Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"Christianophobia" in Britain. Apparently...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote: »
    Muhammed certainly existed, as did a historical Jesus.
    Ohh, he was actually documented to be a real person?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Can we try to have at least one Islam-free thread please?

+ 1

As for the thread, I think it's good that our MPs are looking out for the religious freedoms of all parties. Even if it's 'PC gone mad' or stupid, it's better that they at least have a voice, rather than large arts of society being alienated and their MPs not willing to debate the issues.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Ohh, he was actually documented to be a real person?

Yeah - Jesus was mentioned by contemporary historians ... and there is quite a lot about Muhammed.
    J wrote: »
    And I reckon divine Jesus existed too going by my stigmata.
    Why do different people experience their stigmata in different places?
    Teagan wrote: »
    Yeah - Jesus was mentioned by contemporary historians ... and there is quite a lot about Muhammed.

I think his dad or something is in the doomsday book. I have no idea. By dad, I don't mean God, I mean Mary's husband, Joseph. And his career was that of a carpenter.

And J - you're a nice bloke, and I'm trying to say this is a nice way - but you need some help mate. Dunno if you've been stressed but the past few months your posts have sometimes been gibberish and going on about nonsense. All I want is to see you happy and healthy, and atm it doesn't seem to me like you're either.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    And J - you're a nice bloke, and I'm trying to say this is a nice way - but you need some help mate. Dunno if you've been stressed but the past few months your posts have sometimes been gibberish and going on about nonsense. All I want is to see you happy and healthy, and atm it doesn't seem to me like you're either.

:yes: Seriously J - we've tried this before - P&D isn't a healthy or useful place for you right now - so please keep to the agreement you made.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Can we try to have at least one Islam-free thread please?

Would be a fucking nice change wouldn't it - I'm still expecting to hear how Islam makes people fat... :p
    Jim V wrote: »
    Would be a fucking nice change wouldn't it - I'm still expecting to hear how Islam makes people fat... :p

Dieting offends God, didn't you know that? :rolleyes:
    Jim V wrote: »

But it DOES. Didn't you know that? There's a verse in the Qur'an which says thou shalt not diet. (OK, I made that up).

Back on topic, this isn't just one MP, there seems to be a general trend among religionists at the moment to paint themselves as victims. I don't know when it started, or why. It seems like every other week there's someone like Christina Odone whining about "militant" atheists, (whatever that's supposed to mean), and the terrible discrimination they face.

Its people who cannot handle their favourite memes being criticized, I guess.
    J wrote: »
    Jesus wasn't the only person to have stigmata?

Jesus didn't have stigmata. Stigmata are bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations CORRESPONDING to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,677 Skive's The Limit
    Actually "stigmata" simply means "spots", as in "I called my dog Spot because he has spots". :p
    Actually "stigmata" simply means "spots", as in "I called my dog Spot because he has spots". :p

Actually, the term originates from the line at the end of Saint Paul's Letter to the Galatians where he says, "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus," with "marks" in the Latin Vulgate rendered as "stigmata."
    I think his dad or something is in the doomsday book. I have no idea. By dad, I don't mean God, I mean Mary's husband, Joseph. And his career was that of a carpenter.

The Doomsday book is a survey of 11th century England. Jesus was born in 1st century Judea.

That aside, the census carried out that took Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem did happen in the early C1 AD (though as far as I know it hasn't survived) and Jesus has been mentioned by Tacitus amongst other Roman historians.
    cheeta wrote: »
    Back on topic, this isn't just one MP, there seems to be a general trend among religionists at the moment to paint themselves as victims. I don't know when it started, or why. It seems like every other week there's someone like Christina Odone whining about "militant" atheists, (whatever that's supposed to mean), and the terrible discrimination they face.
    I've always wondered what that one means too. If people like Richard Dawkins are militant atheists for expressing their opinion in a book, then I don't know what that makes half to the religious people in the public eye.
    cheeta wrote: »
    Its people who cannot handle their favourite memes being criticized, I guess.
    Seems so. Where are the calls for the blasphemy laws to be scrapped?
    I've always wondered what that one means too. If people like Richard Dawkins are militant atheists for expressing their opinion in a book, then I don't know what that makes half to the religious people in the public eye.

Seems so. Where are the calls for the blasphemy laws to be scrapped?

Well said! The blasphemy laws are a complete joke, FFS. We recently had the stupid spectacle of the BBC being sued under those laws for broadcasting Jerry Springer - The Opera. Obviously the prosecution was unsuccessful, but what a joke that there was even a law that allowed that in 21st century Britain.
    piccolo wrote: »
    The Doomsday book is a survey of 11th century England. Jesus was born in 1st century Judea.

That aside, the census carried out that took Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem did happen in the early C1 AD (though as far as I know it hasn't survived) and Jesus has been mentioned by Tacitus amongst other Roman historians.

Well the doomsday book was a census. I do know when he was born, no need to patronise me :p.
    Well the doomsday book was a census. I do know when he was born, no need to patronise me :p.

Well, you did seem a bit confused. I thought you were joking at first. The Domesday book only affected England - not anywhere near Palestine. ;)
    It wasn't deliberate, I was just chipping in. The Doomsday book was a specific census so I wanted to clear that up.
    You might be interested in looking over some of the stuff on the Historicity of Jesus, if it's something you're interested in. The wikipedia page is as good a starting point as any.
    piccolo wrote: »

My understanding is that there are no surviving contemporary records of him*. The mentions of him are from a century or two later, probably culled from histories/records which were around at the time, but which have since been lost

* if one ignores the Gospels of course;)

(I wish one could delete a post rather than having to put a '.' or whatever to cancel it) :)