Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Violence against firefighters on the increase

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7238127.stm

It has to be said it takes a special kind of cunt to attack the very people who are trying to save lives.

So what prompts these lowlife scum to attack firefighters? And what can be done about it?

The words 'shit' 'kick' and 'out of' certainly spring to mind.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I liked this one
    Conflict resolution training where violent attacks cannot be avoided

does it mean training firefighters to kick the shit out of the thugs? (Victory being the best conflict resolution method) At the very least they should be allowed to turn the hoses on them.
  • Options
    Firstly, it will help if the Government actually takes the problem seriously. They seem to have been peddling the claim that attacks on firefighters have gone down 68% in the last few years. Today, the truth has been exposed, and our ministers have been caught lying yet again.

Now, the article quotes someone called Matt Wrack as saying "in some areas, attacking fire crews has become a recreational activity with very serious consequences". That, I suspect, hits the nail on the head. This seems to be about little more than a bunch of ferals who have no understanding of right and wrong, who care little about themselves and even less about others. The rising attacks on firefighters (along with doctors, nurses, paramedics, shop staff and countless other workers) is a symptom of a very sick society.
    does it mean training firefighters to kick the shit out of the thugs? At the very least they should be allowed to turn the hoses on them.
    *cue crocodile tears from liberals everywhere* Oh, I can just about imagine the reaction to this. We'll see the usual noisy brigade of people whinging that this breaks the Human Rights Act, that the poor little dears were left all wet and embarrassed. Whereas personally I think that's letting them off far too lightly.
  • Options
    You wouldn't hear complaints from me!

They should do what they do in some countries and colour the water with a dye. Then when they get attacked they can spray (and dye) them, ruining their clothes and making it easy to identify them.

In the same way as attacking a police officer attracts more severe punishment, I think a similar level of protection should be extended to members of vital services such as the firefighters, emergency crews and doctors & nurses. That won't stop all attacks but should prevent some at least.
  • Options
    this is a problem that has been going on for years, my bro is a firefighter and he's told me about this sort of stuff before.

its a problem that has been going on in northern areas for a while.

i know Bradford has had big problems with this in the mainly ethnic areas.

its something that needs dealing with harshly and with a proper punishment.

bad parenting if you ask me, when i was a youth i'd never dream of doing anything such as this, and i know a lot still wouldnt, its just a minority.

there's some dispersal orders been implemented in Burnley, but i dont think they police them cos they are as bad as ever, including the youth club down the road where about 20 young un's were drinking cans of lager outside on friday night, unchallenged. great youth club that supporting that sort of behaviour.

scum, subhuman scum
  • Options
    It's a big problem here, even have adverts that tell ya not to attack them. Wee scumbags with nothing better to do, that's who's to blame. Need some discipline and good kick up the hole.
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of any situation where someone would attack a firefighter. Why the fuck would anyone do that?
  • Options
    same reason they set fire to wheely bins, smash bus stops, happy slap....because they need to be culled.
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of any situation where someone would attack a firefighter. Why the fuck would anyone do that?

For fun...
  • Options
    same reason they set fire to wheely bins, smash bus stops, happy slap....because they need to be culled.

Although I'm against weapons, sometimes I agree that if someone is just determined to attack someone that they should be shot there and then to stop the attack. But I know it would only make the situation worse as tensions grow.

Maybe we could shoot the parents :chin: a lot of the reason 'absos' are so horrid is because they've not received a good childhood. That's not the 'liberal hugging' perspective either (before you say it is, SG ;)), it's the reality of the matter. None of us with relatively good upbringings would imagine this kind of action against public servants.

What would happen in Iraq if someone was throwing a firebomb at a police truck? You can bet they'd break out the AKs. I see it as nothing less than attempted murder which should always carry the harshest sentence (not capital punishment though - I mean, they should be shot in the act).

I watched robocop the other days, it's looking more and more like a world of violence and gangs with zones police tend to not hang round in because they will be attacked. (rather than to scare people)
  • Options
    Violence against paramedics, firefighters, nurses and the police should be punished severely. Hate crimes, i.e. racially aggravated assault already result in a longer sentence, I think it usually adds two years. I think the same should apply to mindless acts of violence against essential front-line workers in the emergency services. Attacking a paramedic or firefighter puts lives at risk - paramedics can't save lives when they themselves are in A&E because of a vicious assault and firefighters can't save lives when they're getting stitches...

These people do a dangerous enough job without having to worry about some twat starting on them - they deserve the right to work in safety and the govt should be taking these issues very seriously.
  • Options
    Just goes to show the extent of british yob culture, shit heads who will happily attack people trying to save lives. Firefighters should be allowed to excersize extreme violence against these parasites.
  • Options
    Anyone who attacks a firefighter or paramedic whilst they are doing their life-saving job deserves to have to book thrown at them.

Fucking awful. These people should be respected.
  • Options
    They just have nothing to do. If under-16s could drink in pubs, they'd be contained, under the gaze of adults, and we'd have none of this.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    They just have nothing to do. If under-16s could drink in pubs, they'd be contained and we'd have none of this.

not true, the same scumbags would probably cause trouble in the pubs.

as for not having anything to do, thats just the stock answer, its bollocks, there is always something to do, its just about having the desire to do it, rather than go around causing bother
  • Options
    They just have nothing to do. If under-16s could drink in pubs, they'd be contained, under the gaze of adults, and we'd have none of this.

you gotta be joking?
  • Options

I think its cause they've been drinking they cause trouble - I bet half of them aren't sober...
  • Options
    its always been a problem here but its not tolerated in a lot of areas and the wee bastards are liable to be (and have been on several occasions) trailed down a nice alley and get kicked sensless by the emm .. 'makeshift authorities' .. it would also be a suicide mission for them to try and put on a fire on teh 12th!!

id take a guess and say when these attacks do happen its probably a fire that they have lit themselves and not the likes of a house fire etc .. not that it makes it any more acceptable!
    They should do what they do in some countries and colour the water with a dye. Then when they get attacked they can spray (and dye) them, ruining their clothes and making it easy to identify them.

could slightly adapt it and do what they used to do here .. put a special dye in the water cannons used for riot control that is invisible to the naked eye but dyes the skin/clothes for weeks with a dye that shows up using a special light.. would be good for catchin em when they think theyve got away with it

i think it should be more of a case of harsh punishments tho, really isnt right for paramedics and firefighters to be attacked while doing their job

as for not having anything to do, thats just the stock answer, its bollocks, there is always something to do, its just about having the desire to do it, rather than go around causing bother

cant say i agree with this 100%, sometimes there really is fuck all to do, hence why a lot of younger ones resort to petty vandalism and the likes
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Anyone who attacks a firefighter or paramedic whilst they are doing their life-saving job deserves to have to book thrown at them.

Fucking awful. These people should be respected.

:yes: There was a story a month or two back where an ambulance was stolen while paramedics where attending a 999 call. FFS.

The amount of abuse/attacks my mums had during the 30 odd years shes been nursing is horrendous.
  • Options

LMFAO you are kidding aren't you? And what about the 10-15 year olds who are the ones causing the problems. What about the 18-20 year olds I deal with who never step foot inside a pub and drink out on the street before deciding to drag someone from a car and beat them....?

The scumbags who attack cops, firefighters, paramedics, doctors, nurses, teachers should be punished severely. At least cops can fight back, I think the firefighters should be given the same option, either they are attested as special constables and given batons/cuffs to keep in the fire engine, or they are authorised to turn their hoses on people causing them problems.