Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Creationist theme park on its way to Britain

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't see why...

It's hardly going to compete with Alton Towers is it?

£3.5m would just about cover the cost of buying one attraction
  • Options
    Well you probably know my position about religious education and children. I have no problem with adults believing whatever they want to believe but I suspect such theme parks are not built with them in mind.

It seems that if creationists can't establish a presence in our schools' science classrooms they will find other ways regardless...

I simply feel sorry for any child who gets taken to such place.
  • Options
    Oh dear. They can do what they want I suppose. But I do wonder how any organisation can be given charitable status to peddle lies to children, so that should be removed straight away.
  • Options
    We already have a creationist theme park, in Somerset. It's called Noah's Ark Zoo Farm...

http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/education/
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

Well it does seem boring as fuck compared to going to a decent theme park...

But the creationists have lost the battle, and have done years ago. I can't see how its going to make the slighest difference apart from a few millionaires (or possibly just one) loosing lots of money on a theme park. It'll only be visited by creationist families, and they're already going to be teaching their children their beliefs.
  • Options
    But the creationists have lost the battle, and have done years ago. I can't see how its going to make the slighest difference apart from a few millionaires (or possibly just one) loosing lots of money on a theme park. It'll only be visited by creationist families, and they're already going to be teaching their children their beliefs.

Well quite. Doesn't mean the taxpayer should be supporting it though. Tbh, I don't have a problem with it in the sense that kids know what they see at Disneyland isn't really real. What I wouldn't like to see over here is the opening of creationist "museums" like they have in America, because I would consider the use of the word museum to be false advertising, since it suggests a factually-based experience. And considering the hissy-fit these people threw about gay people using the word marriage, I think they ought to be sensitive to the use of semantics. Although religious fundamentalists like this always tend to be very good for the secular cause.
  • Options
    'On television today there is so much sex and violence, it is no wonder our youth are binge drinking ...

lol

To be honest... This is the UK, not America. Who he fuck is gonna go to a religious theme park?
  • Options
    Wonder if it'll be built in 7 days :o
  • Options
    Well you probably know my position about religious education and children. I have no problem with adults believing whatever they want to believe but I suspect such theme parks are not built with them in mind.

It seems that if creationists can't establish a presence in our schools' science classrooms they will find other ways regardless...

I am not sure whether you have children or not, Aladdin, but would you educate your children with a balanced view on religion and atheism so that they can make up their own minds - uninfluenced by your atheist viewpoint? Probably not. I would imagine your household would be staunchly atheist throughout, thereby unwittingly affecting any 'personal choice' that they might have when they are older.

I think that as long as these religion is kept out of schools and politics, then parents are (mostly) entitled to bring their children up in their beliefs (the fact that they are currently over-involved is a different debate).

Yes, there are a number of religious fundamentalists in most religions that tar everyone with the same brush, but most Christians are ok people, just as most followers of other religions are.

If they want to go to a Christian theme park, good for them. Rather that than having feral children running around causing mayhem because there is nothing better to do.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I am not sure whether you have children or not, Aladdin, but would you educate your children with a balanced view on religion and atheism so that they can make up their own minds - uninfluenced by your atheist viewpoint? Probably not. I would imagine your household would be staunchly atheist throughout, thereby unwittingly affecting any 'personal choice' that they might have when they are older.
    If I ever have any children I would certainly ensure they are not taught any religion or stories from a religion as fact, whether at home or at school. When asked, I would tell them I believe there is no mystical deity behind the creation of the Universe and life as we know it though some people choose to believe otherwise, but that it cannot be proved either way and it is up to them to make an informed choice based on rationality and common sense.

Beats teaching the children religion, in my view.
  • Options
    ... and it is up to them to make an informed choice based on rationality and common sense.

But is that is YOUR idea of rationality and common sense? There are many highly intelligent people out there who do (for whatever reason) believe in a higher being.

If you were able to bring your children up without influencing them with your atheism (highly unlikely, in my opinion) and they happened to choose religion later in life, would you consider them 'irrational' and without 'common sense'?

p.s. I am agnostic myself (although leaning towards atheism these days) so haven't got a 'religious drum' to beat, by the way :) (i.e. I am probably fast becoming one of your 'rational', 'common sense' people :)
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I suspect it'll fall flat on its face and hopefully the AH Trust will realise we're just not as credulous towards fairy-tale nonsense here in the UK.
  • Options
    But is that is YOUR idea of rationality and common sense? There are many highly intelligent people out there who do (for whatever reason) believe in a higher being.
    The reason usually being they were indoctrinated and brainwashed from an early age.
    If you were able to bring your children up without influencing them with your atheism (highly unlikely, in my opinion) and they happened to choose religion later in life, would you consider them 'irrational' and without 'common sense'?
    Yes. I'd still love them though- nobody is perfect.
  • Options
    Well quite. Doesn't mean the taxpayer should be supporting it though.

