Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Seven-year-old girl dies in quad bike crash

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    One of the reports I read said the woman came around a narrow bend maneuvered around the father's car but wasn't expecting two mini quad bikes to be hidden behind that car

Well she should have been.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The only fact we have so far is that the vehicle that hit the litle girl was being driven by a drunk.

Oh, is that a fact now?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If me aunty had bollocks she'd be me uncle.

Relevant? Hardly.
    Well chances are that someone who was old enough and qualified enough to operate such vehicle would have not had that accident at all. So yes, it is very relevant.

For starters, someone who is old enough and qualified enough would not have needed to test drive for the first time a low vehicle at low speeds on a public road.

She must have been travelling at a fair whack to not be able to avoid the procession. And she was drunk.
    We still don't know the circumstances of the accident. Allowing a small child to operate such vehicle on a public road is every bit as reckless and dangerous as driving over the drink limit. In many cases, far more reckless and dangerous in fact.
  • Options
    According to the news story it was a head on collision anyway, rather then being rammed from behind: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7161165.stm

Even if the driver is as sober as a holy man in the North Pole, how exactly do you expect anyone to spot a quad bike behind a Range Rover (the vehicle the father of the child himself was driving)?
  • Options
    If you believe the woman should be arrested pending enquiries purely on the basis that she did something illegal (drink driving) then surely logically you must also accept that the parents should also be arrested for doing something illegal too (allowing their child to drive an vehicle illegally on a public road)? Take the accident out of the equation, and do you think that if the police came across a 7 year old driving a quad on the road under parental supervision, they would do nothing? Or would they punish the parents?
  • Options
    Too many variables in this case based on the information so far - think they should just drop the case against them all and let their conscious do the rest.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Even if the driver is as sober as a holy man in the North Pole, how exactly do you expect anyone to spot a quad bike behind a Range Rover (the vehicle the father of the child himself was driving)?

The Range Rover was being driven by the suspected drunk I thought?

When it comes down to it, it could have just have easilly been a pushbike the girl was riding and she'd still be dead.

If it turns out that the driver was pissed then the responsibilty has to lie with her. You can argue all sorts of points but what you can't deny is that alcohol effect your judgement and slows down your reactions.

I live in the country, in a place where animals exist on the road day and night and cyclists are very common. You have to be prepared and drive within the limits of what you can see.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Too many variables in this case based on the information so far - think they should just drop the case against them all and let their conscious do the rest.

Not if the woman was drunk surely?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    poor girl.
    Stupid to be allowed to ride one of those quad bikes at that age. Theyre totally unsuitable for children, especially a bloody seven year old ffs and on a public road - an accident waiting to happen.
    Of course its the drunk drivers fault mainly but the parents have to take some blame for this cos its a fucking stupid thing to let a seven year old do, or buy for them in the first place.
  • Options
    If you believe the woman should be arrested pending enquiries purely on the basis that she did something illegal (drink driving) then surely logically you must also accept that the parents should also be arrested for doing something illegal too/QUOTE]

There's a subtle difference.
    You can't dispute the fact that alcohol affects you driving ability. The fact that this girl was riding a quad may not have any bearing on the accident i.e she would have still been killed if she were on a pushbike.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Of course its the drunk drivers fault mainly but the parents have to take some blame for this cos its a fucking stupid thing to let a seven year old do, or buy for them in the first place.

I say its the parents fault. The driver may have been over the limit but she may not have been 'drunk' as such. Apart from the child being so young, and illegally allowed to drive on the road, it looks more like a parental slip up. Harsh - but true.
  • Options
    Theyre totally unsuitable for children, especially a bloody seven year old ffs and on a public road - an accident waiting to happen.

Quad bikes can be very dangerous, but many that you get for children have some decent saftey measures, like kill chords.
    I used to ride a quad at that age on the forest and they can be quite safe if your taught how to use them properly.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    The Range Rover was being driven by the suspected drunk I thought?
    The father of the girl was also driving a Range Rover. The two quad bikes were tailing him, which would have made spotting them all but impossible for any oncoming traffic.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I say its the parents fault. The driver may have been over the limit but she may not have been 'drunk' as such. Apart from the child being so young, and illegally allowed to drive on the road, it looks more like a parental slip up. Harsh - but true.

Woudl you say the same if it had been a pushbike she was riding?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Erm, sorry to bring this up, but can someone tell me where it says she was drunk? I can't find it in any of the articles, I just assumed it was right, because everyone's saying so.
  • Options
    There's a subtle difference.
    You can't dispute the fact that alcohol affects you driving ability. The fact that this girl was riding a quad may not have any bearing on the accident i.e she would have still been killed if she were on a pushbike.
    You can also say that the fact that the driver might have been over the lime might have not had any bearing on the accident either. Some accidents are simply unavoidable.
  • Options
    if my seven year old was riding a pushbike on a country road while i was in the car in front and they got hit, then id blame myself too. You just cant go round thinking that roads are safe. Country roads are the worst as people drive like lunatics on them. Of course they shouldnt, but it ALWAYS happens.
    this is a seven year old ffs. My boy is nearly seven. I cant IMAGINE someone thinking it was ok to let a kid his age ride one of those things, or even a pushbike on a road at that age tbh.
    People should be able to skip down the road with their eyes closed too, because drivers should always be in control of their cars, but they damn well arent, and if you dont take care, youll be dead
  • Options
    The woman was arrested as they thought she was drunk however all tests proved to be negative so she has been released. As for the parents they may now be facing charges.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    The woman was arrested as they thought she was drunk however all tests proved to be negative so she has been released. As for the parents they may now be facing charges.
    Is that true? You've got any links for that?

