Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Steroid Injection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just had my final insurance medical (18 months after the accident due to ongoing injuries) and the consultant/surgeon who did my medical has recommended I have a steroid injection in my shoulder as physio hasn't been sufficient. My sister's been recommended the same, but refuses because she's heard really awful things about them.

My question is, has anyone here had one? and was it really painful? Did it go in from the front or the back?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Dad had one on his elbow, and he's the biggest wos on the planet when it comes to needles. You've got to do the injections lying down to stop him fainting.

His verdict was umcomfortable rather than painful, not really any worse than any other injection, and long term made a noticeable difference.
  • Options
    steroid injections are very straight forward not painful, small amount of oil based gear usually in a very thin pin, shoulder is a very easy place for one:)
  • Options
    steroid injections are very straight forward not painful, small amount of oil based gear usually in a very thin pin, shoulder is a very easy place for one:)
    All I've ever heard about them was to the contrary. My Dad had one, and said it wasn't pleasant at all (and he's a hard nut, so I'm worried).......
  • Options
    well at most i would say the injection will hardly be painful at all

at worst you may have a bit of a 'dead arm' feeling in your shoulder the next day but i doubt it
  • Options
    Have you had one yourself? into the muscle/joint??
  • Options
    into the muscle yeah
  • Options
    I've had them into muscle and didn't even feel the needle going in. Never had one into a joint, but if it helps, at the Rheumy clinic, all the jabs are given in the same room, just sectioned off by curtains, and all the people having joint ones seemed fine - no squealing or anything ;)
  • Options
    Hehe, thanks Kaffrin. Apparently, it makes a difference if they go in from the front or back of the shoulder. I'm getting it done by a private sports injury clinic, so hopefully, it'll be done by someone who's done them before (from the front). I'm just shitting myself :(