Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

London Marathon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who out there has done the London Marathon?

I am pretty unfit but would like to take part maybe next year, how much training is needed to complete it do you think?

Obviously i dont want to walk the whole thing!! :)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Good Luck.
    I've never done it but a number of my friends have and they are not super fit. Yes they did have to change their lifestyle toachieve it but it's atainable if you do the work no matter how unfit you are now.
    I'd recomend listening to 80's hair bands to pump yourself up and believing in yourself. :D
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey DrZork101,

Training for a marathon can be a really tough test of the body and mind. Like James Ford said, you'll have to change a few aspects of your lifestyle to achieve your goals.

First of all you'll need to find out exactly how fit you are and how much training you're going to need to do. Experts reckon you need to be able to jog for 20 minutes at least three times a week to cope with the demands of the training.

Once you've figured out how fit you are, draw up a training plan. Try and aim to do around three or four runs a week. Three medium runs (40 minutes) and a long one at the weekend (hour and a half).

I would recommend starting mild training at least six months before the marathon and work your way up. Aim to do one two-to-three hour run once a week the last month before the race.

Remember to rest your body when you're not training and maintain a healthy diet. Eat lots of foods like pasta and fish.

I've done three half marathons in the past three years and found them very demanding. Perhaps think about having a go at doing a half marathon before you jump into the deep end to see how you cope.

There are loads of training guides on the net and I'd advise reading them before you start your training.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    haven't done it yet but i would like to.
    i have trained for it before but succumbed to an injured leg :(
    actually runners world does a good training schedule if your interested.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/
  • Options
    I have done a number of great north runs (half marathons) and would one day like to do a full marathon, though the thought scares me.
  • Options
    Thanks for the helpful replies!!

I guess dedication is key however, actually having organisation within my training is gonna be a big help i feel.