Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being a freelance journo and tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I'm in my final year of university and I've just been offered a freelance sub-editing job that may develop into a permanent post.

At the moment I'm being paid per article as opposed to by day but have spoken to my contacts at the NUJ about the fee and it's correct *hoorah!* and now I'm wondering about tax.

How the hell do I go about tax? I have no idea what it is etc. Why don't they teach you this stuff in school? We had a talk at university about it but it didn't make any sense.

Anybody a freelance journalist and know what I'm supposed to do?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Oooh thanks. I'm checking out that Taxaid now. I've not been paid as of yet and they're not taking my bank details till next week. It's all a bit confusing if you ask me. Makes you wonder why they don't cover this in PSE or something at school.

Ironically my mum's an accountant too. Haha

Thanks again!
  • Options
    If you're operating as a self employed freelancer then you'll need to register with HMRC within the first 3 months of starting. If I were you, I'd start outting your tax on one side every month so that when you get a bill at the end of the financial year you'll be able to pay it. You'll also have to pay National Insurance contributions. For self employed people there are 2 kinds, class 2 and class 4. Class 2 is a fixed rate of around £2.50 a week. Class 4 insurance you pay on your profits (whatever you have left over from paying your business costs).

There is a lovely organisation called Taxaid that can explain things if you get in a real muddle, but HMRC can be surprisingly helpful if you give them a call.

:yes: All really good stuff. If you can have a seperate bank account (preferably with a debit card for expenses) for your earnings and business related costs. HMRC can get a bit twitchy if everything goes through your main bank account you also use for day-to-day stuff. Keep your expenses receipts!!

I'd definatly agree with putting your tax aside. Makes it much easier when the you have to do your self assesment forms.
  • Options
    FYI the number to call for registering as self employed with HMRC is 0845 915 4515