Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Putting on Weight...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering what people thought... and if I'm going in the right direction.

I am 5'7" and weight 8 & half stone. I want to put on about a stone in weight, maybe a little more and tone up a bit.

I normally find putting on weight impossible but I did have a terrible diet.
I have just joined a gym which I will probably go to 2-3 times a week and do weight training (little or no cardio)

I have also just brought some weight gain powder (high calorie & protine)

My diet now consists of something along the lines of:

Breakfast - A couple of bits of Fruit and either toast or cereal

Lunch - Sandwich or a Roll either containing meat (normally chick or ham etc) or fish (prawns, tuna)

Dinner - Really varies, but its always a big proper home cooked meal with plenty of meat and vegetables.. then either pasta or potato.

In between meals I have been snacking on yoghurt, nuts, dried fruit, cereal bars etc

I make sure I drink 2ltrs of water a day and normally get pure apple / orange juice or a smoothie in as well.

Does this sound like I'm going about it the right sort of way? How long will it take to see results?

Comments

• Options
    Come on James that diet is far to healthy.

Get yourself a double whopper meal for lunch, that should help. :D

Seriously though, try eating more carbs (potato's, pasta) that should help.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Come on James that diet is far to healthy.

Get yourself a double whopper meal for lunch, that should help. :D

Seriously though, try eating more carbs (potato's, pasta) that should help.

:D
    Nah, crap food does nothing for me in terms of weight.

I do get a fair bit of carbs, but I thought protein was the best way of putting on weight?
  • Options
    When you say putting on weight, I assume you mean muscle?

Protein will help. Also try eating lots of bananas (i read somewhere they help)

CheeseOnToast knows his stuff though, I'm sure him or someone else can advise you better.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of the guy who writes stronglifts.com. You may find that some of the articles overlap, but he's a good source of information. Nutrition and building muscle

The results depends a lot on your nutrition, how you work out and your body. My boyfriend packs on muscle easily (I hate him) but other friends of mine have to work pretty hard. Try to balance out your meals a bit more (breakfast for example) with some protein and fat.