Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wht's the fastest way to get an bortion- privately right? How long does it take, like can you bok a consultation for the next day and have the procedure the next day usually?

How long does it take on the nhs, if you had an appointment for a consultation on the 6thMarch, when could you expect the procedure?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Going private is normally the fastest way to get an appointment. Generally Feb - April are quite busy times and it tails off during the summer, but most women can get an appointment for a consultation within a day if they're lucky, or at least within that week, same if they're booking the termination for a different day.

With our NHS clients, once they had the consultation date (which can be the longest to get) they would have the termination within a few days to a week.
  • Options
    Are you alright Kat? :heart:
  • Options
    yeah, I'm bleeding into my knickers right now, no worries, it isn't me. So is there any difference between the clinics or is it all much of a muchness, I found marie stopes in a quick google?
  • Options
    Marie stopes is the org that did my mates abortion-it was a couple of years ago but she phoned them and got an appointment within 4 days, and they did the proceedure on the day, even though she requested general anesthatic. its not cheap though, but they seemed v kind and efficient.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    yeah, I'm bleeding into my knickers right now, no worries, it isn't me. So is there any difference between the clinics or is it all much of a muchness, I found marie stopes in a quick google?

I don't know much about BPAS but the Marie Stopes ones can vary a little bit. The 3 big clinics are Ealing, Essex and Brixton and they're fairly large centres which can get pretty busy. There's a smaller clinic in Warren St but they don't offer general anaesthetic and it's a very small building. I don't know anything about the other centres. On the whole, the front line staff are very kind. Not a cheap service unfortunately.
  • Options
    Cheersfor all the quick replies. Friend has decided to go with her nhs app but if she freaks out before then, or they offfer long waiting after consultation, she'll go private.
  • Options
    In my NHS Experience I had to wait ages for the initial appointment but when i got to it they tried to book me in for the next day - I had a total freak out because I wasn't expecting it to be that quick given the initial wait and i'd organised to give a dinner party that night (which was also the day before christmas eve) - so after much pleading they gave me a date the week after..........

ETA - if i had the choice again i wouldnt' go on the NHS - I didn't feel like anyone really questioned me at all about weather I was ready - noone really explained what was going on - i was generally made to feel a bit crap and I was packed off after it was all done with out any information about what to do next or even an indication of who i might want to call for councilling if i was i dunno mildly upset by it.
  • Options
    the NHS were pretty quick with me too, although it was a long time ago. I think it was within the week, or certainly not much more than that (i cant remember exactly) They also didnt offer me any info or counselling or whatnot, but it wasnt a problem in my case. Might not be so good for someone whos not totally sure its what they want.
  • Options
    Yes - I was totally sure that it was the right decision and i've never thought of it as being the wrong thing to do - though i do sometimes get a little drunk and teary when I think that I could have an 8 year old by now.

However what i do worry is that someone who wasnt' as sure or as clued up as me could end up doing something they wern't sure about and then having noone to support them if they regretted it.....
  • Options
    you certainly dont get the cuddles and aftercare with the NHS. In fact like your experience, almost the opposite with most of the staff, apart from one nurse who smiled and stroked my face as i was wheeled in to theatre. I really remember that. Made such a difference.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    However what i do worry is that someone who wasnt' as sure or as clued up as me could end up doing something they wern't sure about and then having noone to support them if they regretted it.....

Precistly.

NHS was pretty quick, told the doctor my decision on the Tuesday I think and I was booked in for the following Monday - but I didn't want/have general anesthetic.
    I found the staff nice and friendly, and have got a leaflet on where to find more help/support; although no one has as such explained if I can get any help. Just got a loada leaflets shoved in me face. Don't know about aftercare yet really...
  • Options
    So am i right in think after your consultation they will actually do the procedure within a week?
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I feel sick. Sorry.

:no: That is so inappropiate.

Valid feeling, but why post it?
  • Options
    because J is so much holier than thou. Didnt you know?
  • Options
    appointment on the NHS have improved alot, got an appointment for consulation and treatment on the same day, only a two week wait
  • Options
    That may be your opinion but it is TOTALLY inappropriate in this kind of thread J. But then, when has that ever stopped you before? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    J, this isn't the place to advertise your views on abortion. That may be the way you feel but it's not appropriate to post it in a place where it will probably upset someone who is already going through a hard time. There's a thread in P&D for discussion on people's views on abortion, why don't you go use that instead of upsetting people who are in a delicate mental position, eh?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    J - as requested you absolutely NEED to stop posting your views in this thread. It is NOT politics and debate - this is a forum for support and empathy - NOT for the views you are airing.
  • Options
    Someone asking for the quickest way to get an abortion has probably already made their informed choice and your opinion isn't exactly the whole truth, or even part truth is it?

so what if it makes you feel sick? it's not your body, you will never have to have an abortion either so stop trying to force your opinions onto people to whom it is relevant.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Not for us to judge...

Maybe I was easier going a few years back? I don't know. Sorry that we dont see eye to eye these days.

Not for you to judge either.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Right, back to the topic in hand after that misfortunate sidetrack.

I was offered an appointment on the NHS to suit me as I was in the middle of my finals. They were all very friendly, but I dont think I was offered counselling until I ended up in a random doctors appt crying my heart out.

I also didnt appreciate the lecture afterwards about contraception. It was one slip up and I wasnt stupid and didnt need to be treated like a dick.

But apart from that, I have no problems with the treatment I received, and going private was certainly not an option for me.
  • Options
    Is it expensive, going private ? I've no idea how much it would cost.
  • Options
    I made my decision on the Tuesday through my GP and was refered to a MSI clinic for my appointment a week later.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Is it expensive, going private ? I've no idea how much it would cost.

From what I've seen it ranges from about 550 - 1800 depending on your stage; fucking expensive if you have no money, cheaper than raising a child.