Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No Inventory

As far as I know, we don't have an inventory for the house. If we do, I sure as hell haven't signed to agree to it. Does this mean that technically the landlord can't charge us for any damages/dilapidations as there is no agreement of the condition of the house when we moved in?

We have one of those assured shorthold tenancy things, if that makes any difference.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hope so mate, as the wall paper in the hall was pretty dilapidated when we left, but despite naggings from us when we moved in there was no inventory done, so I THINK its all ok.
    the house was shabby as hell when we moved in, the only bit that wasnt standard wear and tear was where the cat had the upstarir hall wall paper as a srratching post.
    what damage are you talking about though?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There isn't anything specific that is damaged (that I know of). When I moved in the others were already living there, we just signed a new contract and it was generally dirty in the halls/stairs/kitchen-lounge. I just don't want to be taking responsibility for other people's desire to live like pigs. I've kept my room and the upstairs bathroom clean and tidy, but there is no way in hell I'm cleaning up after everyone else in the halls/stairs/kitchen-lounge/downstairs bathroom again, after completely blitzing the kitchen at the weekend and it already looking like a tip I don't know why I bothered in the first place.

We didn't have an inventory check done for this contract, so I didn't know if that means we don't have to worry about how we have left stuff as I can't imagine any of the guys helping with the cleaning, and the other girl that lives here has fucked off travelling already even though our contract doesn't end until the end of February so she isn't going to be around to help clean much.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hiya,

It is the responsibility of the landlord to get you to sign an inventory and without your signature on his copy he will find it difficult charging you for any missing items. Things may be different with damaged parts of the property though.

You can read more detail about your rights here:

Assured shorthold tenancies

If you're still not sure, don't forget that our askTheSite service is answered by qualified experts at Shelter.