Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

your political hopes for 2008

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what are you political hopes for 2008 then?
world peace doesn't count :p

myn:
hopefully there will be an end to carnage in iraq/afganistan.
that there will be more honesty and less political correctness and hype of insignificant stories from the media.
and that the government will have less say in the NHS... although heres hoping the new constitution works.

Comments

• Options
    Well i thought about running for one of these new unitary councillor positions in durham county, quite good pay i hear.
  • Options
    For that cunt Maggie Thatcher to finally croak.
  • Options
    First and foremost for the Republican Party to suffer the biggest defeat in American history. I don't care who wins so long as it's a Democrat. But the Republicans must lose both houses and be humiliated, and the nauseating, ultra right wing, religious fundamentalist, imperialistic, polluting politics of the US government for the last eight years be banished forever. The wellbeing of the entire planet is at stake.

As for home politics, a wild one this, but here's hoping for the Lib Dems to gain some real ground and for Cameron to be exposed for what he is. Netiher Labour nor the Tories inspire me great hope or confidence.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    First and foremost for the Republican Party to suffer the biggest defeat in American history ... As for home politics, a wild one this, but here's hoping for the Lib Dems to gain some real ground

Seems good to me too ... :yes:
  • Options
    i hope civil liberties get more of a say in on things.... :| pretty illiberal times for those into their social libertarianism
  • Options
    For John Edwards to win the Democratic nomination and the presidency.
  • Options
    And for the opposition to be a Republican who the Christian fundamentalists really hate, to further marginalise them from politics.
  • Options
    a government that people actually have faith in and for george bush to be booted
  • Options
    For no more Bushes to get into power. I heard George Bush make some comment about how his brother should be the next president. Yes! Jed (is it Jed?) can be the next president & America can blow up Iraq AGAIN! What a great idea :yeees:

In the UK, I want someone to sort out the education system and find a way of balancing life skills (like cooking) and academic subjects, because I think kids need to learn both.

For people to develop more trust (well, any trust would be a good start) in their governments in both America & UK, but first we need a reason for that trust & thats down to the politicians.

So basically the political change that I want for 2008 is a complete re-vamp of the political systems and politicians in the US & UK. Thats all! :D
  • Options
    i'd settle for israel and iran leaving each other alone, india and pakistan not nuking each other, and gordon brown getting booted out of no10. wishful thinking?
  • Options
    What do I want to see happen in politics in 2008? Well...

- Gordon Brown's removal as PM. This man is a busted flush.
    - More Liberal Democrat MPs involved in gay sex scandals.
    - More Liberal Democrat MPs having a go at being interim leaders.
    - A massive reduction in the size of government.
    - A huge reduction in how much personal info the government keeps on us.
    - The abolition of the ID cards scheme.
    - The abolition of "green taxes" - we know they're a gimmick.
    - The sale of Northern Rock and taxpayers money returned asap.
    - The death of Father Tony Blair, as we must now call the sanctimonious little shit.

More soon...
  • Options
    Oh i would like this mess in pakistan and more recently kenya sorted out
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    World Revoltion.

I can am high, can't I?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    World Revoltion.
    Starting from Braintree? Are you sure you've thought this one through properly?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I am high, aren't I?

Yes. Yes you are.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Starting from Braintree? Are you sure you've thought this one through properly?

;( I was proposing to remove Braintree entirley, actually.
    Yes. Yes you are.

Actually, not true!
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    what are you political hopes for 2008 then?
    world peace doesn't count :p

myn:
    hopefully there will be an end to carnage in iraq/afganistan.
    that there will be more honesty and less political correctness and hype of insignificant stories from the media.
    and that the government will have less say in the NHS... although heres hoping the new constitution works.

The end of the coercive state.
  • Options
    for george bush to be booted

Hardly a hope, unless Dubya changes the Constitution or something.
  • Options
    kiddranc wrote: »
    Hardly a hope, unless Dubya changes the Constitution or something.

Erm .. he can't stand again anyway. That IS the constitution. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Erm .. he can't stand again anyway. That IS the constitution. :rolleyes:
    If he wanted The Bush Dynasty (there's a TV show in that, I reckon) to continue, he should have got one of his daughters to stand for the presidency. Sure, they're both younger than 35, the age you have to be to stand for the job, but since when are little rules like that going to bother a man who probably lost the 2000 election?
  • Options
    I think even his daughters would prefer not to be tarnished with his legacy. :impissed:
  • Options
    could always use the patriot act and declare an emergency couldn't he

I'm not really hoping for anything with regards to politics, more pressing matters closer to home such as getting through University.
  • Options
    That the Democrats win - but I don't think they've a fucking hope I'm afraid - I think Mike Huckabee is going to whitewash it and mainly because the Democrats still look as disorganised and ineffectual as they have since Clinton. :(
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    That the Democrats win - but I don't think they've a fucking hope I'm afraid - I think Mike Huckabee is going to whitewash it and mainly because the Democrats still look as disorganised and ineffectual as they have since Clinton. :(

Its been since before Clinton - he was a one off, he brought virtually all his own people into the campaign and the whitehouse and didnt actually have very good links with the traditional Democratic Party.

To be quite blunt about it the Democrats haven't really had a proper leader since JFK.
  • Options
    If memory serves, every Republican candidate (with the possible exception of McCain) is a Bible-quoting, evolution-denying religious fruitcake.

A very scary fucking prospect indeed...
  • Options
    If memory serves, every Republican candidate (with the possible exception of McCain) is a Bible-quoting, evolution-denying religious fruitcake.

Guilliani? And he's probably the favourite (though he's fallen down recently)
  • Options

Giuliani.

It's funny, up until 1964 the Bible bashing Southern States always voted for the Democrats because they blamed the Republican Lincoln on the downfall of the Confederacy. Would be interesting to know how and why that all changed. The Democrats aren't as liberal and free thinking as many think.
  • Options

And to think we very nearly got McCain instead of Bush...how things would have been different, tragic really when you think about it.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Giuliani.

It's funny, up until 1964 the Bible bashing Southern States always voted for the Democrats because they blamed the Republican Lincoln on the downfall of the Confederacy. Would be interesting to know how and why that all changed. The Democrats aren't as liberal and free thinking as many think.

Indeed. It's very easy to assume that all Democrats are big government liberals and all Republicans anti-welfare, pro-life, religious conservatives. The truth is that both parties are very decentralised and that there is very limited national uniformity... It's quite plausible that a Californian Republican will be far more liberal than a Democrat from Mississippi. Example - whatever you think of him, Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican is attempting to introduce a health care plan that will provide coverage for all California residents. And whilst many Southern Democrats will agree with Bush's line on abortion and gay marriage - in the North East and West Coast Republicans probably aren't so bothered, the state parties there being socially liberal...

The change from Democrats to Republicans in the South, in presidential elections at least (the Democrats are still big at local level in parts of the South) was because the Democrats base changed. Northern industrial cities and the East Coast became the Democrats stronghold, the Democrats could win without the South - so Johnson went ahead with the civil rights reforms that the South would hate and still managed to win an election in 1964.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    And to think we very nearly got McCain instead of Bush...how things would have been different, tragic really when you think about it.

Not really... I can't think of much that would be different Republican or democrat in charge - 9/11 would still have happened and it pretty much all flows from their. Perhaps a bit more velvet round the iron fist, but not much.