Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sugar withdrawl

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Its been 15 hours and its not too bad yet.

But fuck me, when it hits, its hell on earth. :banghead:

I'd give up smoking anyday than give up sugar.

Anyone else ever given up or cut down on their sugar levels ? Everytime I try i fall at the first hurdle. :no:

Comments

• Options
    Not really. I need some sugary substance or I get edgy.

I drink less fizzy drinks now and eat less chocolate so Im working on it. :thumb:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I don't tend to struggle, but its thinking about what you are eating and drinking its sugar content that is the most difficult and I always struggle.
  • Options
    I know how you feel, I have decided to make some severe changes in my lifestyle and havent had anything chocolate or sweet (other than fruit) not even fizzy drinks since the beginning of last week. I found it really hard at first, its got a little better and I keep telling myself every day I go without it the healthier I am.
  • Options
    I cut out the bulk of refined sugar to my diet about 2 years ago, and I'm really glad I did. It is really difficult initially, but I didn't cut out sweet things entirely, I still use honey, barley syrup etc in cooking, but if the craving for refined carbs is there (usually around once a month for me) I nibble on some good quality chocolate and that's enough.

How are you cutting? Are you cutting down gradually or have you given up completely?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    How are you cutting? Are you cutting down gradually or have you given up completely?

I tried giving up completely.

I was in Eldon Square today though and i was proper going cold turkey, I gave up and went and had a coffee with shitloads of sugar in it. :D

Still it was about 30 hours without sugar, thats a record for me. :thumb:

I have seriously found giving up sugar much harder than giving up smoking.
  • Options
    I gave it up once for a week - no sugar at all. Was said to be irratible and unlike myself, also quite dizzy and at one point I collapsed...

Should have taken that as a warning sign - instead it put me off ever giving it up again!!

Maybe I might start cutting down gradually :chin:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

I was in Eldon Square today though and i was proper going cold turkey, I gave up and went and had a coffee with shitloads of sugar in it. :D

Still it was about 30 hours without sugar, thats a record for me. :thumb:

I have seriously found giving up sugar much harder than giving up smoking.

Cut down gradually, going cold turkey will only increase the chances of a massive binge. Buy some Green and Blacks, stick it in the freezer, and have a piece daily - really helped a friend of mine.
  • Options
    How do you go about giving up sugar?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Cut down gradually, going cold turkey will only increase the chances of a massive binge. Buy some Green and Blacks, stick it in the freezer, and have a piece daily - really helped a friend of mine.

Cheers, will give it ago :thumb:

Why do I put it in the freezer?
  • Options
    My friend said it was harder to eat as it took a while to melt so she could savour it more rather than eating a piece and going for more.
  • Options
    I'm a cold turkey fan with EVERYTHING

lol

I an an all or nothing kind of guy.. but everyone is different, you will be fine soon mate
  • Options
    I'm a cold turkey fan with EVERYTHING

:D

My usual method is cold turkey, but Christmas shopping, kids screaming and a the worst headache ever took their toll :thumb:
  • Options
    oh id die without sugar, i tried carbs once and i was at everyones throats...another thing that would kill me is cutting down on/out salt, someone forced me to do that once and it wasnt pleasant (for me at least)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

i'm going to assume thats near abouts impossible since its in virtually anything and everything - not just the things you add it to.
    what exactly is the point of giving up sugar entirly?
  • Options
    chromium supplements are meant to help with sugar cravings
  • Options
    I'd rather have sugar then nutrasweet.

http://spinalalignment.com/?p=93