Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mugabe, the boycott and Clare Short. Oh boy...

Straight to the story. Says the Beeb:
"Foreign Secretary David Miliband has defended Gordon Brown's decision to boycott an EU-Africa summit over the attendance of Robert Mugabe. He said it would be 'absurd' for Mr Brown to meet Mr Mugabe, given the Zimbabwe leader's human rights record. Mr Miliband also hit back at claims by former minister Clare Short that the prime minister sent Baroness Amos in his place 'because she is black'." Click here for more details >>

First thought - I wonder whether a Tory MP could have got away with making the same comments as Clare Short did on this issue. But that's more of a side issue. However, I do have to admit I think that Macavity Brown is right on this issue - let's face it, when the leading critic is the president of the European Commission, you're bound to be doing something right. However, Mr Bean's explanation of why he met the king of Saudi Arabia recently has now been shot to pieces. Two regimes with human rights abuses (on a different scale, admittedly) - but two very different forms of treatment. Hmm...

Over to you, ladies and gentlemen...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For once (it must Christmas! ;) ) I kind of fully agree with you.

The fact that Mugabe was allowed to arrive at a military airport and aided to avoid the press is proof that many in Europe are ashamed of welcoming him. Where is Peter Tatchell when you need him?
  • Options
    Aladdin, I'll add your name onto my Christmas card list. I'm sending them out next week. :p

I think, however, that the fact he was allowed to use a military airport to avoid the journos was slightly more sinister. I find it amazing that European states are prepared to pander to the will of this despotic, appalling dictator. They should be demanding the removal of his regime, not indulging the racist bastard.
  • Options
    Kick Mugabe ass all the way back to that shithole of a country he has created.

To call him a leader is a joke, the man couldn't lead a dog around the park.
  • Options
    I read in a paper (and the article assured this was not a joke) that golfers in Zimbabwe had taken into the habit of having a drink before they did a round, because the price of the drinks will have gone up by the time they've finished playing.

The country is a fucking shambles in every possible way.
  • Options
    I think Brown is quite right on this. The Saudis are a more important partner, for various reasons (doesn't mean we have to give their King a carriage ride through London) than Zimbabwe. If we can stand up for human rights in Zimbabwe without losing anything for it, why not do so?
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    I think Brown is quite right on this. The Saudis are a more important partner, for various reasons (doesn't mean we have to give their King a carriage ride through London) than Zimbabwe. If we can stand up for human rights in Zimbabwe without losing anything for it, why not do so?

:lol: That wouldn't be standing up for human rights then would it? It would be standing up for economic benefits. Great leadership on human rights, that is, isn't it? :rolleyes: It's exactly the reason that any stance on human rights that this country engages in stinks of hypocracy. "Human rights matter, unless you've got a big enough wallet."