Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Six Nations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
It's that time again folks: Six Nations.

What do you reckon?

My predictions.

England to do well against everyone except France.

Scotland to beat Ireland and Italy, close against Wales and England (probably lose though) and lose to France.

I reckon France will win it tbh.

Final positions:

France
England
Wales/Italy
Scotland
Ireland
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not convinced Scotland will do as well as that, with you on France winning though.
  • Options
    Should be interesting as all teams have lots of new caps following post world cup retirements. I'd put France as favourites, but don't forget that England did beat them in Paris in the world cup semi final so you never know. With Wales and Ireland, I don't know, depends whether they turn up or not. Obviously, Ireland have had great success in recent 6 nations campaigns, but they were a shambles in the world cup, and rumours of in-fighting and that sort of thing didn't help, so I really don't know what to expect of them. It's a similar story with Wales - if they focus on their usual plan of playing 'pretty' rugby at all costs, they'll be fairly toothless against the likes of England and France I think, but they do have a truly world class coach in Gatland now, so it will be interesting to see how they do and if they play like the're told to play, they could be dark horses. You usually know what to expect with Scotland - fairly solid without being a threat to the big boys that often, but they had a decent world cup campaign, so again, they could go well. And then we come to my boys - England. Obviously, they had a massive turnaround in the world cup against all odds, but in the final, the limitations were still there for all to see. I like some of Ashton's picks this time round, and I expect to see a slightly more expansive game, but at the end of the day, English rugby has always been very pack orientated. Dull, but successful. I don't fully know what to expect though - obviously there have been some big name retirements, and although I like some of his picks, I have to question the inclusion of players like Balshaw, someone who has had chance after chance and returned very little. There is a nice mix of experience and youth in the side now, but it will be interesting to see which England turns up. I'd expect us to beat Wales on Saturday and have our best six nations campaign for a few years, possibly challenging for the title, but who knows. Like I said at the beginning of the post, lots of new caps, and therefore lots of mystery. I can see it being the most wide open tournement for years. I can't wait..!
  • Options

Final positions:

France
    England
    Wales/Italy
    Scotland
    Ireland

Ouch, last.

Still, it makes a change from being tipped to win the Grand Slam only to fail miserably, like last year (on St Paddy's day of all days :grump: ).

I'd be happy with another triple crown for Ireland.
  • Options
    I'd imagine we'll get beat in Italy, might surprise Ireland though.

Hopefully we'll beat the Timothys at Murrayfield like we did in 2006 :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll beat the Timothys at Murrayfield like we did in 2006 :thumb:

Can't see it this time around, but we'll see :D I always enjoy the England v Scotland battles at Murrayfield, that's for sure...
  • Options
    Can't wait to see England get the rogering they deserve :D
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Can't wait to see England get the rogering they deserve :D

Haha, we'll see! And likewise when the Wannabes turn up for the tri-nations..! ;)
  • Options
    I'm not worried about the Tri-Nations, our sheep-loving friends from across the water will choke in the first game as per normal;)
  • Options
    I'm not worried about the Tri-Nations, our sheep-loving friends from across the water will choke in the first game as per normal;)

I must admit I do enjoy it when our black kitted pals choke. Especially when they turn up for every world cup thinking the're going to walk it, and usually end up getting beat by the frogs. And the fact that 50% of their squad is usually made up of pacific islanders makes me hate the arrogant gits even more. But, I still like to see the aussies lose just that little bit more! :D

That said, I'm looking forward to England's new star New Zealand winger coming on! ;)
  • Options
    That said, I'm looking forward to England's new star New Zealand winger coming on! ;)

He just couldn't hack it in proper rugby so he goes and plays the namby-bamby softy southern version ;)

Not really. As a Bratfud lad I :heart: Vainikolo. Even if he is a code traitor.
  • Options
    He just couldn't hack it in proper rugby so he goes and plays the namby-bamby softy southern version ;)

Not really. As a Bratfud lad I :heart: Vainikolo. Even if he is a code traitor.

Lol, I don't know about you, but I would never tell Mr Dallaglio or Mr Correy that the're soft! :D
  • Options
    Can't see it this time around, but we'll see :D I always enjoy the England v Scotland battles at Murrayfield, that's for sure...
    I'm absolutely gutted that I won't be in Scotland to watch this. It would be amazing...

