Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Postal orders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm selling some stuff on ebay and I've had a question about accepting an 'uncrossed postal order' for payment. Atm I only do paypal as I've only just started on ebay. What exactly are postal orders, how do they work and what does 'uncrossed' mean?

Comments

• Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    What exactly are postal orders, how do they work and what does 'uncrossed' mean?

You get them at the post office. You used to have defined amounts 50p £1 £2, £5 etc but now they look like a printed cheque for any amount. When you get one you take it to any post office, with I.D., and they cash it for you. Uncrossed means you can cash it at the post office, crossed means it has to be paid into a bank account.
  • Options
    Basically they are the perfect way for you to get money - they can only be cashed by you, you get the cash instantly and you don't lose a single penny. Better than paypal, much better than cheques.
  • Options
    Uncrossed in relation to cheques (used) to mean that you could sign them over to other people to cash. I say used to because virtually no cheques are like that these days.

So I guess an uncrossed PO is just like sending cash really.

Obviously do not send your item until you have the PO and have converted it into cash.

Also beware of any scams like them sending a PO that's too big and then asking for money back.
  • Options
    ok shall i just go for it then?
  • Options
    I like your status thingy! I only just noticed it!

(Sorry that's not relevant to the Postal Orders thing)

I'd take it. They are rather like cheques. Although when you pay by PO you have to pay a bit more than the value of it, like a PO for £30 costs the sender £33 or there abouts. But to receive them sounds fine.

It may be that the buyer doesn't have a cheque book or debit / credit cards or has had problems using them. They have to buy the PO with cash.