Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fuel depot protest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    I have no sympathy for people who drive in London and whine about oil prices... Take public transport like everybody else.

However, I do think farmers fuel should be sold cheaper and anybody who needs to fuel big tractors, vans and machinery (at least until the technology exists and is affordable to replace the fossil fuel guzzling machinery). Eating local seasonal food is better for the environment than apples flown in from SA.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for people who drive in London and whine about oil prices... Take public transport like everybody else

Maybe london but pubic transport in the rest of the uk is a joke
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

:yes: For me to get to work by public transport it's either 3 buses, or train and 1 bus. Its 8 miles and takes about 15 mins in the car. I'd bike it except for the fact that it's down single track country lanes that aren't safe on a bike.

It's definately about time, there's no need for us to be taxed twice on our cars.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    Yes, hence I said London.

I come from Wales, where transport is shit.
  • Options
    Granted that duty and tax on petrol in Britain is very high, but the recent hikes in price have had nothing to do with it.

The protesters should perhaps direct their anger at OPEC, the international markets, or even God for not creating more flora and fauna all those millions of years ago that would have resulted on more oil.

Oil will continue to rise, and eventually will dry up. And no British government will cut down the duty/tax to any meaningful level (if at all). And that's the thick of it. Best people started getting used to that.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Granted that duty and tax on petrol in Britain is very high, but the recent hikes in price have had nothing to do with it.

The protesters should perhaps direct their anger at OPEC, the international markets, or even God for not creating more flora and fauna all those millions of years ago that would have resulted on more oil.

Oil will continue to rise, and eventually will dry up. And no British government will cut down the duty/tax to any meaningful level (if at all). And that's the thick of it. Best people started getting used to that.

:yes: <
    I couldn't find a nodding head without a 'smile'.

I know that oil HAS to run out at some stage but I think OPEC is sitting on oil production because most of the dirty soap dodgers* know they have f&ck all left (sand anybody?) when that happens ... so it's make money while you can.

*joke
  • Options
    I have no sympathy for people who drive in London and whine about oil prices... Take public transport like everybody else.

However, I do think farmers fuel should be sold cheaper and anybody who needs to fuel big tractors, vans and machinery (at least until the technology exists and is affordable to replace the fossil fuel guzzling machinery). Eating local seasonal food is better for the environment than apples flown in from SA.

Fuel for farmers is already a lot cheaper than what the rest of us pay, pretty much tax free.
  • Options

I don't drive in central London except maybe on a sunday once every few months

but the tubes are a joke - the other day had to wait for 4 trains to go by before squeezing myself onto one of them - you simply couldn't fit any more people on the train - people's faces were squashed right up to the closing doors.

I think the solution should be that 1/3 of London start work at 8am and the other at 9am and the rest at 10am. And therefore spread the number of people during peak times over a long time frame. If they did the same for car drivers there would be less pollution as well cos cars would spend less time crawlin in traffic and starting and stopping.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    but the tubes are a joke - the other day had to wait for 4 trains to go by before squeezing myself onto one of them - you simply couldn't fit any more people on the train - people's faces were squashed right up to the closing doors.

Have you ever lived in Wales?

If I want to get to my mate's house I have to rely on the one bus an hour after 6... If I want to get to my other friend's house the buses stop after 6 altogether.

London has incredible transport. It's not erfect, but at least you know it will turn up
  • Options
    There is a simple solution to combat escalating fuel prices- use a fuel-efficient vehicle.

So even if public transport in your area is shite, many cars nowadays use about as much petrol as a zippo.

So instead of having a chavved-up Focus SR or a Range Rover that manage 13mph people changed to a smaller and more sensible car that does 50mph, people would cut their fuel bills by a massive margin regardless of how high the price of a litre gets.

Part of the idea of high duty and taxes on fuel is that people should use fuel efficient vehicles whenever possible- and if they don't they should be prepared to pay for it. However it seems apparent this message has still not penetrated some folks' skulls.
  • Options
    I think the solution should be that 1/3 of London start work at 8am and the other at 9am and the rest at 10am. And therefore spread the number of people during peak times over a long time frame. If they did the same for car drivers there would be less pollution as well cos cars would spend less time crawlin in traffic and starting and stopping.

exactly, this has been suggested that firms do this for years by staggering out start/end times since itll mean peopel spend less time travelling and are less pissed off too

doubt itll happen

and use a moped if you ain't carrying anything, mymates 125cc bike only needs filling once a fortnight, or a small car like a diesel mini (which do 60 mpg even in 'urban' areas)
  • Options
    This protest won't last. Us Brits haven't got the steely determination required. If we were the French, protests would continue for weeks. Government buildings would be vandalised, and our unelected PM would be harrassed everywhere he went. The Government would then forced into backing down. And as everyone knows, only one thing would make me happier than seeing this government being humiliated - that's seeing them all being thrown out of office, and then preferably into the sea.