Just saw that Patterson has been dropped to the bench for Sunday's game :(

The man who had 100% scoring record (100%. You hear that Dan Parks??) in the RWC....

In any event, my grudge match is going to be against Italy. Scotland has to atone for their crappy match against them last year, and (let's be honest) a hardly inspiring win against them in the RWC. If that last minute penalty had gone in by Bortolussi, we'd have been going home. I'm hoping the form we showed in the 2nd half against Argentina continues and we get at least two tries down.
  • Options
    I'm absolutely gutted that I won't be in Scotland to watch this. It would be amazing...

Just saw that Patterson has been dropped to the bench for Sunday's game :(

The man who had 100% scoring record (100%. You hear that Dan Parks??) in the RWC....

In any event, my grudge match is going to be against Italy. Scotland has to atone for their crappy match against them last year, and (let's be honest) a hardly inspiring win against them in the RWC. If that last minute penalty had gone in by Bortolussi, we'd have been going home. I'm hoping the form we showed in the 2nd half against Argentina continues and we get at least two tries down.

Aye, seems like madness to have dropped Patterson, even he hasn't played that many games. He should be playing...
  • Options
    How the f**k did we manage that? :hyper:
  • Options
    That second half was horrendous. :crying:
  • Options
    Ireland for the Grand Slam! :thumb:
  • Options
    WTF? Was reading the score line on BBC sports. To come from behind what was it, 19 - 6 (?) to win the thing 19 - 26? Well played Wales, very well played. Definitely buying the online access on Setanta sports tomorrow now to see the Scotland game, although we'll probably be the Celtic nation that'll let the side down and get beatenz... :(
  • Options
    It was a wonderful performance from Wales, but England hit the self-destruct button in a huge way. Some of the tries Wales scored were hilarious. As a league fan, it's always a pleasure to see England rugby union lose, but for them to lose so comically was sheer joy.

Bread of heaven, bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more...
  • Options
    WTF? Was reading the score line on BBC sports. To come from behind what was it, 19 - 6 (?) to win the thing 19 - 26? Well played Wales, very well played. Definitely buying the online access on Setanta sports tomorrow now to see the Scotland game, although we'll probably be the Celtic nation that'll let the side down and get beatez... :(

You missed Jeremy Guscott sneering at Wales on the BBC beforehand, basically saying how amazing England were and how they'd win by twenty points etc.

Caught his reaction at full time in the pub, funnily enough he didn't look quite so pompous then.
  • Options
    You missed Jeremy Guscott sneering at Wales on the BBC beforehand, basically saying how amazing England were and how they'd win by twenty points etc.

Caught his reaction at full time in the pub, funnily enough he didn't look quite so pompous then.
    Lol, wish I had seen that.

I was shouting at the live commentary when someone said 'yes well, England lost that match rather than Wales win it'. GTF. I hate it when commentators try and take away from a nation's legitimate win.
  • Options
    I was shouting at the live commentary when someone said 'yes well, England lost that match rather than Wales win it'. GTF. I hate it when commentators try and take away from a nation's legitimate win.

Why do people always have to assume that there's some sort of ulterior motive behind what the commentator' say? They would say exactly the same thing about a football team that lost because of two misplaced back-passes or own goals. In fact didn't everyone say that when Milan lost to Liverpool in the Champion's League? Doesn't take anything away from Wales to say that their tries came from England's cock ups.
  • Options
    Why do people always have to assume that there's some sort of ulterior motive behind what the commentator' say? They would say exactly the same thing about a football team that lost because of two misplaced back-passes or own goals. In fact didn't everyone say that when Milan lost to Liverpool in the Champion's League? Doesn't take anything away from Wales to say that their tries came from England's cock ups.
    I see what you're saying, but commentators are only human and obviously have an opinion on what happens. One team messing up doesn't automatically give the opposite team a goal or try, the team still has to capitalise on it. And the mistakes one team makes is part of the overall play. Saying a team won only because of another team's cockups takes away from their achievement, that's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    Doesn't take anything away from Wales to say that their tries came from England's cock ups.

From reading what the commentator said, you could take it that England had gone and put the ball down next to the try line and let Wales score twice.

Wales played superbly and had to take the chances that were given, if we're looking for better examples of the opposition gifting it away then look no further than the Aussies in the World Cup when the bloke missed the kick against England.

