody owned guns in Britain? A lot.

There are no pros about legal gun ownership, and a lot of cons.
  • Options
    There's a big pro in personal liberty...

Of course if you're a cynic you might believe there are limits to liberalism...

(For the record I think our laws our too strict and the US (or at least some states) aren't strict enough)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Wow... 14 replies and no mention of "guns don't kill people- people kill people". I'm impressed ;)
    But I think the gun helps [/Eddie Izzard]
  • Options
    There's a big pro in personal liberty...

Of course if you're a cynic you might believe there are limits to liberalism...

(For the record I think our laws our too strict and the US (or at least some states) aren't strict enough)
    See, I quite never got that. The only people who I could understand believing in that are the pure libertarian nutjobs a la seeker or klintock who actually advocated for the right of individuals to own nuclear weapons.

However if one does not believe in the right to own nuclear weapons, I can't see why they would feel their liberty infringed by not being able to own a gun. I mean, does anyone here feel opressed because they're not allowed to own nukes? Is it any different from not being allowed to own a gun?

If I feel my personal liberty is being infringed it certainly comes from, say, not being allowed to take drugs for my own recreation if I wish to do so, or not being able to die with dignity as and when I choose it. Gun ownership ranks pretty low in my liberty priorities.

Indeed, even though I suspect the majority of gun owners in the US are firmly against drug use, you have to wonder what kind of logic they subscribe to when they think their personal liberty is enhanced by the right to own a device designed soley to kill a human being, when at the same time they don't mind about about laws who would put them in jail solely for posessing substances designed to make them feel good.

:confused:
  • Options

While it is true that other countries with high gun ownership don't have as high incidents of shootings as the US, the truth remains that gun ownership does not prevent crime or protects law abiding citizens to any extent. On the contrary, you can guarantee that burglars and robbers are all going to be carrying in such nations, and in the immense majority of cases the victim is going to come worse off. How many situations in which a home owner disturbs a burglar in Britain and the burglar legs it (or at worst beats the homeowner up) would end up in a shootout if everybody owned guns in Britain? A lot.

There are no pros about legal gun ownership, and a lot of cons.

i'd say the gun laws we had until we banned handguns were perfectly reasonable ie legal to own under strict license, and awkwad to get licenses, but at the same time they aren't that bad really since there is hardly any use for a gun

the single best thing they could do in america is for every gun you get, you have to provide a test round to the police there for record keeping, also keeps the 2nd amendment, which in it's entirety allows for the states to defend themselves against the federal government in case the federal government ever used the national army on their own people
  • Options
    Gun ownership ranks pretty low in my liberty priorities.

And there's the rub isn't it... We all want liberty for ourselves, but are willing to sacrifice it for others.

To be fair we're all the same. I want the liberty to drink and smoke, but I don't want others to have the liberty to have weapons. But as a drinker and a smoker I have as much potential to harm others as the average gun-owner does (next to none)

As an aside given how widespread gun ownership in the US is I'd say that saying the average gunowner is against drug use is probably only accurate is saying the average person is.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    If we knew the true meaning of charity we'd give up our love of drinking to set an example to the people who's love is firearms and then they would be more inclined to give them up not wanting us to better them. It's all about competition at this level.
    It's an exponential curve - The butterfly effect. Things would get better and better. The knock on effects that we can't even begin to see would fall away opening up fresh new pastures and brighter futures to so many.
    We have to give up the things that we secretly love even if we're not inclined to admit that we love them, or as probably the case have some kind of perfectly imperfect lust for. We're most of us blinded by it!
    Make straight the paths of the lord!

As with all things in this universe there is an opposite - that exponential curve I talked about goes the other way to. That road leads to death and hell.
    :rolleyes: :confused:
  • Options
    Linking shootings to cultural influences is too easy IMO. Isn't this incident symptomatic of something seriously wrong in with young people on both sides of the Atlantic. As has been pointed we have similair levels of violence involving young people in this country just using different weapons but the politicians blame tv, computer games, Hip-Hop anything but themselves.

Young people are dying like flies by their own hands in Bridgend and all I hear in the media is blame placed on internet websites despite there being no conclusive evidence as yet.

We need to look deeper methinks...
  • Options
    To be fair we're all the same. I want the liberty to drink and smoke, but I don't want others to have the liberty to have weapons. But as a drinker and a smoker I have as much potential to harm others as the average gun-owner does (next to none)
    Well not really though is it? People with mental issues who don't have easy access to a gun are a lot less likely to harm others. There is nothing to suggest there is a lower proportion of people with mental illness in here than in the US. And yet, even accounting for their population being 4.5 times bigger than ours, the disparity is enormous. Where are the monthly shootouts at universities here? Where are the yearly massacres?

