Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

council tax?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:eek:

I recently moved into my own place and have had a letter from the council saying how much the council tax is.... its gonna be just over £200 a month :eek: :( does that sound right? I live in a 1 bed flat and i was expecting it to be a lot but not nearly half what my actual rent is :eek:

how much do you pay and what size property do you live in?

Comments

• Options
    As far as i'm aware (well it is this way with my local council) that it's not the size of the property but the value of it on which the council tax is worked out. Although if you are living by yourself you are entitled to a 25% discount. Although all of the parish's in my local council have a slightly different price for each band depedning on the village/town whatever.

Around here band A is between £842 - £891 per year and band B is between £982 - £1039
    To be paying £200 a month thats like band F G and H around here!
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »

I recently moved into my own place and have had a letter from the council saying how much the council tax is.... its gonna be just over £200 a month :eek: :( does that sound right? I live in a 1 bed flat and i was expecting it to be a lot but not nearly half what my actual rent is :eek:

Sounds like a lot, but it's near the end of the tax year, maybe that's a bill covering a long period of time. Check the dates to make sure you are not being billed the whole year.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    ours is band a and is about £90 a month i think
  • Options
    Remember you may be eligible for single occupancy discount of 25% of you are the only person who lives there.

My 1 bed flat worked out around £90 per month after discount. Nice.
  • Options
    I'm confused, is it based on the area you live in as well as the property or just the property?
  • Options
    Different councils charge slightly different rates...depending on the costs police and so on add on as well. But the actual band that the property is classed at is based on the property alone.
  • Options
    Does sound a lot. We live i a 3 bed semi and it's about £1,000 a year
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    diddlybop wrote: »

Without knowing more about the overall bill it's hard to say.

What band are you? What's the yearly amount? And as Lacrymosa asked - How many installments is it?
  • Options
    My house is band A (previous council house) and it's £831.02 a year. We overpaid where we used to live (Band C) so at the moment we're only paying £60 a month.
  • Options
    i havent got a clue what band i am but i live in a 3 bed and pay £120 a month although i know its going up with the coucil tax increase :(

£200 does seem alot i would phone the coucil and explain to them that your living on your own so that you can get a discount.

let us know how you get on though.
  • Options
    OK i was being a bit daft and the letter was so scary i didnt read it properly!! :o Its £204 for Jan - 31st march - i only moved in in Jan. The total is £1055 for the year so I guess its about the same as other peoples - its a band B property, in greater london so apparently we get charged for all the police and stuff in London who look after us as well as the standard council tax.

Glad its not £200 a month :D:D

will contact them re single occupancy discount asap