Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Test For Colour Blindness?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I go about getting tested please? I think I may have it, but I have no idea if this is anything to do with my other eye problems. (although I think that's more sensitivity to bright lights/colours than anything else)

Comments

• Options
    Generally you'd go the optician and have an eye-test. They do colour blindness as part of that. Well they used to anyway. You'd probably need to mention it.

There's a very basic test here and here, but no substitute for the professionals.
  • Options
    Yeah, they normally do it routinely with your eye test.

In any case, every time I have my eyes tested they always ask me at the start if I've been having any problems, so you could just mention it then.
  • Options
    They do it rountinely in eye tests for young children, or if you've not been to that optician before. Generally it's a lifelong thing rather than something that develops so most adults don't get tested for it.

You get given a book with lots of coloured spots and have to read the numbers off each page, whether this is the same for people who are visually impaired in other ways I don't know.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone
    Yeah, they normally do it routinely with your eye test.

I don't remember havin this done at all when I had mine tested.

I've had a look at the tests and I've just realised how much of a problem it would for me to do them - nearly everyone with the same eye problem as me isn't generally able to read in any colours apart from black and navy.

I'll go to the opticians tomorrow and see what they say.
  • Options
    You're female, aren't you? Colour blindness is a recessive genetic disorder, and in order for you to have it, your father would have to be a sufferer, and your mother a carrier.
  • Options
    You're female, aren't you?

Yes
    Colour blindness is a recessive genetic disorder, and in order for you to have it, your father would have to be a sufferer, and your mother a carrier.

As far as I know, neither of my parents have any problems like this..

I spoke to someone at the opticians today, who just told me to visit my GP.