Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kill It Cook It Eat It

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any hypocrites who couldn't watch this but still eat meat? :p

Did anyone else find the premise of it (the episode I watched, anyway) kinda stupid? How young is too young? Surely it's either immoral to take a life to eat or it isn't, and the age of the animal is nothing to do with it? Last time I checked, the lioness doesn't ask the age of the animals before deciding which one to kill, and ironically, it's usually the youngest that gets picked off in the chase. And because people have this stupid concept that killing a young animal is somehow worse than killing an older animal, they end up slaughtering thousands of animals each year and incinerating them, because they no-one will buy veal and they can't afford to keep them.

Anyway, anyone watch this episode and have their mind changed about anything? I watched it without having any tea, and I'm now planning a nice steak in red wine sauce. :yum:

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I watched it along with the bullshit with Jamie Oliver, and I'm not really all that bothered. We've killed animals for centuries, its hardly anything new.

I'm not likely to preach and turn into a vegan therefore!
  • Options
    Haven't watched it but the idea of actually killing the cow you're going to eat intrigues me. I would have no quams dong it because I know I've helped in the process from how it gets from the field and onto my plate.
  • Options
    I don't think it's hypocritical to not want to kill an animal but still want to eat it; I wouldn't like to sit at a sewing machine all day but I still like to wear clothes.
  • Options
    I find it stupid and hypocritical all the people who eat meat but don't want it looking like anything the animal it came from. E.g. i know several people who won't eat fish if it has the head still attached.

Katralla - The choice is not whether you want to, but whether you could do it if need be. As i'm sure you'd quite willingly sit down at the sewing machine if the alternative was to walk around starkers :p
  • Options
    Well...
  • Options
    i've said for many years that if need be i could kill my own meat, i think its only right if you are gonna eat it you'd be able to do the deed if need be.
  • Options
    I don't think I could kill my own animal, not because it's cute or whatever, but because I know I wouldn't be able to cope with all the blood. Plus I wouldn't know which bits I could eat and which bits I couldn't, aside from the obvious. But I wouldn't want to waste anything, see, if I'd killed it.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I don't think I could kill my own animal, not because it's cute or whatever, but because I know I wouldn't be able to cope with all the blood. Plus I wouldn't know which bits I could eat and which bits I couldn't, aside from the obvious. But I wouldn't want to waste anything, see, if I'd killed it.

It's not like you're eating Fugu or some other poisonous fish, you can eat pretty much anything from a cow, chicken, lamb etc etc.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't think it's hypocritical to not want to kill an animal but still want to eat it; I wouldn't like to sit at a sewing machine all day but I still like to wear clothes.

But I meant the people who can't even watch their lunch being killed by someone else, and yet are still willing to eat it. Seems a bit wierd to me. I could kill something to eat, but that doesn't mean that I would find it pleasant, or enjoy scraping out the guts or anything (though I have prepared the meal for the cheetahs at the zoo during work experience, so I've chopped up dead animals before - baby chicks in fact, still with the yellow fluff on). But then I don't find plenty of things pleasent, but I'd do them if I needed to.
  • Options
    i'm not sure i could kill something to eat it either, unless there was no choice of kill or die. Even then i am not sure.
    I don't like seeing things suffer. Yes i eat meat, so because i dont like to look then i shouldnt eat it? Yeah ok:rolleyes: