Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dead man walks in police station.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Full Story

A canoeist who walked into a police station five years after going missing has no memory of what happened, police have said.

This is a strange old interesting story. At first I thought he may have the same condition as Harold Bishop, but no, its starting to look like fraud or deception.

Police are now questioning the canoeist, after he was photographed in Panama six months ago with his wife even though he was supposed to be dead. :confused: (Full Story)

Funny how his wife decided to move to the tax haven soon after receiving his life insurance ;)

Now I know we shouldn't speculate, but- what the hell. :D I think it was a scam to get his life insurance.

What makes me wonder though is if it was a scam, was his family in on it? How could you keep quiet for 5 years, knowing what you know ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's certainly more to it than amnesia, quite a coincidence that his dad pipes in instantly about an obscure accident 50 odd years ago.
    Smells like a coverup to me.
    I know, it's really strange and there's definitely to be something to it that we don't know yet :chin: I agree with the thing about life insurance, that seems pretty likely.
    Yeah smells fishy, wonder how much the life insurance was?
    this whole thing stinks of scamtastic behaviour-tho I'll feel like a right bitch if its all genuine, but it does all seem a bit... I dunno...convinient, doesnt it?:chin:
    More I hear the more it sounds like a scam. It seems the police started reinvestigating a few months ago, so it seems an awfully big co-incidence this bloke just suddenly reappears...
    but why did he walk into the police station?
    _44281931_darwin_cleveland_polic.jpg

It's fraud. I guarantee it. :D
    More I hear the more it sounds like a scam. It seems the police started reinvestigating a few months ago, so it seems an awfully big co-incidence this bloke just suddenly reappears...
    It's a good job he doesn't remember a thing of the last 5 years eh? :D
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's a good job he doesn't remember a thing of the last 5 years eh? :D

I've forgotten the odd evening, but five years must have been one hell of a bender...
    This does sound like a scam, but it can happen, can't it? Remember that man a few years ago that turned up wandering along a beach somewhere. He didn't know his name or speak any english, and all they knew about him was that he could play the piano. I never did hear what happened to him.
    cheeta wrote: »
    This does sound like a scam, but it can happen, can't it? Remember that man a few years ago that turned up wandering along a beach somewhere. He didn't know his name or speak any english, and all they knew about him was that he could play the piano. I never did hear what happened to him.

I think they found his family - he was German if I remember

But, yes people loose there memory and dissappear, but its an odd coincidence that he looses it once and dissapears and then looses it again, but regains his previous memory. and it's even odder if this is just at the time the police start looking into the case again
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,677 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe he was abducted by aliens for 5 years.
    Or worked for a high secret government agency, who gave him specifically made drugs so that he'd forget everything about the time he worked there and nothing else.
    I think they found his family - he was German if I remember

But, yes people loose there memory and dissappear, but its an odd coincidence that he looses it once and dissapears and then looses it again, but regains his previous memory. and it's even odder if this is just at the time the police start looking into the case again

The timing involved does look a little suspicious. People losing their memory for no apparent reason (ie, no head injury, or alcohol abuse involved), does always raise suspicions though, I think. The writer Agatha Christie had some such experience where she disappeared for months and when they found her she'd created a fake identity for herself, which she seemed to believe was the real one. I don't think anyone really knows to this day whether it was a genuine nervous breakdown, or an attention seeking exercise because her husband was having an affair.
    Going back to the origonal question as to whether his family were in on it, if it WAS a scam, then it certainly looks like his wife was involved.

Furthermore, would you let your kids think you are dead for 5 years? Probably not.

And would you let your aged father think that his son had died in mysterious circumstances and run the risk that he may go to his death a broken man? Probably not.

If you did pretend to those people that you are dead, you are one cold heartless bastard.

I think a lot more is going to come out of the woodwork aside from the husband and wife being involved ...
    If it is a scam, and it certainly looks like it is, why leave Panama where you have exactly no risk of being charged and come home to turn yourself in? Surely he cant have just felt guilty enough to come home?
    Maybe, and just hypothetically - if the police were starting to suspect something more sinister than fraud could he have come forward to prove he was alive?
    I just wonder what's going to happen with the life insurance money now. It turns out he's now alive - so will the company be demanding its money back?
    There is so many different factors that COULD have been in this situation that its a very difficult to percieve what really happened
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I just wonder what's going to happen with the life insurance money now. It turns out he's now alive - so will the company be demanding its money back?

Of course it will, but whether a Panamanian bank will hand it over is another matter altogether.
    o22o wrote: »
    There is so many different factors that COULD have been in this situation that its a very difficult to percieve what really happened

The fraud now seems pretty evident ...
    The sons are saying they knew nothing about it, which if true, is a pretty shitty thin g of the parenets to do...
    I love this story. More than 5 years to plan and execute, and less than 5 days to find them out. :lol:
    Jim V wrote: »
    Maybe, and just hypothetically - if the police were starting to suspect something more sinister than fraud could he have come forward to prove he was alive?

maybe he took maddy?
    It gets even stranger

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7133961.stm

he was living with his wife :shocking:
    The more this story is on the news, the less sense it makes.
    he wanted to come back because he missed his sons? the sons who had no idea ge was alive?