I'd agree - I imagine the Charities Commission will be looking quiet closely at this as a theme park seems to go way beyond the remit of a charity.
  • Options

It's an interesting argument tbh. You will generally find far fewer believers in the high levels of any scientific field than the general population, but they are there (incidentally, there are also a few non-believers in the high levels of religions too, but that's another point). They often have difficulty explaining how they reconcile the two essentially opposite ways of thinking. But I've never heard an intelligent, rational religious person argue that those beliefs in particular are rational, in a similar way to how I've never heard anyone who walks on cracks, or is scared of flying is so for rational reasons. I find the people who do claim their religious belief to be on rational foundations tend to be the fundies, who have a vested interest in making their beliefs appear to be on a level playing field as science in terms of explaining the world. It's quite possible to be a rational human being, and have irrational phobias, practices and beliefs. Hell, I doubt anyone would not want to say goodbye to loved ones in a funeral, for example, despite it being a completely irrational thing to do. So it's possible to be a rational person with irrational beliefs, fears, actions, and the rest. In fact I'd say everyone is to some degree.
  • Options
    The reason usually being they were indoctrinated and brainwashed from an early age.

You are presuming this. They may have found their faith at a later age. And wouldn't your staunch atheism be indoctrination too? :)

Pah! Don't worry about replying ... I know where you are coming from really - it's just I don't know how much less indoctrination an atheist might have over their children than a theist might. Although, to be fair, atheists* might tend to have more accommodating views over people that are different to themselves. :)
  • Options
    I'd agree - I imagine the Charities Commission will be looking quiet closely at this as a theme park seems to go way beyond the remit of a charity.

So do most Public Schools IMO but many of them I believe qualify as charities
  • Options
    Although, to be fair, theists might tend to have more accommodating views over people that are different to themselves. :)

How do you come to that conclusion?
  • Options
  • Options
    How do you come to that conclusion?

Sorry - that should have read 'atheists' ... :)
  • Options
    Sorry - that should have read 'atheists' ... :)

Okay then. How do you come to that conclusion? ;):p
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    lol

To be honest... This is the UK, not America. Who he fuck is gonna go to a religious theme park?

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Okay then. How do you come to that conclusion? ;):p

I don't think I implied that I reached a definite 'conclusion' - I said 'may'. :)

However, the point I was putting across is that while 'religious' people are often less tolerant because of their beliefs, most atheists may well be more tolerant because they do not have scriptural 'instruction' to guide them to be otherwise.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly.

Though my main worry is that the main market for any "educational" tour will be school trips. And bear in mind that the same people that are funding our new academies are apparently linked to this in some way. It's all very dodgy.
  • Options
    Though my main worry is that the main market for any "educational" tour will be school trips. And bear in mind that the same people that are funding our new academies are apparently linked to this in some way. It's all very dodgy.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly.

The report doesnt make out its going to be strictly the Alton Towers type them park. Anyway the Somerset one mentioned earlier seems to be quite a popular attraction.

Perhaps people are more open-minded than we think, at Uni I attended an Islamic fair and was given a Koran and quite a bit of Islamic literature. It didnt convert me but I was interested in knowing more about their beliefs rather than writing off as fundamentalist bollocks.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    The report doesnt make out its going to be strictly the Alton Towers type them park. Anyway the Somerset one mentioned earlier seems to be quite a popular attraction.

Perhaps people are more open-minded than we think, at Uni I attended an Islamic fair and was given a Koran and quite a bit of Islamic literature. It didnt convert me but I was interested in knowing more about their beliefs rather than writing off as fundamentalist bollocks.
    Then again promoting a whole religion isn't necessarily an exercise in fundamentalism. Whether it is Islam or Christianity, an event seeking to promote the good aspects of a religion and to change the perception others might have of it is quite different to a mumbo-jumbo, kid-orientated theme park specifically designed to sell a pack of lies regarding a specific issue as the truth.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

Because obviously every American is a nut?

They actually have (although Bush does his best to get round it) much stronger divisions between Church and State there than we do. Bishops in the Lords anyone?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Because obviously every American is a nut?

They actually have (although Bush does his best to get round it) much stronger divisions between Church and State there than we do. Bishops in the Lords anyone?

Only on a purely official level. Try and get elected on a religious agenda in this country. And try and get elected without a religious agenda in America. There isn't a single senator who publically admits to not being religious in America (possibly one). I think that tells you all you need to know.
  • Options

If you were able to bring your children up without influencing them with your atheism

children are born atheist.