Had a quick search and found this little gem from the time of the World Cup last year...
    You would never find most of us belittling the acheivement of a nation like Scotland or Ireland, just to make ourselves feel better about the fact that we weren't good enough

Now I know the poster hasn't replied to this thread and he's usually more honest than most in his assesment, but still....:lol:
  • Options
    Oh well, my prediction was right. Hadden has to be asking himself though, why the hell didn't I put Patterson on from the start? Created one of the best chances of the whole game with his little chip kick through the French defence and almost managed to chase it down. Parks can't kick for shit at goal, even though his kicks into touch are fantastic.

Scotland were badly punished through for their lax defence during French penalties. Even after it happened three or four times, there were points where the still weren't paying attention.

And why the hell does that git Jakobson play? Twice I saw him balls attempts up (one at defence and one at attack) cause he can't run worth a fuck...

Oh well, it could have been a lot worse though. Definitely see France winning it this year.
  • Options
    From reading what the commentator said, you could take it that England had gone and put the ball down next to the try line and let Wales score twice.

Wales played superbly and had to take the chances that were given, if we're looking for better examples of the opposition gifting it away then look no further than the Aussies in the World Cup when the bloke missed the kick against England.

Had a quick search and found this little gem from the time of the World Cup last year...

Now I know the poster hasn't replied to this thread and he's usually more honest than most in his assesment, but still....:lol:

Gello! :D

First half I thought we were very good, some of the best flowing rugby I've seen us play in years. Importantly though we didn't take all the chances we had in the first half - if we had, we may well have put the game out of sight. Second half, we choked in a big way - it was like the Andy Robinson era all over again. Was this down to us being nervous or Wales playing better? I suspect a bit of both. One thing I noticed was that first half, we were winning everything at the breakdown, turning over ball etc. Then 2 of our flankers got injured and we ended up with a lock playing at flanker and I think that had a big impact on the game.

All that said, I must say with gritted teeth, very well done to the welsh. You can only beat what's put in front of you and they grabbed their opportunity with both hands. All credit to them for that. On that second half performance, England deserved to get nothing out of the game.

And as for Guscott, I hate him as much as you lot. He's always so bias and over confident like that, and I was actually cringing at half time when he was harping on, because I knew that game wasn't quite over. It summed the bloke up for me in last year six nations when Wilkinson came back and he was like "Ohh thank god, the saviour of English Rugby, bla bla bla" then 3 games later he was saying "I think they should drop him for Flood or Gerarty". The man is an over zealous idiot who always ends up with egg on his face. I always find the BBC coverage a little embarressing too. Like there's always a 1 hour build up to an England game, and at half time analysis and that, all they go on about is England, whereas the other games only seem to get about 5 minutes talk time. I do hate the approach to England rugby sometimes - I can see why it gets up your noses...
  • Options
    Aye, I didn't want to comment on the abject nature of the BBC's rugby coverage because everyone knows about my opinion of the BBC.

ITV/Sky do it so much better- Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes always manage to remain impartial, and they both know so much about the game.

Guscott's always been a tosser. He wasn't even that good as a player, I don't think.

Of course, I think Eddie and Stevo are better, but then I would;)
  • Options
    I honestly think Guscott plays up to being a wanker. He obviously knows he's despised and rather than try and improve his reputation he exacerbates it. Either that, or he really just the most ignorant biased cock you'll ever meet. Is it any wonder people laugh at England's failure, when you have wankers like Guscott about?
  • Options
    Aye, I didn't want to comment on the abject nature of the BBC's rugby coverage because everyone knows about my opinion of the BBC.

ITV/Sky do it so much better- Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes always manage to remain impartial, and they both know so much about the game.

Yeah, some people might disagree, but if I had my way, the BBC would be banned from covering all sports and be made to sell it to sky. Most of the coverage is awful - even when they have the full rights to something, half the time you only get a half hour highlights package, whereas Sky would show the whole thing. Sky's coverage of most sports is on another level. Yes, most of us hate Sky and what they stand for, but you can't deny that they know how to put on a show...
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Is it any wonder people laugh at England's failure, when you have wankers like Guscott about?

Absolutely. Prick's like him and the English press making us look like idiots are just something the genuine fans like myself have to grin and bear...
  • Options
    I fucking give up being a Scotland fan.... :grump: