Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

PC gone mad?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story

I know we all love a good 'PC gone mad' story, so we can bitch and moan about the insanity of it all, but after reading this, I do wonder how much of it is actually true.

I work for a greeting card manufacturer. In fact, I work for the one who designed the card pictured in that article, and we laughed our heads off when we read this. In the last 6 months I have read the word Christmas so often it doesn't even look like a word anymore. Somewhere around 99.5% of our Christmas range includes the word 'Christmas'. Yes, we do make cards with 'Season's Greetings' on, but for a very good reason - because people ask for them (usually sending from businesses and not wanting too personal a message). The entire article is utter nonsense.

Which leads me to wonder how much of the whole PC brigade issue is entirely fabricated purely to get people's backs up. Particularly Radio 1, who would have us believe that one particular word was so potentially offensive that they should edit it out of a song that has been played without complaint for 20 years, but were quite happy to repeat it half hourly on their news bulletins.

Is it PC gone mad, or is it us gone gullible?

Comments

• Options
    I think most people just look at the picture anyway
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    agree with him tbh.

Which part do you agree with?
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    all of it, though not going to bring it up for fear of being labelled a "religious nutjob" on here.

It's a Christian celebration in a Christian country so I don't see the need to sensor

My point is that none of it IS censored. He is making an issue where there is none. And it's obviously having the desired effect, on you at least.

There are fewer overtly religious cards at Christmas than there used to be, that's true, but that's not anything to do with offending anyone, it's because people don't buy them.
  • Options
    I think you'll find no one from other faiths really cares - everyone just wants a day off work. :)

I think the Queen's Birthday should be an extra holiday.

They get a holiday in Australia and New Zealand - why don't we get a day off work as well?

http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/eventsfestivals/a/queensbirthday.htm
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Haven't 'season greetings' cards been around for years though? I can only assume he has been living in a sealed biscuit tin to only notice it now.

:yes:

Goes at least as far back as Victorian England.
  • Options
    You have to laugh.

Straw:
    "What we celebrate on December 25 is not the season, it is Christ's birth.

Words have meaning and there's a very good word for this in one language - Christmas."

'We' celebrated the season long before the word 'Christmas' was coined and applied to a date which probably doesn't match up to the alleged birth of Jesus, so if if anyone wants to get sniffy...

Straw has become something of a joke, now.
  • Options
    Jack Straw seems to have no issues upsetting minority groups if they happen to cover their face. :rolleyes:

Christmas is a Christian celebration (well, with Pagan roots but these days, Christian) and shouldn't really be celebrated by non-Christians (including atheists) anyway. It's a joke... I wish I didn't have to, it pisses me off. :yeees:

I don't think anybody who isn't a practising Christian should get the day off or celebrate it. Maybe we should have another day though.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Christmas is a Christian celebration (well, with Pagan roots but these days, Christian) and shouldn't really be celebrated by non-Christians (including atheists) anyway.
    But it is, if only for the sake of the kids. it's 'Xmas' this and 'Xmas' that in our house, we just aren't fussy about the terminology. 'Til someone starts some rot about 'Christmas Under Threat'...
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    But it is, if only for the sake of the kids. it's 'Xmas' this and 'Xmas' that in our house, we just aren't fussy about the terminology. 'Til someone starts some rot about 'Christmas Under Threat'...
    Yeah but it's still a CHRISTIAN celebration.

And adults do celebrate it, by getting ratarsed (which is contrary to a religion which says your body is your temple).
  • Options
    Christmas is not being banned or banished.

As well as the thousands of different cards with the word Christmas on it, some of them now offer different ones for those who are not Christians and do not associate themselves with the word.