Anyway, it's not the oil companies who are to blame for high prices - it's our greedy government. Petrol currently costs an average of £1.03 a litre, and at least 66p of that goes in tax. And what do we get for such extortionate tax rates? Useless public services, an education system that's a disgrace, roads which are maintained by clowns... stopping fuel deliveries will do nothing about the root cause of the high prices. The action needs to effect Bean and his Treasury-based puppet, Alistair Darling. As soon as they're affected, prices won't be able to come down fast enough!
    I come from Wales, where transport is shit.
    Precisely. I waited a couple of years before learning to drive, and now, I can barely live without my car.
  • Options

So instead of having a chavved-up Focus SR or a Range Rover that manage 13mph people changed to a smaller and more sensible car that does 50mph, people would cut their fuel bills by a massive margin regardless of how high the price of a litre gets.

My fuel guzzling Ford Focus goes a lot faster than 13mph. Cheek. :rolleyes:

Do you mean MPG by any chance.....? All these acronyms, I don't know how we survive in modern society, I really don't.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    My fuel guzzling Ford Focus goes a lot faster than 13mph. Cheek. :rolleyes:

Do you mean MPG by any chance.....? All these acronyms, I don't know how we survive in modern society, I really don't.
    You're right of course... it should have been mpg :o:D
  • Options
    You're right of course... it should have been mpg :o:D
    Yeah, but that still doesn't mean you can go faster than 13mph in London. :p
  • Options
    Part of the idea of high duty and taxes on fuel is that people should use fuel efficient vehicles whenever possible- and if they don't they should be prepared to pay for it. However it seems apparent this message has still not penetrated some folks' skulls.

Poppycock! The reason why fuel tax is so high is because it can be.

Next you'll be telling me tax on tobacco and alcohol is for the benefit of our health :D
  • Options

Easy to say when you can afford a new car. But anyone who can afford a new Range Rover will likely be able to afford any hike in fuel costs. So as usual, it's the poorer people who suffer the most, and all of the little old Fiestas and Corsas disappear from our streets, while you're still stuck at the junction trying to see past the brand new BMW X5 or Range Rover. People who are buying second hand don't have the choice. If you need a large family car in a particular price range, for example, then you have a choice of whatever people are selling, and that's basically 5 or 6 models all with a fairly similar mpg. You don't have the choice of a Prius.

This is before we mention people who use their car for work purposes. Pushing their fuel prices up only increases the number of Londoners moaning about how much they have to pay for a plumber.
  • Options
    exactly, this has been suggested that firms do this for years by staggering out start/end times since itll mean peopel spend less time travelling and are less pissed off too

doubt itll happen

When I used to drive to work if I tried to get there for 9am I'd have to leave about 7:30am to drive just 14 miles

However when I started work at 10am I could leave home about 9:15am - half the time.

So much less traffic -
  • Options
    Have you ever lived in Wales?

If I want to get to my mate's house I have to rely on the one bus an hour after 6... If I want to get to my other friend's house the buses stop after 6 altogether.

London has incredible transport. It's not erfect, but at least you know it will turn up

Well it looks like the government want the Welsh to walk or cycle ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7140682.stm
  • Options
    Poppycock! The reason why fuel tax is so high is because it can be.

Next you'll be telling me tax on tobacco and alcohol is for the benefit of our health :D
    I honestly believe that part of the reason is because there is a very real problem with road space in this country. It's not a question of being able to get away with it. They certainly don't try in many other areas.

But Britain's case is unique in Europe. This is a small island and there are simply too many cars and too many road journeys. The roads are full up. And we either restrict road traffic by making it very expensive (though still possible to those prepared to pay for it) or we're going to have to take more drastic measures and simply ban half of all cars from travelling every other day. I know which alternative is preferable.

Unless we keep building roads to meet demand ( roads that immediately fill up anyway) until every last square inch in the land has been tarmaced up and the country has become an unberable hellhole.
  • Options
    Well it looks like the government want the Welsh to walk or cycle ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7140682.stm

I used to cycle to school and college every day, and spent the first half hour of most days unsuccessfully trying to get my trousers to dry. And then there's that horrible moment when you have to put your wet coat back on for the journey home. I certainly wouldn't enjoy doing it in a busy city. It might be a good alternative for dry days (not that you can really judge what the British weather will be doing by home time), but people have invested such a massive amount in owning a car in the first place that they'd rather actually use it. Take into account insurance, road tax, the cost of buying the car, depreciation and the general cost of upkeep, and the amount of fuel used to get anywhere is only a tiny cost. Even if road pricing replaced road tax, the £175 road tax is only a tiny proportion of the cost of owning a car. Much less than a years worth of fuel for most people.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit

4 TRAINS? My god you must have had to wait a whole 15 minutes to go somewhere :rolleyes: Pretty much everywhere else you can't get on one train it lucky if the next one is 30 minutes behind....