I'm not sure the comparison with drinking and smoking holds much water either. Neither activity is designed to kill another human being. Unlike a gun.
  • Options
    Well not really though is it? People with mental issues who don't have easy access to a gun are a lot less likely to harm others. There is nothing to suggest there is a lower proportion of people with mental illness in here than in the US. And yet, even accounting for their population being 4.5 times bigger than ours, the disparity is enormous. Where are the monthly shootouts at universities here? Where are the yearly massacres?.

You seem to be missing my point - I am not arguing that weapons don't kill (though strictly speaking it's the bullet which kills unless you bash someone over the head repeatedly) or that the US doesn't have a higher murder rate.

I'm perfectly happy to have weapons laws in place

But what I am arguing is that it reduces people's liberty.
    I'm not sure the comparison with drinking and smoking holds much water either. Neither activity is designed to kill another human being. Unlike a gun

Perhaps smoking less so. but alcohol results in thousands of deaths per year in terms of drink driving and violence. Okay most people, won't get into a car drunk, but then most firearm owners won't ever fire there weapon at a person.

As I said I'm happy to have weapons restrictions in place, but lets not pretend that we're doing anything but sacrificing people's liberty for our own security.
  • Options
    Hence why I was bringing the nuclear weapon analogy earlier. Technically it might be true that by denying individuals the right to own nukes we're eroding their liberty. But in the real world, how serious that eroding is, and does anyone really give a shit or feel opressed by not being allowed to own nukes (other than the odd ultra libertarian nutjob)?

A world where everyone would have 100% liberty to do absolutely anything they wanted, even if it could be achieved (which I very much doubt, since some people's liberties would invariably clash with others and something would have to give) would be an indescribable hellhole. We simply have to make the best of life and to weigh in our priorities and quality of life together with our liberties.

The fact that by not being legally allowed to own a gun my liberty is being somehow eroded is as relevant as the fact that I'm not allowed to own nukes or drop kittens in deep fryers. And so it should be to anyone with an ounce of common sense, decency and rationality in them. It's not even worth pointing out IMO.
  • Options
    I think if we didnt have gun controls we would eventually just end up like america,as in any nut job could get there hands on a gun,as for peoples civil libertys and that thats crap where does it end.
    I dont get it anyway what are guns for?what are they used for?it aint legal to shoot sum1 is it,i know people go on abouts hunting and that but cum on we are in britain we aint in the middle of a game resoviour in africa.
    I know 'guns dont kill,people do' but they make it so any nutter with a finger can possible kill you.
  • Options
    It's an interesting debate and don't think you can point at any one thing saying "that's the reason for it". I suspect that the climate of fear that's been cultivated over there doesn't help any. The availability of guns will play a part in the increased frequency of these events also, as it would be more difficult to go on a knife-wielding killing spree - though obviously not impossible. What always baffled me is why do these things seem to happen so regularly in educational establishments?
  • Options
    Hence why I was bringing the nuclear weapon analogy earlier. Technically it might be true that by denying individuals the right to own nukes we're eroding their liberty. But in the real world, how serious that eroding is, and does anyone really give a shit or feel opressed by not being allowed to own nukes (other than the odd ultra libertarian nutjob)?

It's a rather silly analogy. I've never known anyone go target shooting with nukes or hunting with them either.
    A world where everyone would have 100% liberty to do absolutely anything they wanted, even if it could be achieved (which I very much doubt, since some people's liberties would invariably clash with others and something would have to give) would be an indescribable hellhole. We simply have to make the best of life and to weigh in our priorities and quality of life together with our liberties.

Of course it couldn't. I don't believe in 100% liberty.
    The fact that by not being legally allowed to own a gun my liberty is being somehow eroded is as relevant as the fact that I'm not allowed to own nukes or drop kittens in deep fryers. And so it should be to anyone with an ounce of common sense, decency and rationality in them. It's not even worth pointing out IMO.

Well it wouldn't erode your liberty, so that's alright. But there are plenty of legitimate uses for pistols and rifles. Now I'm willing to say that it's tough, but we're going to reduce your liberty for my safety. But I do accept that it's going to have a negative impact on some people's freedom...
  • Options
    Aladdin, you miss a crucial point.

The Government are allowed to have guns and we're not. That immediately erodes our liberty to quite a significant extent, because we can't defend ourselves against the Government.

There are plenty of legitimate uses for rifles and pistols beyond killing people. I think gun controls in this country are too strict; only the criminals have guns, which puts us all in a weaker position.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    guns and we're not. That immediately erodes our liberty to quite a significant extent, because we can't defend ourselves against the Government.

And nuclear weapons? Presumably anyone rich enough should be able to afford one of them to defend themselves against the government?
  • Options
    What always baffled me is why do these things seem to happen so regularly in educational establishments?

Higher prevalance of black nail polish, eyeliner and hairspray.