Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting depressed with no money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im sure its with everyone in the UK but im getting depressed without having any money.

I have been working 40 hours a week and that got me £900, i 1-3 days off and i get £700 (something not right i dont think - will need to double check)

With this month i have £700.

I have Rent to pay at £150
I have Debt to pay (that was ment to been payed a year ago) at £200
Debt from mother as i didnt have any last month at £100

Thats £450 leaving me with £150 for the whole month, then i have to spend a few quid on lunch at work at £60, im wanting to meet my dad/dad family in devon at about £60 plus meals out/days out £50, thats £170.

so now im -£20 overdrawn, what about those days out i want to go to the cinema, pub or needing something urgent its all adding up - in which i would probs have to borrow from my mother in which next month it will go up.

I really want to save up to start learning to drive (then having to pay the car/insurance) and to travel for abit.... with the way im going it wont happen.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Shit innit.

Even worse when you have no income at all!
  • Options
    Have you thought about getting a part time evening and/or weekend job also? It may seem terrible but even working an extra 10 hours a week could give you just a bit more cash to help things become more managable, and its not enough time to take away from personal/socializing.
  • Options
    It is shit, but it's also life. If you don't have the money to go out to the cinema, then you can't go. If you can't afford essentials, then you shouldn't be going off to Devon for meals out, or thinking about learning to drive. As Manda says, if you're not getting enough for that job then look for another one for extra hours.

Also maybe speak to your mum about paying her less. That would generally be considered a less important debt than some others, I think.
  • Options
    i have to spend a few quid on lunch at work at £60

Do you really need to, or would it be cheaper to make your own food?
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    But I know what you mean. Rent is nearly 400 quid, about 200 a month for debts, I travel to Spain 4 times a year to see my mum, I also give money to charity - about 50 a month. Then there's wining and dining - I tend to eat out most of the time and spend about 20 quid a day on that. I'm also builing up my asset's with new gadgets etc.
    Don't give £50/MONTH to charity if you're only just about making ends meet..?! Save that for now, you can give when you're in a much more comfortable position.

Anyhow, met someone yday who was earning £11k/yr and had no problem renting a flat in Central London and living a 'normal' life. Perfectly possible if you cutback on non-essentials like giving to charity, sticking with cheap beer/wine when you go out etc etc.
  • Options
    then i have to spend a few quid on lunch at work at £60

Make a packed lunch and quit whining.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

You don't have that much money, but its all about budgeting and prioritising. If you don't have much money then you need to cut down on your non-essential expenditure. If you want to go to Devon with your dad then you need to work out what's more important- a latte and a sandwich at lunchtime, or seeing your dad in Devon.

If you spend £3 a day on a sandwich and a coffee you will have to work nearly eight weeks to pay for it. You're spending £1100 a year on it. That should be enough to make you get up 10 minutes earlier and make a packed lunch.
  • Options
    Making your own lunch saves soooo much money. Two of my friends always buy stuff and it's so expensive! I save so much by doing it myself, and you also know exactly what's in it. You pay more for a single sandwich than a normal loaf of bread.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Make a packed lunch and quit whining.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

You don't have that much money, but its all about budgeting and prioritising. If you don't have much money then you need to cut down on your non-essential expenditure. If you want to go to Devon with your dad then you need to work out what's more important- a latte and a sandwich at lunchtime, or seeing your dad in Devon.

If you spend £3 a day on a sandwich and a coffee you will have to work nearly eight weeks to pay for it. You're spending £1100 a year on it. That should be enough to make you get up 10 minutes earlier and make a packed lunch.
    Haha. So blunt but so goddamn right. Everyone I know who whinges about not having enough money also wastes it on completely needless stuff.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    My bank card got rejected in ASDA tonight. Talk about embarassing. I didn't realise my money situation was so bad.

I actually have no food in and no money to buy food with. I have two maxed out overdrafts (one being £2k and the other being £250). I have my credit card but thats almost maxed out too. I was going to buy some clothes on Saturday on it but then realised how much I'd spent on my credit card :|

Can't eat until I get paid on Friday :(

lacry, bit of advice, might seem straight forward but its true, the key to getting out of debt is to keep an eye on your money situation, if that means setting up internet or telephone banking and checking your balance everyday then so be it.

i'm currently paying off a rather large overdraft myself and managing to find a couple of hundred quid a month to do so, its hard work for me and for bunnie (she has to do without wine hehe) but it'll be worth it in the end.

i've stopped buying stuff on impulse, all i really spend on is essentials and the occasional night out which i've curbed by not drinking as much or drinking more sensibly.

its gonna take a few months more yet but im sure i'll get there.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    My bank card got rejected in ASDA tonight. Talk about embarassing. I didn't realise my money situation was so bad.

I actually have no food in and no money to buy food with. I have two maxed out overdrafts (one being £2k and the other being £250). I have my credit card but thats almost maxed out too. I was going to buy some clothes on Saturday on it but then realised how much I'd spent on my credit card :|

Can't eat until I get paid on Friday :(

Like what Luckystrike said, keep an eye on your balance, if you are that bad off moneywise then you can't afford to be buying new clothes!

If you even have a few pounds left on credit card then go buy some beans/pasta/bread and live on that for a few days.
  • Options
    I'd be very careful about getting a loan to consolidate your credit card debts. If you do get a consolidation loan then make sure that you cut up and close ALL your credit cards- including the one you have for emergencies. Shop around for the best loan deal- a graduate loan with your existing bank is nearly always not the best buy. Check out moneysavingexpert.com to find out more about best buys. If you can't get the best buy then don't bother with a loan.

The best way of repaying your credit card debts is to budget and repay without borrowing further. With my professional hat on I really would urge you not to take out a consolidation loan and the missus would say the same thing.

In the longer term, the best way of budgeting is to use cash wherever possible and open up separate bank accounts for different items. We have a bank account where our wages go and we pay the bills from that; we then transfer our food and petrol money to a separate account and use that account for day-to-day shopping. We do not have a cash card for our "main" bank account where our wages go.

Work out how much you spend on food each week (a single person shouldn't really be spending more than about £35 per week on food and toiletries) and withdraw it in cash on a Monday morning. When the money's gone it's gone and you can realise just how much money you spend on things.

If you're in debt and on a low wage then it's not going to be easy to repay, but it will be better for you to avoid consolidation if you possibly can. The offer still stands about helping you draw up a realistic budget if you want, it is my job!
  • Options