Big bloody deal.
  • Options
    These stories have arisen every December that I can remember in the British press. As far as I know they are all spurious. There was one about a local council - in Manchester I think? - renaming Christmas 'Winterval' so as not to offend minorities. It caused mucho indignation and fuming about PCness gone mad.:D

Turned out that 'Winterval' was just a trade festival held in the area a few weeks before Christmas, and it had no connection with Christmas at all. Its an interesting psychological phenomenon though, like all recurring urban myths it points to a real fear in the collective psyche.
  • Options
    Yeah but it's still a CHRISTIAN celebration.
    Yarr, but that's a bit like saying Hallowe'en is a Christian celebration because of hell houses. Notwithstanding the Xtian Johnnycomelatelies putting their brand on the winter festival, if people want to celebrate this time of year, what they call it is none of Jack Straw's beeswax.

Anyhoo, Happy Christmas, everyone!

(I wonder if 'Happy Chrimbo!' would be seen as kowtowing to PC, like 'Truth, justice and... all that stuff'?)
  • Options
    Christmas is a Christian celebration (well, with Pagan roots but these days, Christian) and shouldn't really be celebrated by non-Christians (including atheists) anyway. It's a joke... I wish I didn't have to, it pisses me off. :yeees:
    It's a national holiday first and foremost. Like Boxing Day. Like New Year. Like bank holidays. What makes you feel you have to celebrate the meaning of it? You get a day off, you have fun, you spend time with the family. If you're not a Christian, where does the celebration of the birth of Jesus come into it? Just like if you're not a Pagan, where does the celebration of whatever it is they celebrate come into it? Winter festivals existed as secular celebrations, or celebrations of other religious traditions, long before Christianity got it's hand in on it. In fact if we really want to get technical, Christmas is purely the mass itself (Christ's Mass) and all of the rest of it is following pre-existing winter traditions. And no-one is forcing you to go to mass.
    I don't think anybody who isn't a practising Christian should get the day off or celebrate it. Maybe we should have another day though.
    Why not? They didn't invent the December 25th celebration, they merely chose a new meaning for it. What if the non-religious did get an entitlement to their own national holiday, and what if they followed in the Christian tradition of picking an existing national holiday of another religion, and taking it over? I don't know, maybe, December 25th?

But in one regard I agree with you. I suspect the church would greatly oppose any move to remove Christmas as a national holiday. That would do far more to destroy the Christian tradition of the country than a few card manufacturers writing Seasons Greetings.

And on that, I counted the first 12 cards I could find in our house, and 10 said Happy Christmas, or some variation of it. So as usual, it's bullshit gone mad, rather than PC gone mad.
  • Options
    Every card I bought this year says Christmas on it, and they weren't exactly hard to find.
  • Options
    thats also why you don't find town banners anymore with the words ''happy christmas'' written on them ... :rolleyes:
    it is PC gone insane
  • Options
    Yarr, but that's a bit like saying Hallowe'en is a Christian celebration because of hell houses.
    No, Christmas IS a Christian celebration.

Halloween can be 'all hallows eve', which comes before 'all saints day' or Samhain, which is Pagan.
    If you're not a Christian, where does the celebration of the birth of Jesus come into it?

But surely then you could adopt the traditions of Eid and say you're not celebrating it.
    What if the non-religious did get an entitlement to their own national holiday, and what if they followed in the Christian tradition of picking an existing national holiday of another religion, and taking it over? I don't know, maybe, December 25th?

Because it's atheists, some hardline anti-religious atheists benefitting from a Christian celebration. Some dressing their house up, gving presents, having advent calenders ect.... Don't you find it a bit hypocritical?
    But in one regard I agree with you. I suspect the church would greatly oppose any move to remove Christmas as a national holiday. That would do far more to destroy the Christian tradition of the country than a few card manufacturers writing Seasons Greetings.

I agree, it would. The church would have a hissy fit and cry Christianophobia or something and go boo-hooing to all twelve practicing Christians who go to church that day.

My beliefs are closer to Paganism. Had a talk to my Mum and she said I don't have to go to hers for Chrismas once I graduate, so will be doing so at Yule instead.

Christmas is just a fucking joke anyway. Not only is it not took seriously by most of the population, but it's just an excuse for people to spend money and get pissed and eat until they're bloated and constipated.

