Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Garlic and nightmares

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wasn't sure where to put this.
Can eating garlic give you nightmares? It's very rare I have them but I had one last night and I had quite a bit of garlic dip last night.

Comments

• Options
    i wouldn't think your garlic dip has that much garlic in it tbh.
    i think its probably one of those old wives tales because i'm sure i've heard of it before but can't think of anything to back it up... :chin:
  • Options
    I've never heard that garlic can....cheese close to bed time is meant to though.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    I've never heard that garlic can....cheese close to bed time is meant to though.

yep. heard that one as well. :)
  • Options
    Agreed, although I have cheese near bed time some times and it never gives me nightmares. Not ones i can remember anyway
  • Options
    Never heard of garlic giving you nightmares.

I eat garlic most days and I think I've only had about 3 nightmares in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Specious reasoning ITT.
  • Options
    I've had cheese late at night many times and only once has it given me a nightmare.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you've had it many times but only once had a nightmare, how do you know it was the cheese? Did something like this happen? :p
    leacheese.jpg
  • Options
    I once ate lots of cheese just before i went to bed in the hope of getting a nightmare. i was severly dissappointed... and bloated.:yuck:

Lea, just for you ill experiment with garlic. :thumb:

:chin: ...better brush my teeth TWICE before i head on out to bed that night though
  • Options
    Research concludes...

So I stumbled upon this purely by accident. Over the past year or so, I've been eating more garlic to help keep my blood pressure down. Well, after a while you can only eat so much garlic before it hurts your stomach lining so I started taking garlic supplements instead. Well, I started taking these garlic supplements right before bed and that's when the nightmares began. I didn't realize this until a few days ago that this was the case, but I've been running "controlled test" and I only have nightmares when I take garlic pills right before sleep.

Somehow, the garlic that I eat throughout the course of the day is diluted or process by bedtime, but the supplement is released throughout the night creating nightmares. Sounds weird, but I've been trying it and this is the conclusion I've come to.

Garlic does induce nightmares, but only if eaten right before or pretty close to bedtime.