Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Airliner crashes at heathrow

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7194086.stm
BBC News wrote:
A passenger plane has crash-landed short of a runway at Heathrow Airport after losing its rear undercarriage.
All 136 passengers and 16 crew escaped from the British Airways flight BA038 from Beijing. 13 people have been taken to hospital with minor injuries.

An airport worker told the BBC the pilot on the Boeing 777 had said he had lost all power, and had been forced to glide the plane into land.

All BA short-haul flights from Heathrow have been cancelled and others delayed.

BBC News 24 and Sky news are also confirming that the airliner in question missed the traffic at the perimeter fence, by around only 20 feet.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whatever that story says at the moment, they have just said there are 13 people in hospital being treated by minor injuries, they have admitted one person to a ward as a precaution, and expect another 5 people to be taken to hospital in the near future.

But no serious injuries.
  • Options
    A taxi driver said he thought it was going to hit his taxi. He said it was so close he felt like he could put his hand out the window and touch the plane :eek:
  • Options
    Some of those I work with were suspecting that wind shear pushed it down. Could explain how sudden this was and the fact nothing abnormal seems to have been reported to ATC. Will be interesting to hear more about this.

Amazing that nothing worse happened. Great job by the staff! :) Must've been a scary ride from where it touched down to where it stopped.
  • Options
    It's possibly also worth adding to the 'it looked like it only missed the fence by 20 ft' that if you watch a lot of the planes coming into Heathrow, they don't appear to miss the fence by a lot more.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I just wonder why a relatively new plane such as the 777 would suffer a catstrophic loss of power and avionics!

Hotesses making too may cheese toasties ?
  • Options
    It's possibly also worth adding to the 'it looked like it only missed the fence by 20 ft' that if you watch a lot of the planes coming into Heathrow, they don't appear to miss the fence by a lot more.

Well it does seem a scary fact to begin with, then you have a plane that could be out of control!
  • Options
    I don't believe the cab driver's "eyewitness report" for one second, but it reminds you that air travel isn't 100% safe. These things happen.

Well done to the pilot, he deserves a big drink after getting that plane in safely. It could so easily have been a repeat of the air crash at East Midlands Airport that claimed the lives of a fair few people.

Goes to show that the fifth runway should not be built at Heathrow though. It isn't safe. Next time that plane could come down in the middle of Harlow.
  • Options
    Ah nobody died. That means we can do this. :lol:

And it's still a hell of a lot safer than any other form of transport.
  • Options
    Well done pilots and crew. Must of took some skill to land that plane if all the power had failed.

Could have been sooo much worse. :thumb:
  • Options
    Its about a week after a london meet which i attended.

Im pretty sure 7/7 happened a week before the last time i went to a london meet.
  • Options
    I also read that the PM was held up by this, as his plane was due to depart!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Its about a week after a london meet which i attended.

Im pretty sure 7/7 happened a week before the last time i went to a london meet.
    you bring bad luck to london! :p

no, this thing was fucking lucky...i just hope it wasn't human error
  • Options
    I love the way on the news they were like "TERRORISM HAS BEEN RULED OUT"

Did they think Osama had moved the runway or what?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »

:lol: telekineticism i think...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Goes to show that the fifth runway should not be built at Heathrow though. It isn't safe. Next time that plane could come down in the middle of Harlow.

Any particular reason that a new runway would be safer anywhere else? Or were you thinking the middle of nowhere?
  • Options
    Next time that plane could come down in the middle of Harlow.

:chin:
  • Options
    I think the driver of the plane should get a medal as he didnt panic anyone. Bless his heart.

He should get a big fat pay check from BA too.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    Any particular reason that a new runway would be safer anywhere else? Or were you thinking the middle of nowhere?

The flight paths into Heathrow tend to fly right across the centre of London. Building an extra runway will move the perimeter of the airport even closer to houses which are already there.

The middle of nowhere would be much better for another runway. Ideally there'd be no runway at all because air travel is morally bankrupt, but there you go.
  • Options
    Next time that plane could come down in the middle of Harlow.

Is that bad :chin:?
  • Options

I think perhaps they were referring to the alledged failure of electronic systems
  • Options
    Ideally there'd be no runway at all because air travel is morally bankrupt, but there you go.

Presumably all travel except walking is morally bankrupt then?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahaha. Fail.

Nice to know big companies maintain planes well, isn't it?
  • Options
    Is it just me or is the reporting on this really over the top? Constant coverage, "survivors" giving their story.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the reporting on this really over the top? Constant coverage, "survivors" giving their story.

The media seems to love this kind of stuff. They were orgasming for a week when an aircraft made two missed approaches here and ended up diverting to it's alternative airport.

Plus they have a knack at interviewing passengers that most have no clue about flying and sprout all sorts of bullshit. However, the BBC seems to avoid that. Perhaps it changes things when it could actually have been much worse. Or that Icelanders are such primadonnas. hmmm.
  • Options
    they interview a few and only broadcast the ones that fit the story they are trying to push.

they aren't gonna broadcast someone saying "well thousands of planes land safely every day, i was just unlucky. it's not gonna put me off flying". if they are pushing an opposing angle.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Media is crap. Fact.

Sensationalise everything. Fucking hell, a plane had to do an emergency landing OMFGZWTFROFLBBQLOLHAX.

Wow. And loads of people die every day in RTA's. One plane doesn't have any deaths. OMGZZZ PLAEN CRASHES.

Massive Sigh.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    The media seems to love this kind of stuff. They were orgasming for a week when an aircraft made two missed approaches here and ended up diverting to it's alternative airport.

:yes:

One time a plane 'overshot' the runway at Leeds Bradford (read: it landed on the runway, it just stopped a few metres after it should have) and I thought the Look North team were going to explode.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember that one. If ever there was a subdued meet, that was it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember that one. If ever there was a subdued meet, that was it.

Subdued, it was bloody mental!