I don't really give a shit about cards not saying 'Happy Christmas'. If you're not a Christian, you shouldn't care.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Christmas might be in some part a Christian celebration, but nowadays it's mostly a cultural thing. Christian or not, people living in this part of the world do belong to our culture (or at least probably want to) and have no excuse for wanting to abolish the holiday. Unless they don't want to be a part of this culture.
  • Options
    For some. For others it means a completely different thing.

Presumably you will be expecting Christians who celebrate Christmas not to parttake in some of the traditions that have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus? Christmas tree, Christmas lights, kiss under the mistletoe etc.
    Christmas is just a fucking joke anyway. Not only is it not took seriously by most of the population, but it's just an excuse for people to spend money and get pissed and eat until they're bloated and constipated.
    Sounds good to me :)
  • Options
    On the issue of Radio 1 bleeping f***** (I blanked that myself but I think it's a forbidden word here), it seems inconsistent that they wouldn't allow n***** or any other racist word but suddenly f****** is acceptable. I don't care if they allowed it for 20 years, it's not an acceptable term.

Back on topic, I like "Seasons Greetings", despite being Christian. But for the last couple of years I haven't sent Christmas cards anyway and give the money to one of the charities I work for.
  • Options

Halloween can be 'all hallows eve', which comes before 'all saints day' or Samhain, which is Pagan.
    If you can manage to strip 'Christmas' of every pagan trimming, from decorated fir trees to Yule logs, via 'traditional' snow-covered hamlets, you might have a point...
  • Options
    Also, the Romans celebrated Saturnalia on or around the winter solstice (25th Dec) and Jesus was probably born in spring so Christmas was always designed to coincide with a national holiday - why should the national holiday not endure?

(That makes sod all sense, right?)
  • Options
    I thought Jesus was born in the Spring. Something to do with shepherds being out with their flocks at the time of the birth?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I thought Jesus was born in the Spring. Something to do with shepherds being out with their flocks at the time of the birth?

Yep.

The whole idea of Jesus being born in Winter was all part of a wider plan by the Church to eradicate Pagan traditions and replace them with Christian one's to help the process of assimilation into Christian culture in Pagan countries in Europe, worked well dontcha think?
  • Options
    At the risk of upsetting the PC brigade, whoever and wherever they may be, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    But there was a winter festival around Christmas time long before Jesus wasn't there? Jesus himself probably went to it. He went to a weding, why wouldn't he go to the christmas feast and celebration? This has probably been ommited from the bible by the people who wanted it's power for themselves. Or am I just paranoid?

Yes there was. There was also a 'lamb of god' before Jesus. Christianity has simply recycled a lot of older Pagan religions in to its own.

It really does not remove the fact though that Christmas today is a Christian celebration, whatever its roots. That people celebrate the Christian elements and not the Pagan... Unless of course, you celebrate on the 21st which is the winter solstice (of course speaking of neopaganism, sources of what the Celts did are few and far between, especially speaking of pre-reneissance druids... Although because of the Roman calender and a forthcoming leap year technically it was the 22nd).
  • Options
    If you can manage to strip 'Christmas' of every pagan trimming, from decorated fir trees to Yule logs, via 'traditional' snow-covered hamlets, you might have a point...

lol if you stripped Christmas of all its Pagan elements, there'd be nothing left!
  • Options
    Unless of course, you celebrate on the 21st which is the winter solstice (of course speaking of neopaganism, sources of what the Celts did are few and far between, especially speaking of pre-reneissance druids... Although because of the Roman calender and a forthcoming leap year technically it was the 22nd).
    How long before some bored bureaucrats suggest we have Christmas on the nearest Saturday to December 25th every single year? I wouldn't hold my breath. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

He was allegedly born on the Feast of Tabernacles - which is around September.
  • Options
    it's a national holiday and a chance to be with family so it's all good :) ii do not know anyone who does not call it xmas
  • Options
    lol if you stripped Christmas of all its Pagan elements, there'd be nothing left!
    Except most carols, and the nativity, and even presents