Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sore throat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My throat has been killing me for the last couple of days and today its been hurting non stop, i've tried taking honey and glycerin cough medicine, but to no avail, so have anyone got any remedies i could give a try?

I dont even know where this has come from, i kinda wonder why i've got a sore throat, as im not getting the cold (touch wood) so im a bit lost for ideas, but right now i just want it to stop hurting

Comments

• Options
    Try gargling dissolvable paracetamol. I remember when I used to get tonsitlitis alot the Dr told me to do this.
  • Options
    dont have any painkillers in the house at all :(

haha sorry any other suggestion?
  • Options
    I hear gargling salt and water helps sore throats.
  • Options
    I hear gargling salt and water helps sore throats.
    :yes: anything that will at as an antiseptic would help
    (that you can put in your mouth and swallow)
  • Options
    I'll give the salt and honey a try (not at the same time though)

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Do you have any garlic? garlic had antibacterial properties and may help if its a bacterial problem. You could mix some with honey but it wont taste too nice and no-one will want to get too close to you after!

have a look down your throat to where your tonsils are at the sides - if they look like theyre coated with white stuff you may need to be seen by the docs :(
  • Options
    Someone from work told me, scotch, lemonade, honey and lemon.

My throat felt much better the next day and it got me tipsy. Winner all round really :D
  • Options
    Vickes make a spray you cn spray directly into your throat and it numbs the area.

also TCP or honey and apple cider vinegar
  • Options
    throats still sore today, having difficulty swallowing, shooting pains in my ears, and i think my glands might be swollen.

Tried to get a doctors appointment but its not until the 22nd :(

Hopefully this'll go soon though

Thanks for the suggestions, been gargling with salt though and that makes it hurt less
  • Options
    hot blackcurrant cordial always works for me. Gargle with aspirin if you can stand the taste :yuck:
  • Options
    My throat has been killing me for the last couple of days and today its been hurting non stop, i've tried taking honey and glycerin cough medicine, but to no avail, so have anyone got any remedies i could give a try?

I dont even know where this has come from, i kinda wonder why i've got a sore throat, as im not getting the cold (touch wood) so im a bit lost for ideas, but right now i just want it to stop hurting
    Gargle salt-water 2 to 3 times a day. Really works.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Someone from work told me, scotch, lemonade, honey and lemon.

My throat felt much better the next day and it got me tipsy. Winner all round really :D

Change the scotch to whiskey and you've got yourself a hot toddie. The one thing that can make you look foward to a nice winters sick :yum:

But I agree with the salt water. Also, how is your nose and sinuses? My throat often gets very sore because I have a terrible honker. A dose of a decongestant before bed and when its starts acting up works. :)

Oh, missed your last post, so nevermind ;)
  • Options
    throats still sore today, having difficulty swallowing, shooting pains in my ears, and i think my glands might be swollen.

Tried to get a doctors appointment as my aunt whose a nurse thinks it sounds like tonsilitis, but its not until the 22nd :(

Hopefully this'll go soon though

Thanks for the suggestions, been gargling with salt though and that makes it hurt less

If you are still suffering i suggest you phone NHS direct. They can arrange an appoinment with an out of hours GP over the weekend, and they can give you antibiotics if it is tonsilitis :thumb:
  • Options
    If you are still suffering i suggest you phone NHS direct. They can arrange an appoinment with an out of hours GP over the weekend, and they can give you antibiotics if it is tonsilitis :thumb:

:yes:
  • Options
    eating ice cream works for me when i ave tonsillitus
  • Options
    i am having the same problem - am a bit worried as i have never been this ill before, and the medicine i was given in the pharmacy has done nothing at all. i have been eating chicken soup, oranges and drinking tea and fruit juice yet it is so painful to swallow. also have a bad headache and now and then a very bad running nose (that i can attribute to a cold). i am reluctant to go to the doctor because i do not live in the uk (hence i cant buy that vicks stuff) and am not sure of the exact language i'd need. also there are issues with insurance etc...

please if anyone has any more tips (i dont have any salt) i would be so grateful as i really dont want to miss any work.
  • Options
    phoenix - is it just your throat that hurts or do you have other symptoms? how long have you been ill - as a rule in the uk GPs often wont give you any medication unless youve been ill for over a week or/and have really really bad symptoms

girl_gunner LOL eating ice cream will deffo make you feel better in the short term but its not going to fix a sore throat :yum:
  • Options
    Sounds exactly like my new year. Started off with a sore throat so had to ring Primary Care to see an emergency doctor. Seems like a lot of people are getting Tonsillitis.

Get well soon!
  • Options
    I get sore throats quite frequently. Drinking warm drinks (I like green tea, herbal tea) works best for me. It is very soothing and helps to keep the throat hydrated. Gargling is also very beneficial for sore throats, as it soothes the throat and wash out the infection.
    Hope this helps.