Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eye prescription explination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went and had my first ever eye exam today. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't ask any questions once I got my prescription. I probably won't be able to get back out and look at glasses until Monday and thus ask soembody and now I'm really curious at what in the world this means. I should only assume they would be the same in the US as they are in the UK. So here goes, if anybody can help, huge thanks!

I didn't have much done. I wasn't measured for contacts or dialated or anything. Just looked at a farm house, had some wind blown in my eyes and asked, which looks clearer 1 or 2

Does anybody else feel like the answer you chose was wrong?
Is 1 or 2 better.
Really?

I felt like I was going to fail the eye exam :p

Anywho, attached is the very little that was on the prescription. I just want to know if this means I'm blind as a bat, as thats what it felt like when she made me cover my good eye. I've googled "eye exam explination" to no avail :(

I guess I was expecting it to just say 20/20 or something like that.

Comments

• Options
    lol you are not blind AT ALL!!! i was half expecting a 7.0 prescription at least the way you were going on!

Basically the Sphere is the actual prescription, the cylinder and axis are to correct any astigmatism you have (i just found out what the last two were for so dont kill me if im a little wrong :p).

If you want to find out more then have a look at the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription
  • Options
    Not at all blind.

People can generally drive in the UK with that kind of prescription uncorrected.

The sphere is the main bit, with a negative number meaning short sight. The cylinder relates to astigmatism, mine's -1.75 and straight after I take my glasses off I have problems, but get used to it after a while.

Suspect you come under the category of glasses would be good but life will generally go on ok without them (depending on your job and how you cope when you drive).
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    lol you are not blind AT ALL!!! i was half expecting a 7.0 prescription at least the way you were going on!

Basically the Sphere is the actual prescription, the cylinder and axis are to correct any astigmatism you have (i just found out what the last two were for so dont kill me if im a little wrong :p).

If you want to find out more then have a look at the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription

Indeed, i thought the same! Mine's fairly at -3.5 for my left eye and -4.5 for my right eye, everything is distinctly blurry without contacts/glasses.
  • Options
    I wish that were my prescription!
  • Options
    Oh jeez, I couldn't see any of the letters with my bad eye... I'm quite a wuss then aren't I! How shamefull :p I decided I'm going to get glasses though because when I drive at night all the lights blend together and I can't often read the projector at school. Everything else is fine though so I'll probably just wear them then anyways. Thanks for all the help and the link! :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Oh jeez, I couldn't see any of the letters with my bad eye... I'm quite a wuss then aren't I! How shamefull :p I decided I'm going to get glasses though because when I drive at night all the lights blend together and I can't often read the projector at school. Everything else is fine though so I'll probably just wear them then anyways. Thanks for all the help and the link! :D

I think we might have the same prescription...get yourself some sexy glasses like mine :heart:

I havent got my tongue piercing anymore and I miss it lots :(

I often feel blind when I go to the opticians and when I try and see far away, but I suppose it aint all that bad...and I dont wear mine all the time!
  • Options
    Omg, I wish my prescription was that good. I'm on -10 and it hasn't stopped deteriorating yet!
  • Options

If you want advice about which to get there have been quite a few threads in Style and Appearance about glasses so it might be worth doing a search in there. Good luck with them :)
  • Options
    I'm -2 and -2.5 and I don't wear glasses all the time. I have stuck my hand out for a few lorries thinking they were busses in my time though :(
  • Options
    I have one eye that is -3.5 and one that is -6! I'm quite useless if I dont have my glasses on.
  • Options
    Omg, I wish my prescription was that good. I'm on -10 and it hasn't stopped deteriorating yet!

Ouch...

My left eye is -7.5 and my right eye is -6.5...and hasn't stopped deteriorating either. :S