Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Racist taunts towards Lewis Hamilton

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Surprised no ones made a thread about this.

How do you stop this kinda behaviour? Black England players were taunted when they played Spain in a friendly too, and the Spanish manager Aragones was quoted as calling Thierry Henry a 'black shit' or something like that.

Has there been any condemnation from Fernando Alonso?

ZLewisHamilton_468x308.jpg

Comments

• Options
    The most revealing thing about that picture is it exposes the racists for the stupid retards they really are. Just take a look at their T-shirts - it seems not one of them is able to spell the word "family" correctly.

Now, I'm told that there's a lot of racism in Spanish sport, particularly in football. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, but let's not forget the football match back in 2005. England were taking part in a friendly match against Spain. The atmosphere was anything but friendly. Every time the ball was passed to a black player, sections of the audience started making monkey chants. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen, and it would not surprise me if similar people were behind this.

I'm not sure how you'd stop it. It would require a huge change in attitudes, ultimately. I think it might have to be dealt with in a similar way to which the footballing authorities dealt with British hooliganism a those years back.
  • Options
    the fact they were allowed on it and it appears allowed to stand there not contronted by anyone is pretty disgusting. Personally, if i was lewis hammleton, i would have got out of my car and shown them whos boss.
  • Options
    It'll just be the same hypocritical reaction we get from any other sport. When the UK, specifically England vs. Turkey has an incidence of racism in football, they are given a final warning, and if it happens again, we would've been kicked out of the tournament. When the same happened in Spain, as has happened on more than one occassion now, they are given some pathetic fine with absolutely no requirement to do anything to improve the situation. If it was simply monkey chants like the football, then you could put it down to a rather distasteful way of showing the rivalry between Alonso fans and his main rival last year (let's not forget they didn't exactly get on). Still a problem, but you can't have expected the authorities to expect something like that to happen. But the fact that the Spanish authorities actually allowed people in the stadium who had obviously consciously made a pre-planned effort to racially abuse someone just shows to me that they couldn't give too shits about the problem. If a sportsman can't compete without being abused, then maybe we shouldn't be hosting sporting events in that stadium. There are a hell of a lot of countries lined up to take Spain's place in hosting a grand prix leg.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The most revealing thing about that picture is it exposes the racists for the stupid retards they really are. Just take a look at their T-shirts - it seems not one of them is able to spell the word "family" correctly.

Not that I agree with what they were trying to say by doing it, but remember SG that not everyone in foreign countries necessarily wants to learn English fluently ;).
  • Options
    Whereas I don't believe Spain has larger numbers of racists than other European countries, the Spanish authorities' reaction to any such incidents is simply unnaceptable.

They need to start coming down hard on the perpetrators and on the owners of the venue where it happens if it is believed more could have been done to prevent such incidents or stop them as soon as possible.

If the Spanish authorities don't do anything, then yes, the international authorities should start handing out harsher punishments, including the removal of scheduled grand prix races or expulsion from football tournaments.
  • Options
    This is sadly nothing new in Spain, as Luis Aragones has proven.

Aladdin is in a much better position to criticise than most here and he puts it very well.