Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Victim of bank fruad

I found out that yesterday, two sums of money were withdrawn out of my Alliance and Leicester account via a European cash machine.

- CARD 200 EUR ON 18DEC UNICREDIT EXCHANGE £147.92
- CARD 100 EUR ON 18DEC UNICREDIT EXCHANGE £73.96
A loss of €300 / £222

I contacted my bank today and spoke to a very helpful lady. She will close my account while a new card is issued to me. It will be 7 working days though, plus extra due to Christmas shutdown. When I questioned about bills and mortgage, she said that those will be covered as my balance will remain live. If I want to withdraw cash, I need to visit my A & L branch and I can get it as long as I present photo-ID i.e. passport. Their fraud department will investigate my deductions - they know which line items they are in the statement. They'll try and recover the loss... not sure how definite it will be though.

Has anyone else on TheSite had experiences like this? It's certainly not the best time of the year for it to happen to me!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep happened not long ago to me on credit card.

Has also happened to a few of our friends.

It is quite common now :|

Also it rarely seems to get investigated further, even when the items would be easily traceable.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I once had someone spend over £200 on play.com, buy a £1000 holiday and a few other bits and pieces. It was my bank who told me as I had just had a statement, nothing untoward on it and still had a little bit of money in the account. I wouldn't have noticed for a few days.

It sucked but the bank was really good and I got all my money back.
  • Options
    which is why you should pay cash in places that take away your credit card out of your site to be processed such as restaurants.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    DG wrote: »
    which is why you should pay cash in places that take away your credit card out of your site to be processed such as restaurants.
    Don't you mean "shouldn't"?
  • Options
    One of my friends had someone in tailand trying to withdraw money from his account (luckily there wasnt anything in it), so the bank decided to watch it before they contacted him and it continued. Anyway, it got sorted and details were changed, then just recently he's had someone withdraw money using that old card which should be invalid!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Don't you mean "shouldn't"?
    No he doesn't.
  • Options

That probably helps, but in truth it does not stop it. You can be as careful as you like - nothing can stop the retailers you've used your card in throwing away their copy of the receipt into the general trash.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

The thing is though, I have never let my card out of my site. The only way that I can think that they got my details was through a very indiscreet reader thing on a cashpoint.
  • Options
    Yes, as with Littlemissy, that's the only thing I can think of in my case. A tampered ATM in that the reader part relays the card's chip wirelessly to a laptop computer that is situated nearby. A camera will then record and relay the PIN keypresses separately, again to the owner of the computer. I'm gonna have to cover my hand up when typing numbers in future.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to cover my hand up when typing numbers in future.
    I thought people already knew to do that... No offense or anything, but any ATM I've gone to in the last few years has "Cover your PIN" on the screen where it asks for it and it makes sense to do the same elsewhere.
    JsT wrote: »
    No he doesn't.
    My logic is, if you use it yourself you can make sure nobody's looking and that you're covering as best as possible. If someone takes it away you don't know what they're doing with it.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    exactly, which is why he said that if the shop assistant will require to take the card away to process you should refrain from using it, and pay using cash instead
    D'oh, I misread the original. :blush:
  • Options
    Hmmm... went to my A & L branch today. I found out that I'm the six person this week who have money taken out from a European ATM.
  • Options
    You claiming benefit or learning to drive? :p
  • Options
    To be honest, a lot of times they get the details from bank staff. Abbey National had a big problem about two years ago at their main call centre in Bradford, the overworked and underpaid call centre staff just took bribes to hand over card details.

My bank put a block on my card once I'd taken £100 out in Germany. It was a ballache trying to get the block taken off, but I'm glad they did. The £5 it cost in phone calls was better than the money that they could have taken, seeing as how I had a couple of grand in my account at the time.
  • Options
    I get DLA. Why JsT?
  • Options
    I get DLA. Why JsT?
    I was just joking bearing in mind the government have lost a ton of peoples details recently ;)
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    It is quite common now :|

:yes: unfortunately thats true and also unfortunately little is ever done about it
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I was just joking bearing in mind the government have lost a ton of peoples details recently ;)

That was Child Benefits wasn't it?
  • Options
    That was Child Benefits wasn't it?

thats what i thought to
    ... but he's got you thinking about it now
  • Options
    My mum had her debit card copied at a Shell Garage. The bank phoned her and asked if she'd be in Sri Lanka in the past 3 days.....
  • Options
    K where i worked when we took credit card payments all credit card details were logged,as in saved,if a transaction didnt go threw properly after the customer was away we use to just get a print off of all credit card transactions of that day.so my thinking is if it happins in my work everywhere that you use your credit card they will have all they need to fraud your account.
  • Options
    Writing just to follow up and as a testimonial to my bank: Two working days after I reported the fraud, the exact money was transferred back to my account. My bank (Alliance and Leicester) also reimbursed the ATM charges associated with the fraudulent ATM transactions. Not totally expected but a nice little touch to the good ending. Big thanks to the A & L bank.