Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Applying for jobs abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm about to graduate my journalism degree this summer and I've been thinking a lot about working abroad when I graduate. The media market is fearsome in this country and often many places will not take you on unless you have at least one years experience at another paper (which is a bit hard when you're entry-level).

So I've been looking further afield like in the US, Canada and UAE.

My mum is a Canadian citizen and thus I have dual nationality so any work permits needed are not an issue with any jobs in North America.

But I was wondering how easy is it to relocate for a job? Do you get the job and then relocate... or do you relocate and get the job?

Anybody that has any experience in this, please let me know! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    generally, i would have thought you get offered a job and then try and find a house nearby. travelling from nottingham to london (for example) is a little different that across the atlantic tho...

not sure how the interview process would go when youre in a different country, so you may have to go there first, then find a job.

sounds interesting though. go for it!
  • Options
    Thanks! Well, I've applied for a few and I guess it might be easier in N.A to relocate as it's so big that I'd assume most people would be in this position.

:)