Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shepherd's Pie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you make it? Obviously lamb mince, mash etc, and I have some carrots to put in. But what's the process?

I'm making it for Rich as a belated Valentine's meal next weekend, so I want it to taste good.

Comments

• Options
    Personally I:
    • Dice onion, fry off in a little oil/butter to soften
    • Add mince, cook thoroughly
    • Make gravy stuff into cooked mince, not separately - usually some beef stock (OXO baby!), a little Worcester sauce, a little soy sauce, some herbs and spices from my cupboard, tomato puree, black pepper, marmite
    • Leave it to infuse for a bit, then thicken it up with Bisto powder mixed with water so it makes a kind of thin paste, then mix in and stir
    • Put in baking dish and leave it to set for a couple of hours. I find this helps the mash to not sink in to the mince
    • Mash potato, add to top
    • Smooth over and comb with a fork to make grooves, sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top and bake in oven
    • With your carrots, instead of puttingthem in slice into batons, cook, drain, then melt a knob of butter with a spoon of wholegrain mustard, toss carrots in to coat and serve as a side dish instead of in the pie

Tada! I wouldn't ask for quantities though as I'm not very good with those, I'm a throw it in type of person. Also, I had a shepherds pie on Monday and it wasn't as nice as cottage (I usually make with lean steak mince but the lamb mince was going cheap) :( but thats personal preference I expect.
  • Options
    I Love These Pies.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Personally I:
    • Dice onion, fry off in a little oil/butter to soften
    • Add mince, cook thoroughly
    • Make gravy stuff into cooked mince, not separately - usually some beef stock (OXO baby!), a little Worcester sauce, a little soy sauce, some herbs and spices from my cupboard, tomato puree, black pepper, marmite
    • Leave it to infuse for a bit, then thicken it up with Bisto powder mixed with water so it makes a kind of thin paste, then mix in and stir
    • Put in baking dish and leave it to set for a couple of hours. I find this helps the mash to not sink in to the mince
    • Mash potato, add to top
    • Smooth over and comb with a fork to make grooves, sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top and bake in oven
    • With your carrots, instead of puttingthem in slice into batons, cook, drain, then melt a knob of butter with a spoon of wholegrain mustard, toss carrots in to coat and serve as a side dish instead of in the pie

Tada! I wouldn't ask for quantities though as I'm not very good with those, I'm a throw it in type of person. Also, I had a shepherds pie on Monday and it wasn't as nice as cottage (I usually make with lean steak mince but the lamb mince was going cheap) :( but thats personal preference I expect.
    Reckon you can do it with chicken stock instead? I don't have any beef, just liquid concentrated chicken or vegetable.
  • Options
    the lamb should give plenty of juices, so id probs use the vegetable stock cube if you dnt have a beef or lamb cube
  • Options
    I made one the other week with 500g mince, couple of carrots, bout 4 med sized pots(for the mash) and 1 large onion, plus herbs, lamb cube and a bit of flour to thicken it up...
    Basically make sure you cook the onions til transparent, then chuck in mince and cook thoroughly. Throw in stock stuff, carrots, herbs. I used bouquet garni last time, which is mwah!
    I usually get the pots boiling while the mince is cooking.
    Once pots are ready, move the mince and carrot mix into a dish.
    Mash the pots with a bit of milk/butter, splodge on top and make pretty patterns with a fork.
    Pop into a preheated oven bout 200C/gas mark 6
    and yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
  • Options
    Do I need to use onions? I don't really like them :/
  • Options
    then dont put them in, simple as. That's the great thing about recipes..you can change them to your liking :) mmmm im hungry now!
  • Options
    i was just gonna write you out my fab recipe but onions is pretty major part of it
  • Options
    i was just gonna write you out my fab recipe but onions is pretty major part of it
    Well as long as you can't taste them too much I'm sure I can aquire some to use :).
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    Cottage pie is SO much nicer than Shepherds pie :p

Use lots of peas and top it with cheeeesse :yum:
    Lamb mince was cheaper :p. I also have no peas or cheese :(.
  • Options
    I brown off the mince with some rosemary. I then make up some lamb oxo and add that to the mince with a good splash of red wine, and simmer it for a while. Add it to a dish, top with mash, and heat in the oven for a while, then serve it with whatever veg you like :yum:
  • Options
    I'm not an onion fan, but have made it with and without and I reckon it tastes better with. Dice it really really thin and then they just disappear and and to the overal flavour rather than having bits of onion in it.