If true, I look forward to the comments of those who argued only a drunk driver could have caused such accident and how there was nothing wrong with the child being on the road in the first place.
  • Options
    Is that true? You've got any links for that?

If true, I look forward to the comments of those who argued only a drunk driver could have caused such accident and how there was nothing wrong with the child being on the road in the first place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=504711&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

The article clearly states:

The parents of a seven-year-old girl killed in a quad bike crash on a country road may face criminal charges.

The driver, a 28-year-old woman, stopped but went home believing Elizabeth had sustained only cuts and bruises. Later tests on her for drink and drugs proved negative.
  • Options
    Thanks for that.

So what is it going to be next? The driver must clearly have been at fault even if she was not drunk...
  • Options
    Thanks for that.

So what is it going to be next? The driver must clearly have been at fault even if she was not drunk...

The article does say that the little girl lost control and drove into the path of the Land Rover, if that was the case then surely the woman can't be to blame, it was just a tragic accident.

It's probably just going to be the case of whether or not the parents should be charged. I think losing their daughter is enough of a punishment already though.
  • Options
    The article does say that the little girl lost control and drove into the path of the Land Rover.

Hmm, little girl loses control of a quad bike and careers into the path of an oncoming vehicle. Something tells me that the fact that it was an unsuitable and illegal vehicle was a factor then.
  • Options
    The article does say that the little girl lost control and drove into the path of the Land Rover, if that was the case then surely the woman can't be to blame, it was just a tragic accident.

It's probably just going to be the case of whether or not the parents should be charged. I think losing their daughter is enough of a punishment already though.
    You might have a point. I would give them a suspended sentence but no actual punishment. But I think it is important the the courts recognise it was wrong and illegal for the kid to be allowed on the road like that, if only because it might make some other parents think twice before allowing their children on a public road on similar conditions.
  • Options
    If you live out in the country it's not all that unusual for kids to have a go in their parents cars or drive on the public highways as it were on mopeds or mini motos or something like that. If she was in town then yes it is grossly irresponsible but it was a country lane that didn't have much traffic, her father was keeping an eye on her, I think punishing the parents would just be adding insult to injury.

Yes, it's a tragic accident but come on guys - we can't wrap kids up in bubblewrap. Kids get hit on the roads every week, and from what I can see being on the quad was not a factor in her being killed.

Also, the only reason I hypothesised that the lady may be DUI was because she was arrested / charged or something. I never said she was.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If you live out in the country it's not all that unusual for kids to have a go in their parents cars or drive on the public highways as it were on mopeds or mini motos or something like that. If she was in town then yes it is grossly irresponsible but it was a country lane that didn't have much traffic, her father was keeping an eye on her, I think punishing the parents would just be adding insult to injury.
    A 7 year old on a quad? I don't believe that for a second. I drive on country roads a lot, and I've never seen a kid on the road on anything motorised. I went on quads as a kid, but on private property with a trained instructor. There are so many places to do it in the country, so to use a public road is just insane to me.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Yes, it's a tragic accident but come on guys - we can't wrap kids up in bubblewrap. Kids get hit on the roads every week, and from what I can see being on the quad was not a factor in her being killed.
    Not even the bit about a kid on a vehicle she was not used to driving into the path of an oncoming car? If that's true, then surely the vehicle in question and her inexperience using it are direct factors in her death?
  • Options
    Woudl you say the same if it had been a pushbike she was riding?

Is a pushbike illegal on a road? :confused:
  • Options
    A 7 year old on a quad? I don't believe that for a second. I drive on country roads a lot, and I've never seen a kid on the road on anything motorised. I went on quads as a kid, but on private property with a trained instructor. There are so many places to do it in the country, so to use a public road is just insane to me.

Not all roads, no. But some certainly. I think her father probably made a judgement on which roads were safe or not. None of us know the particular road so it's hard for us to say yes or no. But definately a fair few kids play about on 'public roads' and I know I have. This doens't mean going up to town or whatnot, but round where I've lived.
    Not even the bit about a kid on a vehicle she was not used to driving into the path of an oncoming car? If that's true, then surely the vehicle in question and her inexperience using it are direct factors in her death?

It's easy to make assumptions but there is every chance that it had no consequence she was on a quad, and it was simply 'a tragic accident' as the police have described it.

When something goes wrong, everyone always wants someone to blame. It's going to get to the point where if a kid falls over in the street 'WHERE WERE THE PARENTS?!?!' will be cried from all corners (of the internet).
  • Options
    its hardly the fucking same. She was allowed on a 100cc quadbike on a public road. Its illegal and its dangerous, and it was a tiny child. She lost control. Its BOUND to happen. The parents are at least partly to blame. Now I understand they are suffering greatly. Id be absolutely devastated of course, but if anything like that happened to most peoples children, it wouldnt be because theyd been ALLOWED to do something so stupid by parents who were supposed to keep them safe. Totally totally innapropriate thing for a seven year old, but now their child has lost their life.
    yes theyre paying for it but the child is whos paid the highest price, and i think saying "well theyve lost their child, thats punishment enough" implies that the only tragedy here is the fact a parent has lost a child, when the child is the one thats lost their life through their parents utter stupidity.
    You wouldnt buy a seven year old a gun and then be surprised when it shoots itself, so why buy it a 40mph vehicle, let it ride it on the road and then blame someone else when the child loses control and gets hit.
  • Options
    Again, I feel sorry for the driver her, imagine how shit she must feel to have been driving the car that killed.