Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Leshlie Ash gets £5m compensation from NHS

Actress Leslie Ash has won a record £5 million payout - well in excess of the £500,000 Ash was initially reported to have been awarded - after nearly dying from a superbug infection.

Her lawyers said the former Men Behaving Badly star was “delighted” with the huge lump sum agreement.

It does not include £250,000 in legal fees for the cost of the lawsuit.
clicky

Well done Leslie. Your suffering is certainly worth all that. Shame they wouldn't give you £50m, the tight fisted bastards eh? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well it's loss of earnings more than anything else isn't it?
  • Options
    I wasn't aware she was doing anything much when the incident happened. Judging by her lawyers' statement her main complaint was the suffering and discomfort inflicted by the infection.

Not to mention that her explanation for having to go to hospital in the first place is not a very likely story. Perhaps she should be suing her husband...

There is something obscene and deeply wrong about the amount awarded, I'm sorry. Specially when you get people infected by HIV during a transfusion receiving low five-figure sums.
  • Options
    My favourite part is
    She was admitted in April 2004 with a punctured lung and two broken ribs. Ash told doctors she fell out of bed after a frantic sex session with her husband.
    So it kind of was a self inflicted injury.

However people getting secondary infections whilst in hospital is a very serious issue which needs to be addressed, but maybe there should be some kind of cap on how much people can get in compensation. OK so she has lost out on earning but maybe these should be capped at the average national wage - which would mean she would get closer to a £1million - which is still a mighty whack.

Then the extra 4 million could go to be a drop in the ocean towards making hosptial's safer places to be.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Not many people believed that story when it came out, and not many believe it today. I shall say no more about it.
  • Options
    Regardless of why you end up in hospital, you shouldn't be getting further damage from the treatment you recieve there.

As the story says, the biggest component in most compensation cases is for loss of earnings. If you begin to compare it to what insurance companies would pay out in case of accidental injury it starts to look more reasonable.
  • Options
    £5m seems an awful lot of money. She wasn't exactly starring in Hollywood blockbusters for a living.
  • Options
    True.. no amount of repeated Homebase ads can add up to that much.
  • Options
    She'll have claimed it on the basis of potential future earnings, not earnings missed out on during the illness. An actor who struggles to walk is fairly limited in the parts which she can play.
  • Options
    I think it's far too much, or maybe it's the right amount and other victims just get jipped. I don't know. But yeah, I can't look at any compensation cases without a bias, though, my Dad is left with major facial scarring because of the incompetence of some NHS staff. He got £10,000 and that was a fucking battle and a half which obviously also cost him thousands (that he didn't have stashed away from repeat showings of Men Behaving Badly). He'd probably much rather walk with a bit of a limp than be subjected to people staring at him in abject horror/with barely concealed morbid curiosity.

So yeah, rightly or wrongly, it sticks in my craw, I don't give a shit about how limited her choices are now... they've always been pretty limited by her lack of acting skills and - more recently - her hideous trout pout that made her the laughing stock of the "celebrity" world.
  • Options
    Well let's assume that she has 20 years of acting left in her (being generous I suspect), which is based largely on her ability to walk, £5m works out at £250k a year. Is it unreasonable to assume someone of her profile would make that sort of money? I dunno.
  • Options
    Shocking :no:

How can they afford to pay her that when they can't even afford to pay staff?! Now I know why my NHS bursery is so low :crying: bloody Leslie Ash and her MRSA.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    How can they afford to pay her that when they can't even afford to pay staff?!

:confused:

When have NHS staff even not been paid?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    £5m seems an awful lot of money.

It is, regardless of whatever he earning potential is.

I'm alos curious how she managed to prove negligence for infection when either she or a visitor could have brought it in themselves...
  • Options
    From what I remember she lost a lot of work after having those trout lips done. Even if she was healthy I doubt many people would want to use her in TV.

So I think £5 million is way too much.
  • Options
    I'm alos curious how she managed to prove negligence for infection when either she or a visitor could have brought it in themselves...

same here - especially as ~30% of the population carry MSSA anyway and it is not screened for routinely like MRSA - both of which can cause wound infections, joint infections, bone infections and septicaemia - theyre the same bacteria ffs just one is more difficult to treat (though not impossible)

she must have had a very strong case for negligence - lots of evidence, paper wok etc etc to prove the hospital did something wrong - which isnt out the realms of possibility BUT

£5m you must be fucking kidding, loss of earning my arse, shes probably raked in at least that much through all the pointless disinfectant products she has endorsed since and all the crappy magazine articles shes done which have all been disinformative and unhelpful.

i wonder how much of her compensation (and earnings) will be used to help other MSSA sufferrers? :shocking: *grr*
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Shocking :no:

How can they afford to pay her that when they can't even afford to pay staff?! Now I know why my NHS bursery is so low :crying: bloody Leslie Ash and her MRSA.

and THIS is whats so fucking annoying - she didnt even have MRSA
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    My favourite part is

However people getting secondary infections whilst in hospital is a very serious issue which needs to be addressed, but maybe there should be some kind of cap on how much people can get in compensation. OK so she has lost out on earning but maybe these should be capped at the average national wage - which would mean she would get closer to a £1million - which is still a mighty whack.

