Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pasta sauce...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I make my own? Sounds silly I know :o

Comments

• Options
    You could use like chopped tomatoes, oinons, garlic and herbs, that would make a nice tomato pasta sauce.
    Try the food section on the bbc website they have some simple pasta sauce recipies. Also mydish.co.uk they have some intresting ones too :)
  • Options
    Thank you piecesofme :)
  • Options
    Tin of chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, worcester sauce, as many vegetables as you want (peppers, onions, courgettes, mushrooms etc), crush garlic and whatever spices etc you want. A good dollop of tomato puree never goes a miss, too. :)
  • Options
    I make a tomato-based one using a can of peeled plum tomatos (just chop them up in the tin with a knife - cheaper and less watery than the chopped ones), onions, garlic, peppers/mushrooms/chillies or whatever you have, a bit of red wine, herbs & tomato puree (& maybe some bacon if you're not a veggie).
    Basically just fry the onions and garlic, then the veg then add the rest of the stuff and simmer for a while...
  • Options
    Mix pesto, cheese and creme fraiche or cream cheese. Yumm :yum:
  • Options
    You can make a cheese sauce from making a roux out of flour and butter - a heaped tablespoon of flour and a flat tablespoon of butter - stir in the pan til it makes a paste. Then add milk slowly whilst stirring constantly. Then you can add cheese, seasoning and whatever else you want.

Or I sometimes make a simple cream sauce when I can't be arsed - just double cream, some cheese or pesto, veggies or whatever else you want.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    You can make a cheese sauce from making a roux out of flour and butter - a heaped tablespoon of flour and a flat tablespoon of butter - stir in the pan til it makes a paste. Then add milk slowly whilst stirring constantly. Then you can add cheese, seasoning and whatever else you want.

I do this then leave the cheese out, throw in some mushrooms and onions and it maked quite a nice sauce to have. I usually have it with fish.

Also, like others have said, tinned tomatoes make good sauce. As much as Jamie Oliver gets on my wick, the Sainsbury's ad where he cooks spinach and mixes it with chopped tomatoes is one I do a lot.
  • Options
    You can just add butter and black pepper to hot pasta and then sprinkle cheese on top.
    Simple and tasty