Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Al Bangura to be deported..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10400,00.html

i think this sort of situation is quite sad, the lad has a bad past and sorts himself out, managing to become a professional footballer in our country, which is not easy.

and now gonna get deported mainly because Sierra Leone are not ranked in the top70 in the world.

all this 9 days after having a baby.

what really gets me tho is the amount of people this country supports, and when someone actually makes something of themselves, its bye bye.

tut

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    Whoever made the decision to deport him should be put on the first plane out of here themselves. This is madness, all too typical of our pathetic immigration system and its failed policies. Useless, here-today gone-tomorrow politicians are always pledging to get "tough" on immigration, knowing that their insincere promises will be reported with glee in the gutter press. So, do they turf out dangerous criminals and murderers? No - because the Human Rights Act that these hopeless cases introduced won't let them.

So they get rid of footballers instead. This is a man who's going to pay huge amount of taxes during his time as a footballer. He will contribute far more to the economy than any of our MPs, who spend half their time trying to see how many lies they can get away with including in their expenses. (there's no way I'm going to swallow the line that certain MPs travelled to the moon and back last year!)This is a man who should be allowed to remain in the country.
  • Options
    ^^ Proof that you just cannot please some people.
  • Options
    ^^ Proof that you just cannot please some people.

lol :)
  • Options
    who they expecting to raise his kid ?

Least he has a job and can provide for it .. The government is just full of fools.
  • Options
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3047183,00.html

common sense has prevailed and he's been given a work permit!

good stuff!
  • Options
    Common sense my arse, more like playing to the gallery.
  • Options
    they did what they needed to do to get this in the public eye, bollocks to ya if you think this guy doesnt deserve a work permit.

This guy has a job, relatively well paid, settled here, surely he deserves a work permit more than someone who turns up with nothing expecting hand outs.
  • Options
    This guy has a job, relatively well paid, settled here, surely he deserves a work permit more than someone who turns up with nothing expecting hand outs.

Thank you for making my point for me.

The only reason people are interested in this case, and support it, is because of the media attention. The vast majority of cases are similar and if you knew more about them then you would be arguing their case too. instead you fall into the same old stereotype of "scrounging lowlifes".

This chap came into the country as an illegal. He was given leave to stay and his time had run out, therefore the Home Office were absolutely right in their efforts to deport him - remember there are other "Brits" who can also play football and at least one, it could be argued, is prevented doing so because he is in their place.

Personally though I don't have a problem with this decision even if the reasons for it are populist rather than because it was the right thing to do. I just wish other such deserving cases had such widespread support.
  • Options
    This chap came into the country as an illegal. He was given leave to stay and his time had run out, therefore the Home Office were absolutely right in their efforts to deport him - remember there are other "Brits" who can also play football and at least one, it could be argued, is prevented doing so because he is in their place.

Being football it's probably not a brit who would take his place :p
  • Options
    Playing to the gallery? Maybe, but the right decision anyway.
  • Options
    Thank you for making my point for me.

The only reason people are interested in this case, and support it, is because of the media attention. The vast majority of cases are similar and if you knew more about them then you would be arguing their case too. instead you fall into the same old stereotype of "scrounging lowlifes".

Personally though I don't have a problem with this decision even if the reasons for it are populist rather than because it was the right thing to do. I just wish other such deserving cases had such widespread support.

jumping to conclusions are we??

i never mentioned anything about scrounging lowlifes or other people in a similar position, i was talking in regards to the topic of this thread not about the system as a whole.

and on your point of other Brits being able to do the job, maybe its because they are not good enough, if a player is good enough they dont just say "sorry we're full in this profession, see ya later", if someone is good enough and has the drive to make it, they can do.

He being employed at Watford is NOT doing somebody else out of a job, get a grip.

i honestly think that somebody who is already employed, hopefully paying taxes, hopefully putting money back into the economy, who also has a wife and child in this country deserves to be able to stay.
  • Options
    i never mentioned anything about scrounging lowlifes

Ahem.. wasn't it you that said...
    someone who turns up with nothing expecting hand outs.
    i honestly think that somebody who is already employed, hopefully paying taxes, hopefully putting money back into the economy, who also has a wife and child in this country deserves to be able to stay.

I honestly think that anyone who faces death at "home" deserves the right to stay, regardless of the employment or marital status.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Playing to the gallery? Maybe, but the right decision anyway.

I love your comments in this thread given your previous stance on immigrants.
  • Options
    I love your comments in this thread given your previous stance on immigrants.
    And what stance on immigrants might this be?
  • Options
    Seriously, do you want quotes?
  • Options
    they did what they needed to do to get this in the public eye, bollocks to ya if you think this guy doesnt deserve a work permit.

He doesn't fulfil the criteria for obtaining a work permit. He doesn't have exceptional skill and he hasn't represented his country in at least 75% of internationals. I'm sure he's a great guy but when I've seen him play I don't think "there's a footballer with exceptional skill".

He's been given one because of the public interest in the story. No other reason at all. That is wrong IMHO.

Who might they be then?

The woman who was on kidney dialysis when the immigration officials turned up, unplugged her from the wall and put her on a plane back to Nigeria? Very little media interest in that story.

Or maybe the woman from NIgeria who fled the country after being gangraped. She'd lived here for five years, her little boy was exceptionally
    bright and was awarded a scholarship at the best school in the city. She was deported, so was her son, despite the Bishop of Newcastle personally getting involved. Very little media interest in that story either.

The right decision has been made for Bangura, but its only been made because of who he is and because of what he does. That is completely and utterly wrong and makes a mockery of our immigration law. That's not a bad thing, but if he stays they all should.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Who might they be then?

The woman who was on kidney dialysis when the immigration officials turned up, unplugged her from the wall and put her on a plane back to Nigeria? Very little media interest in that story.

Or maybe the woman from NIgeria who fled the country after being gangraped. She'd lived here for five years, her little boy was exceptionally
    bright and was awarded a scholarship at the best school in the city. She was deported, so was her son, despite the Bishop of Newcastle personally getting involved. Very little media interest in that story either.

The right decision has been made for Bangura, but its only been made because of who he is and because of what he does. That is completely and utterly wrong and makes a mockery of our immigration law. That's not a bad thing, but if he stays they all should.

i agree, i can honestly say i never saw anything about those stories you mention, i can only make my judgement off what i hear in the news as i dont actively seek out these sort of stories.

those cases you mention are shocking, maybe even more so than the Bangura one.

i think you are right that he was only given a work permit because of the publicity, im not denying that.

it doesnt change the fact that someone like this should be deported, in my view anyway, wether in the public eye or not.