Then the extra 4 million could go to be a drop in the ocean towards making hosptial's safer places to be.

How much of that should be considered unavoidable risk when going into hospital for treatment though - people are covered in bacteria and there is an unavoidable chance that those bacteria may cause an infection - thats not to say hospitals dont do wrong and arent up to the proper standards but i think it all too often gets forgotten that there is this risk.
  • Options
    It's a lot of money, but maybe that sum will be the wake up call the NHS needs to start doing some more cleaning perhaps?
  • Options
    And get ensure that patients get proper nursing from people who know what their doing.

I got at least 4 wound infections following surgery that were most likely caused by the nurses doing the dressings not being familiar with wound management, and the infections definitely slowed the progress of the healing (bearing in mind I couldn't work until it was healed) by about a week each, because they only got noticed when the dressings were done by someone who knew their stuff.

It's a lot of money, but I hope it makes the point to the NHS trusts loud and clear that attention to detail is vitally important.
  • Options
    I think it's a disgrace. The NHS isn't intended to give people money to live the high life..When you see other cases, where "ordinary" people get far less compensation, it just seems so wrong.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I think it's a disgrace. The NHS isn't intended to give people money to live the high life..When you see other cases, where "ordinary" people get far less compensation, it just seems so wrong.

It is, and in that respect I agree completely with you. Why should someone who already has enough money to live comfortably need that much more? But, it'll be paid for by the insurers who will hopefully tell the NHS to pull their fingers out and do something to prevent more claims.
  • Options
    Not even the best, cleanest and most expensive private hospital in the world can prevent infections.

Hygiene and cleaniness have improved enormously in recent times. I don't know what the circumstances of this particular case might have been but if a ward/room is clean enough and the staff all follow procedure then it is not the hospital fault if somebody catches an infection. Some things simply can't be helped.

Perhaps the NHS should ban all visitors from ever entering a hospital again. I bet that would get rid of most infection cases.
  • Options
    The Trust seems to accept that it was a failure on their part
    We wish to apologise to Mrs Chapman for the shortcomings in her care. We sincerely regret the injuries she sustained as a result of these failings.

"The trust carried out a full review of all relevant procedures in this case to learn from its mistakes and to improve patient care. As a direct result, the trust updated its guidelines and provided nurses with additional training on monitoring infection.

£5m seems a lot, though, especially as I would guess her future earnings were limited. As an actress she was in her earlty 40's and she never struck me as Judi Dench or Helen Mirren who can continue when they're getting on, but more a bit of eye candy who's career more or less ends when they hit 40.
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    and THIS is whats so fucking annoying - she didnt even have MRSA

She did she caught a strain of the MRSA virus, thats why it took her so long to recover.
  • Options
    MRSA is not a virus

she did not have MRSA

she had a Staphylococcus aureus infection.
  • Options
    The words "money-grabbing" come to mind. Leslie Ash is a disgrace. That £5million which she is effectively swiping from the NHS budget could be better spent on paying some doctors and nurses, maybe even keeping some hospitals clean. Instead, it will go on funding the high life for this failed actress.
  • Options
    The hospital/trust/nhs will have insurance to pay compensation claims i would imagine so its not directly taking from that particular hospital

i just cant figure how and why they could justify paying this much for this case - obviously i dont know the ins and outs of it but there are loads of people every year whos lives are effected by infections and they dont get anywhere near this amount of compensation.

loss of earnings doesnt seem to justify it either.
  • Options
    Miss Ash caught the infection after being admitted to hospital in April 2004 with a punctured lung and two broken ribs.

Her husband was arrested on suspicion of assault but released without charge when she claimed the injuries were sustained during an 'energetic' sex session.

wtf
  • Options
    That's £5m that you and I have to fork out. In addition to having to fork out for the treatment that she received because of the "frantic sex session" (be careful, Aladdin, you're heading very close to libel there).

Still, I'm sure her and her fuckwit ex-Leeds husband will be rolling around in all the cash. It makes you sick to the stomach. Kids who are left with permanent brain damage because of mistakes during childbirth get less. She should be fucking ashamed of herself.

Mind, I always thought that her and her dirty cheat of a husband were both two money-grabbing little cunts.
  • Options
    There are lots of people saying that it's not fair because more deserving cases get less.

I'm not defending her if she is a money grabbing so and so, but none of us know what actually happened, for the trust to roll over and pay out that much suggests there may have been an almighty cock up which they would like to play down....

Should she get less, or should others who have been harmed in some more damaging way through negligence get more?